Creative Labs Sound Blaster E3 review
Apr 17, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #16 of 35
  How does the bluetooth connectivity option change the sound on this? Really interested in buying one to replace my new broken RECON3D USB I used on my desk for my Sennheiser HD25-1 II's, but at the same time also double-down and use it on-the-go for wireless connectivity for my MX 685 Sports while running, skating, or whatever.

With that last point in mind, how hard is it to shake the clip from, say a sweater or t-shirt?

(Also, if you're looking for one in Canada, seems only Canada Computers and Amazon have them in-stock...)

Bluetooth doesn't seem to change the sound at all, sounds great.

Jun 18, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #18 of 35
Thanks for this review, it's got some great information / comparison between the chip choices in the E3 vs the E5.

I picked up an E3 a few weeks ago, and am really happy with it so far. Loving the sound, portability, and the software is pretty good. Hoping to flesh this post out more with a bit more on my thoughts once I "break" the unit it more :)

Jul 10, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #19 of 35
I've had mine for about 2 or 3 months now, and been completely happy except for the static and hissing noise when used in USB Mode. Nothing seems to take it away except unplugging it, shutting it off, and restarting the unit. Any ideas as to why?

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #20 of 35
  I've had mine for about 2 or 3 months now, and been completely happy except for the static and hissing noise when used in USB Mode. Nothing seems to take it away except unplugging it, shutting it off, and restarting the unit. Any ideas as to why?

Yes, it's your USB bus. What you are hearing is your PC internals at work.Try to use a dedicated (separate) USB bus or a self powered hub.

beerchug.gif

Aug 23, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #21 of 35

Problem is likely a ground loop if it is a desktop computer. I have no problems with noise on mine as I have only one thing grounded & that is my PC tower

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #22 of 35
Since this seems to be the most popular E3 thread, I will add my comments here instead of creating a new thread:

Got it a few days ago and while the sound is pretty good, it has some annoying quirks:

1. It doesn't play at 44.1/16 sample rate in Windows. Foobar confirms this:

Not sure if I did something wrong when installing the drivers, but I can't get it to show 44.1/16 sample rate in the control panel.

2. It has some small amount of internal memory and it saves part of its configuration even after disconnected from the PC. 
I haven't tested this quirk with every features but with volume I am 100% certain it happens: whatever is the volume you have it when you disconnect from the PC, it will have the same internal volume when you connect it to an android device.

This is kind of annoying because it handles volume slightly differently in each device:

On Windows 10, its volume buttons control the general PC volume when it is being used as the output. In principle it should be feeding the DAC with the full data stream and them regulating the volume solely with the amp, but you can't tell for sure since the volumes are not separate.

On android (6.0 on a Nexus 5) with OTG cable: when you press the volume, it controls the overall system volume, you can even see the standard volume slider that shows up when you press the volume keys. Again, you can't tell if they system is feeding the DAC at full volume or not. The odd behaviour here is this: if you go to the PC and lower the volume and then plug it into the android device, you get an overall low volume. It is as if the internal volume set on the PC is saved as some kind of baseline volume and then it is controlled as fractions of this baseline volume. Weird to say the least, but I tried several times and can confirm it is 100%.

On android (6.0 on a Nexus 5) with bluetooth: this is the only situation that it seems to behave "correctly" as a DAC/AMP: Bluetooth volume in the phone is independent of the volume in the unit itself. Still you can't be sure it is regulating the volume solely with the amp.

3. On all 3 modes it has very annoying problem with system sounds:
On Android, if music is playing, it gives high-pitched noises (annoying and sometimes even painful) whenever a system sound plays. If no music is playing, then it just clicks, but in either case it doesn't play system sounds correctly.
On the PC it also happens though less often and not consistently.

4. Its amp is indeed "too much" for IEMs. It runs at minimum volume with my Sony XBA-A1 and still I can hear sometimes ground noise. With my Fisher Audio 150ohm (can't remember the model name) it runs beautifully, powering it very well.

The issue with 44.1/16 is strange to say the least:

How can they say that it plays at 44.1/16 on mobile devices but it doesn't on PC?
How is it possible that NO SINGLE REVIEWER noticed this?

Mar 24, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #23 of 35
BTw, for people in this thread that have the E3 - could you please check it if you have the same issue in your unit? I am wondering if I somehow got a weirdly defective one that doesn't do 44.1. The info on the PDF posted in the 1st post shows that the DAC is capable of 44.1

Mar 24, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #24 of 35
  BTw, for people in this thread that have the E3 - could you please check it if you have the same issue in your unit? I am wondering if I somehow got a weirdly defective one that doesn't do 44.1. The info on the PDF posted in the 1st post shows that the DAC is capable of 44.1

Windows 8.1 and 10, as well as OS X Yosemite and El Capitan only support 48/96KHz.

beerchug.gif

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #25 of 35
There's no setting for it to play 44.1k/16 in Windows either, only options for 48k/16, 48k/24 and 96k/24.

With regards to the volume, I'll have to get some more time to play with it. Typically I it them with my Sennheiser HD25-1 ii's at the desk, and my Sennheiser MX 685 sport's or AKG K267's on the road. As mentioned, there isn't any noticeable  degrade when it comes to Bluetooth Mode, but the audio settings DO NOT save into the unit on mine. There is a very noticeable difference from when I'm using it through E3 Control Panel, versus Bluetooth mode on my HD25-1 ii's.

2 complaints:
Cannot take multiple inputs
Bluetooth is finicky, connecting only to the MOST recent device, and not recognizing older paired devices, but once it connects, it's pretty reliable with both my old iPhone 5, and iPhone 6S Plus. My Asus G750JX laptop's Internal bluetooth is junk.

I've never used the OTG functionality.

Jun 5, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #27 of 35
When I connect Sound Blaster E3 with my phone (Xiaomi Mi4c on Android 5.1.1) by AUX (amp mode), volume control and stop tracks/answering phone calls work correct but changing tracks by pilot didn't work - In USB OTG and bluetooth modes everything works fine. I have tried many players and different AUX cables, but without success. Any ideas? Thanks for possible help 
smile.gif

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #30 of 35
Hi!

LE E3 actually can play at higher volumes (with OTG inverted, so you charge e3 with your phone battery) if you connect it to a pc, set the volume high and WITHOUT turning the E3 off you connect it to the smartphone.

Or you can install NEUTRON player (set it up to have USB direct control in the app's options, no root needed), connect, set the volume, disconnect, reconnect not allowing USB access (via the popup that Android will show) and play whatever you want at high volume.

This way everithing runs, volume, controls, etc even with Spotify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back