Chord Mojo vs. OPPO HA-2SE Comparison Review
Jun 1, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #76 of 105
Thanks for this review! I ended up getting the mojo again, as it is the cheaper device here. I almost bought the HA-2 SE just because it seemed more versatile, but on the other hand I have a Xduoo XD-5 with just that tad more options to go with.

Jun 1, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #77 of 105
Thanks for this review! I ended up getting the mojo again, as it is the cheaper device here. I almost bought the HA-2 SE just because it seemed more versatile, but on the other hand I have a Xduoo XD-5 with just that tad more options to go with.
Where did you find a Mojo priced less than the HA-2SE? At most retailers, the Mojo is almost twice the cost of the HA-2SE.

Jun 1, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #78 of 105
I have the SE and have to say it is a fantastic little device. Use it primarily with my laptop but also with my phone when out auditioning headphones.

Jun 1, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #80 of 105
Introduction

With my iPhone 7 no longer having a headphone jack, and with the portable headphone amplifier and DAC market getting more competitive than ever, I thought it was time to consider making the switch from my larger Schiit Audio Lyr 2 class A hybrid desktop amp, and an external DAC, to an all-in-one portable unit. The two of such devices I tried, in order to see which one would win me over, were the OPPO Digital HA2-SE, and the Chord Electronics Mojo. While these two devices are in my opinion geared toward a different type of user (and price should be an indicator, with the OPPO being USD 300 and the Chord being USD 600), I nonetheless thought it would be worthwhile to compare the two to see if the Mojo really is worth double the price, or for the average person the HA-2SE is the better value proposition.

Packaging

Both devices ship with nice packaging, with the OPPO being a large box than the Mojo.

What comes in the box, on the other hand, is different...

In the HA2-SE's packaging, you get a USB Micro-to-Micro OTG cable for use with your Android phone, you get a 3.5-to-3.5 interconnect cable for using line out to an amplifier or from another device with a 3.5mm jack, a short USB-A to Lightning cable for use with your iOS handset, two silicone bands for strapping your DAP to the HA2-SE, a Micro USB charge and sync cable, and 5v/5 amp quick charging power adaptor. Everything you need to connect HA-2SE to your computer/DAP and get it up and running is all there.

The Chord comes with a 2 inch Micro USB cable....and that's all you get for your king's ransom of 600 dollars. But more on the skimpy accessories later.

Form Factor

Both the HA-2SE and Mojo are devices one can be proud to own. Both the HA-2SE and the Mojo are made from Anodized aluminum and both exude quality. The OPPO is the same length of an iPhone 6/6s/7 4.7 inch model, and is a couple ounces heavier, with a solid but not overly heavy feel. It feels well balanced in the hand, and is about a third of an inch thick. The HA-2SE also comes wrapped in a genuine pebble-grain leather cover with white stitching, so it has extra tactility to keep in your grasp, and does not need a case. The Mojo takes up about the same footprint as a deck of 52 cards, or a pack of cigarettes. It only comes in an anodized black finish, and has three acrylic marbles that light up different colors and function as volume controls and a power button. They rattle slightly if you shake the Mojo, but other than that it is an incredibly solid little device that feels considerably heavier than its footprint would suggest (0.4 pounds or 0.18 Kg). It also is rather slippery compared to the leather-wrapped HA2-SE.

The controls are different. The Mojo has 2 buttons to control the digital volume adjustment, no gain or boost settings, and no manual input selector (inputs are handled automatically with USB prioritized). The HA2-SE has more hardware features available, and more little trinkets and buttons. The volume/power knob is analog, and has a satisfyingly oily feel while it is being turned, in addition to a knurled finish to grip onto. The battery status indicator button illuminates a total of 4 lights when you press it, much like a MacBook. The input elector is aluminum finished, and the bass boost and gain switches are metal switches like the mute switch on iPhones. The HA-2SE has more nice little finishes than the Mojo, which has a very simplified but elegant control layout.

The HA-2SE is made in the People's Republic of China, while the Mojo is made in England, UK.

Input Options

The HA-2SE and Mojo have a few different inputs, and this reflects the target audience, what each company expects the respective users of the devices to prioritize, and which sort of gear they expect their devices to be plugged into.

The HA2-SE has three input options: a 3.5mm line-in jack, a Micro USB for use with a computer or an Android phone or DAP, and a USB A port for connecting to an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad. OPPO clearly intended for the HA2-SE to be used by the average consumer who would likely plug their MP3 player, cell phone or laptop into the HA-2SE, and the amplifier comes appropriately accessorized.

The Mojo on the other hand comes with three different connectors: a Micro USB, much like the HA-2SE; a 3.5mm coaxial input; and an optical SPDIF/TOSLINK input. These input options suggest that Chord intends for the Mojo to be run primarily off of higher end equipment and DAPs, which means that the Mojo was intended to be purchased by more seasoned audiophiles, or users with more disposable income to buy more niche dedicated DAPs like Astell and Kern AK100s, AK120s, AK240s that have more exotic digital output peripheries. There is no line-in analog input, only 3 digital inputs. Different devices for different market demographics, it would seem.

Connecting to an iPhone with the Mojo and the HA-2SE is also a different story. The HA-2SE uses a USB A port, which allows you to connect any sort of MFI-certified USB-to-Lightning cable you want into the HA-2SE. The lightning cable that comes with the HA-2SE picks up fizzing and radio antenna interference from the iPhone when the phone is receiving a radio signal, but other lightning cables I plugged into the device did not have this interference problem. The HA-2SE also fits nicely to the iPhone to create a fairly streamlined package.

The Mojo, on the other hand, does not have a USB A port, which means that in order to connect it to your iPhone, you must use a male-to-female USB to Lightning adaptor. Apple sells the USB Camera Adaptor for 30 dollars, so if you want to use the Mojo with an iPhone, then you need to add another 30 dollars on top of the purchase price. And when you connect the Mojo to your iPhone, you get this:

The Chord Mojo CAN be accessorized with a USB module, which you can plug the
iPhone Camera adaptor into, but the Mojo accessories pack is an extra 100 dollars on top of the 30 for the adaptor. The Mojo when connected to the iPhone also picks up radio antenna interference when it is close proximity to the phone, so you need to either have airplane mode on, or simply use a longer Micro USB cable. FiiO does sell their own micro USB to Lightning cable for 30 dollars, and I have heard that it works on the Mojo, but I cannot confirm this myself. Either way, there are a few connectivity options for hooking your Mojo up to an iPhone, so be creative.

For iPhone users, the Chord Mojo is less intuitive to connect to an iOS device in comparison to the HA-2SE. And in addition, since the HA-2SE uses a USB A port, you can use approximately 2000 mAh of its 3000 mAh battery to charge an iPhone. It is not a life-changing feature, as the HA-2SE charges the iPhone slowly and will stop charging the iPhone after the battery of the HA-2SE drops to 25 percent, but it still is a nice little additional feature to have in case your iPhone is going dead.

Batteries

The HA-2SE has a 3,000 mAh battery, and with the Quickcharge cable and power brick included, will charge from empty to full in 1.5 hours. The battery is rated at 7 hours when using the amp and DAC and plugged into a moderate load headphone, and about 13 hours when just using the line-in and bypassing the DAC stage. I found this rating to be accurate, with the HA-2SE delivering close to the advertised figures. The fast charging ability is another big plus with the HA-2SE.

The Mojo, on the other hand, takes approximately 4 hours to charge when plugged into a 1 amp power connection. Chord does not specify the size of the battery, but if the Mojo limits the power input to 1 amp maximum and does not slow the charging speed when the Mojo reaches a higher charging level, I may be able to say that the battery is probably around 4,000 mAh. Using the DAC stage is mandatory, so with a modest IEM or headphone load the Mojo is rated at 10 hours of battery life, more than the HA-2SE. I have also found the battery life to be consistent with what Chord states. Note that the Mojo has a separate Micro USB input for charging from syncing, in order to cut down on USB bus power noise.

Power Outputs

The Mojo has more power than the HA-2SE, with the HA-2SE having a maximum output of 300 mW at 16 ohms and 30 mW at 300 ohms, and the Mojo at 720 mW at 8 ohms and 35 mW at 600 ohms. I found that the Mojo was able to push my headphones cleaner and louder, but for users with somewhat efficient headphones like the Sony MDR-Z7 and Oppo PM3 should have plenty of power for your needs.

DAC Performance

Both the Mojo and HA-2SE can handle a maximum of 32 bits and support DSD files, with the Mojo having a maximum upsampling rate of 768 kHz, while the HA-2SE with a maximum of 384 kHz.

UPDATE: Due to a discrepancy pointed out by another user, the the Mojo does NOT have a true line-out setting. That setting is just a 3v fixed volume out. The HA-2SE is the ONLY device of these two that can function as a line-out DAC.

And finally, the Sound Quality

For this test, I used my Audioquest Nighthawk and AKG K712 Pro.

Both devices perform exceptionally well, with each one a dynamic and engaging sound signature. I would say that the Mojo has a highly refined, neutral-to-slightly-dark, powerful sound with a very agreeable frequency range from top to bottom with tons of detail. The HA-2SE on the other hand has a more forward, more treble-sparkly sound signature. The HA-2SE, in comparison to the Mojo, has a noticeably brighter sound that makes it sound larger in the soundstage compared side by side, whereas the Mojo is comparatively darker. This treble energy on the HA-2SE is likely due to the slightly mid-to-treble-forward sound signature of its Sabre ESS DAC chip. There is some "Sabre Glare" present, but it only presents itself when paired to more forward headphones. Here is my comparison with both devices paired with different headphones.

Audioquest Nighthawk:

Both the Mojo and the HA-2SE paired equally well with the Nighthawk, bringing in the midrange and tightening up the bass, which tends to dominate the Nighthawk, and often has that "ambient" or "always on" sound signature that adds to the liquid feel of the headphone, but can make the vocals feel somewhat distant or overwhelming when the Nighthawk is not given enough power. I would have to give the slight nudge here to the HA-2SE, as it gives the Nighthawk midrange more presence, and it adds to a more engaging experience. The Mojo is no slouch though, and I would gladly take it paired with the Nighthawk.

AKG K712 Pro:

Now here is where the "Sabre Glare" problem with the HA-2SE begins to show its ugly side, especially when hooked up to a mid-forward headphone. Allow me to explain. AKGs are known for having a 1-2 kHz energy peak in what is called the presence region. This is where contralto singers (e.g. Adele, Rebecca Ferguson, and Alicia Keys) dominate in the frequency spectrum. This for some people provides a more raw and authentic and engaging sound experience, but for many other people this shoutiness is what gives AKGs an unfavorable reputation as being grating headphones to listen to horns, saxophones and women singers. And while the K712 has less of this peak than its Q701 and K701 siblings, it still exhibits this trait to a certain extent. And the HA-2SE's glare, in combination with the K712's glare at this same frequency, ends up being a harsh and stressed sound that got on my nerves after a while. The Mojo with its somewhat darker sound, thicker bass sound and additional power to drive the K712, was a far better pairing with the K712, and did not exhibit those harsh treble spikes like the HA-2SE did.

Overall, I found the Mojo's somewhat darker and smoother sound signature to work better with a wider variety of headphones, from dark and bass-heavy to lean and bright. The HA-2SE is most in its element when driving fairly efficient, dark headphones that could use some extra treble energy to bring forward more dynamics. I prefer a darker sound signature with my equipment since I find it behaves better with more headphones, but if you prefer a brighter and more forward sound signature, then the HA-2SE is the one for you. The bass boost was a nice feature to have on the HA-2SE that I wish the Mojo had, and it was a great way to add some more bass to headphones that may not have enough bass thump, such as the Beyerdynamic DT880 or the AKG K612 or K712.

Conclusion: Which One Should You Get?

Choosing between the HA2-SE and the Mojo is rather simple. If you want the best value device for your money, and you are primarily an average consumer who uses their Android or iOS smartphone for a source device, then the HA-2SE is hands down the one for you. It comes with all the accessory attachments you could want, and the ability to charge the iPhone is a huge plus. In addition, the quick charging capability is a big bonus, especially if you use Samsung or OPPO phones that support this feature and you want to get your portable amp/DAC up and running for use on the go. The line-in jack is also a big plus if you want to stretch out the battery life on the HA-2SE.

If you have a large fleet of headphones and sensitive IEMs that vary widely in sound signatures from dark to bright, you have a need for a more powerful device, and you use more boutique DAPs such as Astell and Kern devices that use coaxial or SPDIF outputs, or you use higher end receivers and CD players, then the Mojo is the device you should consider. You are paying twice the price to get probably the most high-end DAC in a pocketable DAC/amp unit.

For 90 percent of you out there on Head-Fi, go with the HA-2SE. You will not be disappointed. And for those of you to whom those more niche factors are relevant, give the Mojo a try at your local Hifi store or headphone meet up. Chances are you will be pleasantly surprised by how much performance you can get in such a little device, and how well it goes with picky headphones. Stay tuned for my Chord Mojo Review, and thanks for your time.

Nicely written. I know I'm reading way later than your posting, but have you compared the HA-2 to the Fiio Alpen 2? Any thoughts??

Jun 2, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #81 of 105

I used to have both mojo and xd05 but ended up selling the xd05 for several reasons. tbh I love both of 'em but I just can't justify myself for having both at the same time.

Jun 2, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #82 of 105
I used to have both mojo and xd05 but ended up selling the xd05 for several reasons. tbh I love both of 'em but I just can't justify myself for having both at the same time.

I got my XD-5 before the "hype" on head-fi and massdrop started, so I paid >100€ for it. Might end up selling one of both in the end again, but for now I'm okay with my choices^^ Don't think one could get a lot out of selling a XD-5 atm. anyhow, so keeping it might be the better option^^

Jun 13, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #83 of 105
I currently have an RWAK120 running balanced out to an RSA SR-71B and iSine 20s and LCD 2.2s. I have an option on a well priced used Mojo, but can't demo it and wondered if anyone could advise on whether or not the sound of my RWAK120 could be improved with the Mojo. The dual DACs in the RWAK120 are already excellent and the sound with the RSA SR-71B amp is excellent. I know I'd lose the balanced connection if I bought the Mojo, but what about the SQ?

Thanks!

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #84 of 105
I own Mojo, Oppo HA-2 SE, Creative Soundblaster E5 and Denon DA-10.
In terms of both power and quality of sound the Mojo outclasses them all. The Oppo in my experience is quite underpowered for any headphone with impedance of 150 Ohm or more (leaving sensitivity alone for now): it powers fine my Sennhieser HD598, not so the HD700 and definitely struggles with the HD600 and 650 and Beyerdynamic DT990. It is a pity because I like its bass boost feature a lot and also the ability to be used as charger. I also prefer the rotary volume vs the 2-button solution of the Mojo.
The Creative E5 is the only one that can keep up (somewhat) with the power of the Mojo and offers the unique Bluetooth (Apt-X too) feature which makes it a keeper. Its sound is not as refined; the Denon comes closer but it has its own issues: more often than not (and I still do not understand what I am doing wrong) the rotary volume is disabled and the volume can only be controlled with my Android devices (I use USB Audio Pro). At times the rotary controls work. Power in the same range of the Oppo but I prefer the sound of the Denon, slightly more "analogue".

Long story short: careful before you get the Oppo HA-2 or HA-2SE. Depending on your headphone its power may be inadequate. The E5 costs actually less, offers Bluetooth also and even microphone input: it may be a better alternative if the Mojo is just out of your budget.

Feb 12, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #85 of 105
I currently have an Audeze Deckard as my home headphone amp. I'd like to try a different Dac. Can I get a clear-cut answer as to if I can use the Mojo for the Dac section and the amp section from my Deckard? Kind of get conflicting reports on line-out ability of the Mojo, and wanted some clarification.

Feb 13, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #87 of 105
What are people's thoughts on the ak70 and mojo combination?

I ran both for a while, wrapped up nicely in a Dignis Avec case.

I liked the combo and the Mojo sound. I found the AK70 a bit fiddly because of size and quirks of the operating system - the battery would sometimes drain if not powered off and the UI took some effort on my part to get used to.

I've since replaced the combo with an A&K SP1000Cu - whilst it's 3x the price of the AK70/Mojo/Dignis Combo the convenience of being stackless, the sound quality increase and the better SP1000 User Experience, it's been a great upgrade.

So, my AK70/Mojo combo was much loved but not missed compared to my new setup

Feb 13, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #88 of 105
I ran both for a while, wrapped up nicely in a Dignis Avec case.

I liked the combo and the Mojo sound. I found the AK70 a bit fiddly because of size and quirks of the operating system - the battery would sometimes drain if not powered off and the UI took some effort on my part to get used to.

I've since replaced the combo with an A&K SP1000Cu - whilst it's 3x the price of the AK70/Mojo/Dignis Combo the convenience of being stackless, the sound quality increase and the better SP1000 User Experience, it's been a great upgrade.

So, my AK70/Mojo combo was much loved but not missed compared to my new setup

Thank you for the great review of both so I guess the biggest upgrade is around convenience of one device

Feb 13, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #89 of 105
Thank you for the great review of both so I guess the biggest upgrade is around convenience of one device

I guess so. And I place more value that I thought I would on not having to stack. That said, before going to the SP1000, I tested my AK70 with a Hugo2 and whilst it was better that the Mojo, I found the sound quality of the SP1000 to be better than the Hugo2 and the Mojo. So, to my ears, quite a big sound upgrade.

All that said, to my ears, I can't think of a better combo for the price than AK70/Mojo. And there's something very old-school audiophile about the combo in the Dignis Case. It's portable, but chunky in a good way. And you could probably use it to defend yourself if things ever got lively at Flinders Street Station...

Feb 13, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #90 of 105
I guess so. And I place more value that I thought I would on not having to stack. That said, before going to the SP1000, I tested my AK70 with a Hugo2 and whilst it was better that the Mojo, I found the sound quality of the SP1000 to be better than the Hugo2 and the Mojo. So, to my ears, quite a big sound upgrade.

All that said, to my ears, I can't think of a better combo for the price than AK70/Mojo. And there's something very old-school audiophile about the combo in the Dignis Case. It's portable, but chunky in a good way. And you could probably use it to defend yourself if things ever got lively at Flinders Street Station...

Haha that's gold and very true

Users who are viewing this thread

Back