Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 23, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #6,196 of 22,511
how do you rate imac 27 512gb ssd into hugo 2 direct running either roon core or exclusive mode tidal? does antipodes really make a night/day difference after all it's a computer too under that hood?

also does roon allow for exclusive mode and are new tidal albums still missing?

apologies for the barrage of questions as i'm on a steep learning curve. Thanks mk.

Jul 23, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #6,197 of 22,511
Again ill get ch2 on monday.
I don't use tidal. Although the antipode runs tidal roon core but don't use it, i was told that tidal was quite special on the server.
Yes each step from iTunes to roon on the mac to getting your files off the mac improves the sound quality. The antipode was the most significant improvement for me since getting TT. However i have started an antipodes audio blog if you want some links, info, details of my experience...

Jul 23, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #6,199 of 22,511
doesn't macintosh have a dac? can roon be run in exclusive mode whereby the digital file from tidal in roon bypasses all prior processing straight to h2? please link to your blog sounds interesting too.

yuja wang classical pianist sounds incredible with tidal hifi to H2. (Album:Fantasia)

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #6,200 of 22,511
I'm finding the Hugo 2's "thinner" presentation (maybe not a good choice of wording, I know) pairs very nicely with even slightly bass-strong IEMs, like the HE2000 and Vega.

I also tried the HD800 again, which paired nicely with the Dave, and found quite satisfying bass. I guess it really is the high-impedance headphones that work well with the Chord models.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #6,201 of 22,511
I have heard that ch2 may have less bass impact than ch1 through hd800S, anyone else find such is the case? Course I'll find out Monday...

Jul 23, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #6,202 of 22,511
[QUOTE=In terms of longevity, Li batteries do not care if you run to 80% and then charge; you will get the same life if you discharge to 0%; so a 20% discharge will allow 5 times more charge/discharge cycles. In desktop mode, the battery is no longer being charged or discharged, so effectively battery life is not dependent upon charging and discharging.

Rob

Thank you for the color coding clarification and undocumented details about charging. Sorry to be so detail demanding. The simplicity of the design is elegant and the manual perfect but those RGB colors change a bit depending on viewing angle so it takes a short period of user familiarity.

One last clarification. It wasn't clear to me if for battery life (total number of playback hours for life of installed batteries), did you mean to say that allowing the Li batteries to fully discharge and recharge to full
capacity will give the same total number of playing hours for the life of the DAC using the factory installed batteries as would a 20% discharge and many more recharge cycles for the life of the batteries? My math is poor.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #6,204 of 22,511
doesn't macintosh have a dac? can roon be run in exclusive mode whereby the digital file from tidal in roon bypasses all prior processing straight to h2? please link to your blog sounds interesting too.

yuja wang classical pianist sounds incredible with tidal hifi to H2. (Album:Fantasia)

Yeh McIntosh MHA100 does have a dac, but its the amp itself that I'm specifically after + the pre amp . After reading reviews on it I just couldn't pass it up, especially at the price I got it for.

And the amp/sound of mcintosh is something that the H2 doesn't have but I think it will pair well given the h2 very honest tonality and the warmer dynamics and punchy bass the amp on the mcintosh provides.

Match made in heaven, I will post back here after my experiments :)

Jul 23, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #6,207 of 22,511
I'm finding the Hugo 2's "thinner" presentation pairs very nicely with even slightly bass-strong IEMs, like the HE2000 and Vega.

I also tried the HD800s again, which paired nicely with the Dave, and found quite satisfying bass. I guess it really is the high-impedance headphones that work well with the Chord models.

Interesting observations. In the case of IEMs I personally strongly suspect and equally strongly hope that HUGO 2 is much more accurate in the bass, than any intentional BASS BOOM IEMS.

Regarding the HD800S it too has a well known bass bump and some increased distortion to make it easier to listen to for those who can't handle the closer to the truth as far the bass is concerned, original HD800.What really surprises me is that Sennheiser still haven't taken up the fight with HIFIMAN or LCD and others and delivered an affordable yet very clear improvement over both the HD800 and HD800S?
The HD 800S is better in some respects but less accurate in the bass than the HD 800 imo.The differences between the two are not that big in real SQ terms
What are they waiting for?
PS How is your HUGO 2 review going? Have you got any really demanding acoustic hi res stuff to use this time?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #6,208 of 22,511
Have fun! If you match the Hugo2 + bass heavier AMP combo with the Campfire Vega IEMs you could potentially jellify your brain with bass! I wouldn't want more bass than what the Hugo2 gives them. We are going on different journeys to reach destination ample pie!

It is absolutely gorgeous!

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #6,209 of 22,511
"high information music content" is a must!! dare those who wonder from the given path.:cartwheel::lifter::lifter:

listening to Toni Braxton "Spanish Guitar" via tidal hifi with H2 on a glorious sunny sunday afternoon.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #6,210 of 22,511
This thread is alive with interesting discussion and tips to seek out certain music for H2.

Re: Bass and IEM I am finding a more natural bass sound with AKT8 ie - an improvement over Mojo. I did not have complaints about bass and Mojo, but now see greater definition with H2.
Most of my listening is with Beyerdynamic T1.2, however, but on a recent road trip to NYC, I had some quality night time listening with the AKT8ie (made by Beyer).

Can I agree with the A/B posting comments with qualification?

I A/B compare, but I also recognize that brain processing of increased data takes time. Perhaps someone can better quantify and mesh the two together.

I stick to a small swatch of music with specific songs that I am well familiar with for each genre. I am picking up new ideas on the thread here.

Interesting traveling with H2. Where we were in NYC, I had the choice of using hotel safe or carrying it with me through a 98 degree F ball game and a 92 degree F 4 hour walk through the Bronx Zoo.

I felt more comfortable keeping it with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back