Considering Beats Studio
Sep 18, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #17 of 18
i really do like the solo 2.0

May 21, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #18 of 18
In my opinion, the Beats Studio are a one-trick pony that really made me appreciate my Sennheiser HD 280-pros even though the latter cost a third of the Beats Studio price.

The Beats Studio impressed me out of the box. Holding them, they didn't feel cheap. (They did, however, feel a little delicate.)

The problems started when I put them on. Regardless of what you might've heard, Beats are uncomfortable relative to other headphones. At least, I found them to be so. Although I have never considered my 280s comfortable, I still prefer them to the Beats. If you want to feel what comfort feels like, put on the Bose Quiet Comfort or the Sony MDR-1000x; these are my reference for comfort.

The Beats Studio have no soundstage to speak of. The audio space they create is very small and narrow. All the instruments sound miniaturized, even more so than on my Sennheiser 280s, which already make things sound smaller than they do on headphones like the Senn 650s. Sonically, the Beats are a one-trick pony. I found them good at playing only one kind of music: synth-heavy pop and hip-hop. For example, Depeche Mode sounded excellent on the Studios. It was like Wow! But that's about it. Every other kind of music, especially classical, sounded like garbage to me. The Beats really made me appreciate the 280's versatility.

Beats Studio have really punchy bass, which I liked. But after a while I found it fatiguing. Even with hip-hop, which I rarely listen to, I was missing the dark chocolatey smoothness of the phones I usually use for this kind of music - my Sennheiser PX 100-IIs. In other words, I was craving my $60 Senns over the $379 Beats. The Senns are darker than the Beats, but also warmer. Moreover, everything sounds bigger on them.

The tuning on the Beats Studio sounds artificial. Their creators weren't going for neutrality. I don't know why they are called studio phones. If you want to be able to tell well recorded material from badly recorded stuff, these are not the headphones for you. Here again, I much prefer my 280s, which are headphones you can actually work with in a studio. For critical listening, the 280s are much more neutral, balanced, and natural-sounding.

When you consider that the Beats have weak noise cancelling, I see no reason to buy them over the Bose QC or Sony MDR-1000x. Needless to say, even with the $180 discount, my Beats Studio went back to Best Buy. After looking at their lineup, the only headphones I would consider buying at Best Buy are the Sony MDR-1000x. In the meantime, I ordered the Monoprice 1060s off the Internet and am really looking forward to hearing them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back