Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 23, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #6,241 of 22,475
Hey there,

I am not saying that classical music is all boring...even I like some Clint Mansell every once in a while. And it is likely the genre with the best recordings from a strictly technical perspective.

But sometimes it seems that the classical fraction fails to see the possibility that different styles of music may be much more emotionally involving for other folks and sometimes this seems condescending, even though I think it isn't meant to be.

The other night I listened to the whole album 'London Calling' and the record sounded better than I ever could have imagined. I had a small tumbler of Balvenie Double Wood and after the first few tracks I was floating in Music, without thinking about possible shortcomings of the recording.

And isn't that what it's all about, after all?

Cheers
Absolutely agree with your "without thinking about possible shortcomings of the recording."
I listen to many of my LPs that way, just getting caried away by the music. It can be as intoxicating as the BDW you mention, and without any risk of hangover.

Jul 23, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #6,243 of 22,475
Unfortunately that is a common problem with many modern far too close-mic'd recordings. Colin Davis is heard moaning and humming along on quite a few of his recordings. And Manfred Honeck makes far too much audible breaths contribution to the Tchaikovsky 6th I posted here recently to mention only two offenders of unwanted vocal contributions and stupid close-mic'ing.
Thanks @Christer I was interested to understand whether this was acceptable as part of a recording. I know that it is considered part of a jazz recording, but I am a newcomer regarding classical recordings.

Jul 23, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #6,244 of 22,475
Thanks @Christer I was interested to understand whether this was acceptable as part of a recording. I know that it is considered part of a jazz recording, but I am a newcomer regarding classical recordings.
perhaps you could start a music appreciation thread in music forums?

Jul 23, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #6,245 of 22,475
Have you tried the z1r thread as well?

Jul 23, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #6,246 of 22,475
Absolutely agree with your "without thinking about possible shortcomings of the recording."
I listen to many of my LPs that way, just getting caried away by the music. It can be as intoxicating as the BDW you mention, and without any risk of hangover.
I think I know what you mean.
Several of my friends are amateur musicians, and I have experienced many enjoyable evenings at their appartements, listening to their favourite music via Youtube, assisted by a glass or two of single malt or rum.
These all create musical memories, that can lead to new directions in the future.

Jul 23, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #6,248 of 22,475
how do you rate imac 27 512gb ssd into hugo 2 direct running either roon core or exclusive mode tidal? does antipodes really make a night/day difference after all it's a computer too under that hood?

also does roon allow for exclusive mode and are new tidal albums still missing?

apologies for the barrage of questions as i'm on a steep learning curve. Thanks mk.

I have no doubt that a discerning listener like you would hear large gains from an optimized setup including antipodes. In any event, there is no harm in giving it a try.

Jul 23, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #6,249 of 22,475
Hi all!

I am thinking of buying Hugo 2. I have previously owned Mojo and Hugo 1, in that order. I felt Hugo was a significant leap in terms of sound quality over Mojo.

I would like to hear some impressions on Hugo 2's tonality. I did not like Mojo's mid-centric sound very much in the end. Sometimes it helped to blow extra life into some recordings and other times it just sounded irritating.

Now, Hugo IMHO had better tonal balance with more realistic midrange, but maybe a somewhat bloated or too warm lower section of the frequency range. Treble could also sound a bit imprecise and unclean from time to time.

If somebody has owned or still owns all three of them ( Mojo, Hugo1 and Hugo2), I would be very intrested in hearing comments about Hugo 2's tonal balance.

Thanks in advance!

Jul 23, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #6,252 of 22,475
Now, Hugo IMHO had better tonal balance with more realistic midrange, but maybe a somewhat bloated or too warm lower section of the frequency range. Treble could also sound a bit imprecise and unclean from time to time.

Thanks in advance!

If that's what troubles you with the Hugo, then I think the Hugo2 will make you very happy. You mentioned the two things it does a lot better.

Jul 23, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #6,253 of 22,475
Hey guys, new to audio and the Hugo 2 would be my first ever DAC purchase. It's a lot of money, but I won't be changing my DAC for at least 2-3 years and this DAC is truly future proof. I would've bought this by now if I had a mac, but my source of music is my iPhone. I use the offline "import" option on the Qobuz app to listen to music. I currently have the subscription that maxes out at 16 bit, but I'll upgrade to 24 bit sublime+ soon... I want to know whether I can feed 24 bit music playing on the Qobuz app to the DAC or can 24 bit music ONLY be sent to the DAC using an app like "Onkyo Player" like the "USB Audio Player Pro" app for android? I really really want this DAC, but at the same time, don't want to waste my money if the above setup won't work...
On my iPhone, I used to use Onkyo player that played both hi-res and 16/44.1 files fine through camera kit to Hugo 2. But now I switched to NePlayer due to some UI components I don't like on Onkyo. NePlayer also works with hi-res FLAC files (lots of my music collection include 24/96, 24/192, and DSD 128) as well as iTunes library (16/44.1 AAC).

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #6,255 of 22,475
Have fun! If you match the Hugo2 + bass heavier AMP combo with the Campfire Vega IEMs you could potentially jellify your brain with bass! I wouldn't want more bass than what the Hugo2 gives them. We are going on different journeys to reach destination ample pie!

It is absolutely gorgeous!

Yeh I can fully appreciate that. But as a guy who loves gaming, movies and music I kinda need that little smashing of bass the mcintosh offers on top of my h2. No doubt the h2 is amazing buy itself, and honestly I could of bought a 650$ used cavalli lc, but you know what? For me anyway we all go through this journey spending 1000.00's on amps, dac, headphones, speakers, trying different stuff only knowing deep down we all want end game at some point and be done with it.

The way I figure it from a financial/mathematical stand point, the money I would of spent getting to end game, trying different stuff will cost me more in the long run than just going end game straight away and save all that cash in between.

That and I like to stick to products that hold a decent resell value and the market is looking for, so hugo 2 + mcintosh was a no brainer, for me anyway. Others miles and opinions may vary.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back