Denver Spring Meet 2017 - May 20th
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #18 of 100
I may be able to bring an iSine 20. Wow, I was sorely disappointed in the iSine. Just sounds very dull to me. I much prefer my BlueBuds and IE80's. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #19 of 100
I may be able to bring an iSine 20. Wow, I was sorely disappointed in the iSine. Just sounds very dull to me. I much prefer my BlueBuds and IE80's. 

What source were you using? I'm listening to the iSine 10 as I type this, and I've noticed it's more source-dependant than anything I've ever seen. Out of my smartphone headphone jack? Like you described, bland, dull, lifeless. Out of the Chord Mojo? HOOOOLLLEYYYYY SMOKES suddenly it sounds phenomenal!

I'm currently listening using a weird, unidentified M-Audio USB DAC that seems to have come free in some forgotten software package from 10-15 years ago, but it's sound quality is seriously excellent. I sold my Dragonfly Red after finding it, because the sound was indistinguishable. The Red has a tiny bit more gain, and uses a tiny bit less off the phone battery, but cost $200 more.

I'll bring the M-Audio DAC up to the meet, maybe somebody can help me figure out what it is. But the iSine 10 sounds positively amazing through it!

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #20 of 100

What source were you using? I'm listening to the iSine 10 as I type this, and I've noticed it's more source-dependant than anything I've ever seen. Out of my smartphone headphone jack? Like you described, bland, dull, lifeless. Out of the Chord Mojo? HOOOOLLLEYYYYY SMOKES suddenly it sounds phenomenal!

I'm currently listening using a weird, unidentified M-Audio USB DAC that seems to have come free in some forgotten software package from 10-15 years ago, but it's sound quality is seriously excellent. I sold my Dragonfly Red after finding it, because the sound was indistinguishable. The Red has a tiny bit more gain, and uses a tiny bit less off the phone battery, but cost $200 more.

I'll bring the M-Audio DAC up to the meet, maybe somebody can help me figure out what it is. But the iSine 10 sounds positively amazing through it!

I was using the iPhone jack. I will try from my main system and see. Thanks. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #21 of 100
No promises, as I'd be driving up from Colorado Springs, but I've been wanting to go to one of these things for a minute.

I'm also curious about how often you guys see Springsians up there. It would be funny if there's actually a critical mass down here and we could be having our own meetups, if anyone only tried. Then again, too many people here are aggressively unhappy, and who wants to hang out with that guy?

I haven't perused the thread yet, but I'm really interested in listening to the middle of Hifiman's planar lineup, which I may be buying or trading my way into soon. I also want to find out how my extensively modded HE-400 compares to the HE-500. Sometimes I think it's on the same level as my LCD2, other times not so much.

What I'll have to bring will definitely change between now and then, but it'll probably include most of the following:

Both of my quality vintage cans that I keep mostly for looks, but both are still enjoyable listens: the Pioneer SE L40, and Dynatronic MD-300VM

LCD2.2 nonfazor
Sine
iSine 10 or 20 (still TBD)
Extensively modified HE-4000 (4000 was originally a typo, now it's my goal to somehow live up to it)
Sennheiser MX985
Koss KDE250
A&K XB10
Klipsch Status (because it's seriously underrated and underappreciated)
Audio Technica M50 (in case anyone wants to see how much better it is compared to the M50x
wink.gif

Plus anything in my profile anyone requests, but I think that's most of the rare, interesting, and high quality stuff

I'd like to request the VE Monk, Philips SHE3905, and any of your different DAPs that you'd like to bring along.

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #22 of 100
In addition to posting equipment here, please add it to this spreadsheet. Help us keep better track of it all. I added this to the first post, and made some other minor edits. 

I'm thinking I will bring the turntable! Anyone who wants to bring vinyl to listen to, feel free. I'll bring some records too, mostly Electronic Music, though my go to test records are usually Pink Floyd's Wish you Were Here or The Wall. 

Sources - 
Technics 1200 -> Paul Hynes Phono Preamp.
Fiio X5 (1st Gen) -> Soekris R2R DAC

Amps -
ECP Black Diamond
Cavalli EHHA

Headphones -
Sennheiser HD-800 Anax Modded
HiFiMan HE-500 with he-400i headband
Alessandro MS-Pro
Sennheiser HD-650, silver cable

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #23 of 100
A couple of "friends" from another headphone site will also join. I posted the meet info their too. They are a fairly ornery bunch, but they promised (sort of) to behave. 
wink_face.gif

They will be bringing some fairly high end gear, so be prepared to be pleasantly surprised. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #24 of 100
  A couple of "friends" from another headphone site will also join. I posted the meet info their too. They are a fairly ornery bunch, but they promised (sort of) to behave. 
wink_face.gif

They will be bringing some fairly high end gear, so be prepared to be pleasantly surprised. 

Very nice! Hopefully it's a nice turnout. I'm personally hoping that someone brings Sony's new flagship. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #25 of 100
Hah I have an X5 1st+A5 I rather enjoy. Got both for $160.

Just curious, what are using to connect the X5 to the A5?
Currently using stock jumper cable that came with the A5 to connect my X5 3rd gen with my headphones.
If there is any movement at all I get all kinds of different issues. From just a little bit of crackling to losing audio in one ear or the other to audio cutting out entirely.
Wondering if it is the connector cable or if there is something wrong with the connectors within the device itself.
Recommendations?

-poto

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #26 of 100

Well, I tried the iSine 20 through my main rig (Bimby -> Taurus). My "meh" still holds. Way too polite for me. Bass and staging are great, but it sounds veiled, like a stock HD650. Bass has impact. I even turned up the treble with eq, and no life. Even with eq flat, there is no life and yet they are a bit sibilant. 

The ones I have have no stock tips, so I use a Noble tip that the loaner crew threw in the box. These iSines are a loaner, but I was the last on the list. I'm not sure I will have them by May, but if I do, I will bring them.

If you like a really warm/polite sound, you might like these. For the price, I think there are many IEMs to choose from. If you wan open IEMs, then these might be it.

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #27 of 100
Does anybody coming to this meet have an LCD2 rev. 2 w/ fazor? My LCD2.2 is a non-fazor, and getting to hear the difference before deciding to commit to switching would be extremely helpful!

i know others will have an HE-500 and HE-560, so that's good. Anybody have one of the new Monoprice planars? :p

I'd like to request the VE Monk, Philips SHE3905, and any of your different DAPs that you'd like to bring along.

If only all requests were this easy! That's all stuff I store in the truck so i always have something if I need it :) The SHE3905 is starting to get harder to find,.but I'm pretty sure you can still find them on.ebay for <$10. TBH though, you shouldn't wait for the meet, just dive in and order one of each. You're going to after the meet anyways, why not start enjoying them now?

Well, I tried the iSine 20 through my main rig (Bimby -> Taurus). My "meh" still holds. Way too polite for me. Bass and staging are great, but it sounds veiled, like a stock HD650. Bass has impact. I even turned up the treble with eq, and no life. Even with eq flat, there is no life and yet they are a bit sibilant. 

The ones I have have no stock tips, so I use a Noble tip that the loaner crew threw in the box. These iSines are a loaner, but I was the last on the list. I'm not sure I will have them by May, but if I do, I will bring them.

If you like a really warm/polite sound, you might like these. For the price, I think there are many IEMs to choose from. If you wan open IEMs, then these might be it.

I've actually learned something important in the time since my last post. The iSine 10 (and presumably 20 as well) actually needs some burn time. Between 4-6 hours for the 10, it seems. So that's pretty short, but i was surprised it happened at all. I'm certain that a large part of my.source-related dissatisfaction was actually due to unburned drivers. It's still more source dependent than most gear, just not to the crazy extent I was thinking

Although if other people demo'ed it before you, burn-in is obviously not going to be relevant to your experience. Warm is good, "polite" isn't something I desire or currently hear in my 10. But "veiled like the HD650?" Veiled is probably the LAST adjective id expect to hear! I guess nobody knows what you heard but you. Did anyone else before you have a similar impression?

I presume you're meaning the Auralic Taurus headamp? That's some serious quality there (isn't it balanced though? Do you have a balanced cable?). Assuming there's nothing wrong with the unit, I've got nothing left to blame except for good old subjectivity.

If all goes as planned today, I'll have enough (after selling the 10) to order a 20, so I'm hoping to get that going this weekend. I'm stuck relying on probably my least trustworthy friend though, so it's far from a sure thing. :/

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #28 of 100
Although if other people demo'ed it before you, burn-in is obviously not going to be relevant to your experience. Warm is good, "polite" isn't something I desire or currently hear in my 10. But "veiled like the HD650?" Veiled is probably the LAST adjective id expect to hear! I guess nobody knows what you heard but you. Did anyone else before you have a similar impression?

I presume you're meaning the Auralic Taurus headamp? That's some serious quality there (isn't it balanced though? Do you have a balanced cable?). Assuming there's nothing wrong with the unit, I've got nothing left to blame except for good old subjectivity.

Others with good rep made comments like "lush mids" for the iSize 20. I agree with that. Note, I don't like the stock HD650, but many do. I think if you like the HD650, you will like the iSine. I'm not saying they are bad; I'm just saying I don't like the sound signature. I might just be spoiled with my other cans, but many would say all my other cans are bright. 

My Auralic Taurus MkII does have balanced out, but I don't have a balanced cable for the iSine. I doubt that would make a difference. 

At any rate, I will bring 'em if I still got 'em and you all can decide for yourselves. Or possibly @DJ The Rocket will have some.

Apr 1, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #29 of 100
I'll also bring a balanced cable for anything that terminates in a 3.5mm phone jack, and also one for the older hifiman headphones that I'm currently building.  I'm also willing to experiment if there's anything y'all really want to hear with a balanced cable.

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #30 of 100
 I'm gonna try and make it to the event. Really would like some advice on an amp and headphones to go with my IBasso DX200. (The DX200 has a 3.5mm single ended output, 3.5mm line out, Digital Optical out, and a 2.5mm balanced output) So far I only have been using the Optical output in my car, but I've heard the balanced output is the way to go for headphones.

Would love to hear a few headphone set ups and get some advice from people in the know. :)

P.S. (I bought the DX200 to use in my car audio set up, it sounds wonderful hooked into my Helix DSP Pro via a Vodka Digital Optical cable)
Anybody wanting a car audio demo will be served. It's a pretty good one. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back