Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 26, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #811 of 4,904
I am really liking BluDave the more that I play it. I don't know whether it is breaking in and sounding better, or just the fact that almost everything I throw at it comes back sounding so good. Well recorded classical stuff sounds fabulous and 'live', but then slide guitar sounds so fluid and smooth and the sound just hangs and floats in the air, just like the real thing. Old blues stuff sounds knarly and authentic and 'in the room'.

I accidentally played some AC/DC earlier and, whilst I've never been a big fan, it sounded really good. I need to check out some more of their stuff because I've never heard them sound like this, it seemed like I was in a rehearsal room with them. I am finding the clarity and focus of the presentation combined with the analogue like smoothness is making me re-evaluate some of my music collection. Certain albums that have never grabbed me now seem to have been brought to life. I am really enjoying the experience and feel a bit like an excited teenager again!

It doesn't seem to matter what you throw at it, BluDave projects a vivid 3-D soundscape. It is big and bold at times then small and intimate at others. It is just the closest thing to actually being there that I have ever heard. I hope that they start shipping more units very soon so that others can get to hear this. I can't see anyone being disappointed.

Caveat: my wife is still undecided and, between Dave and BluDave, she seems to prefer whichever one she is listening to at the time. :smile: Mind you, she hasn't spent that much time with BluDave yet.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #812 of 4,904
i have 5000 plus CD's...ripping them all is too much for me....I do use Tidal as well....

Jun 26, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #813 of 4,904
For all you guys living outside the UK I would have thought the recent currency fluctuations must have brought the Blu2 down to the price of a stand alone MScaler anyway. Don't get caught out waiting for a stand alone MScaler and then by the time it comes out the value of the UK pound might have recovered and you will end up paying the same or maybe more for a stand alone MScaler!
When it happens, don't say that your Uncle Triode User didn't warn you. :grinning:

I'm begging them to take my money. But it seems they have a hard time meeting the demands. My dealer told me that not a single Blu2 has been delivered in my region.

Jun 26, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #814 of 4,904
I am really liking BluDave the more that I play it. I don't know whether it is breaking in and sounding better, or just the fact that almost everything I throw at it comes back sounding so good. Well recorded classical stuff sounds fabulous and 'live', but then slide guitar sounds so fluid and smooth and the sound just hangs and floats in the air, just like the real thing. Old blues stuff sounds knarly and authentic and 'in the room'.

I accidentally played some AC/DC earlier and, whilst I've never been a big fan, it sounded really good. I need to check out some more of their stuff because I've never heard them sound like this, it seemed like I was in a rehearsal room with them. I am finding the clarity and focus of the presentation combined with the analogue like smoothness is making me re-evaluate some of my music collection. Certain albums that have never grabbed me now seem to have been brought to life. I am really enjoying the experience and feel a bit like an excited teenager again!

It doesn't seem to matter what you throw at it, BluDave projects a vivid 3-D soundscape. It is big and bold at times then small and intimate at others. It is just the closest thing to actually being there that I have ever heard. I hope that they start shipping more units very soon so that others can get to hear this. I can't see anyone being disappointed.

Caveat: my wife is still undecided and, between Dave and BluDave, she seems to prefer whichever one she is listening to at the time. :smile: Mind you, she hasn't spent that much time with BluDave yet.
Ur wife's action is a consolation to the DAVE owners who can't afford the combo. At least the urge of buying Blu2 may be suppressed now☺

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #815 of 4,904
It's not clear to me what could be holding back production ramp on the Blu2. Hard to believe that any of the components could be that supply constrained, but there is obviously a huge bottleneck someplace. There's enough margin there that skids should be nicely greased

Mines pushed back to at least August, so lots of time to wonder why the ramp is so constrained

Jun 27, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #816 of 4,904
Chord were telling me that the Xilinx part had gone from 4 weeks to 12 weeks. More stock is coming, but getting parts is a major headache at the moment. Electronics is cyclical, and capacity can't be turned on and off quickly.

Jun 27, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #817 of 4,904
Edit - question already answered

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #819 of 4,904
I guess Xilinx are busy enjoying British summer. Too much beer.

I thought Xilinx was a American company. Too much beer is still likely the reason :beerchug:

Jun 27, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #820 of 4,904
I'm begging them to take my money. But it seems they have a hard time meeting the demands. My dealer told me that not a single Blu2 has been delivered in my region.

That's very frustrating.

However, looking at your profile picture it looks suspiciously like cable lifters that I can see so you could fiddle with the spacing of them whilst you wait. I think there might be a formula for working out the optimum spacing based on the speed of light and the earth's magnetic flux in your particular location. :wink:

Jun 27, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #821 of 4,904
I don't believe I can consistently hear a difference between CD playback vs USB in my system. If there is, I prefer USB playback in my system. That said, I have not done a lot of comparisons.

Do you (or any other Blu2 USB user) have any USB cleaners/tweaks between your Source and Blu2? E.g. NAA devices like microRendu, or USB regenerators like ISO Regen, etc.
And if so, has Blu2 changed the impact these devices have made to your system?

Jun 27, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #822 of 4,904
I have to say I am sceptical that a hard disc rip of a CD could sound better coming back through the Blu II via a USB link than the same CD played direct from Blu II. If anything I would expect the exact opposite

Jun 27, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #823 of 4,904
That's very frustrating.

However, looking at your profile picture it looks suspiciously like cable lifters that I can see so you could fiddle with the spacing of them whilst you wait. I think there might be a formula for working out the optimum spacing based on the speed of light and the earth's magnetic flux in your particular location. :wink:

Haha. Well cable lifters are useful for arranging the layout of cables to reduce interference.

Jun 27, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #824 of 4,904
I have to say I am sceptical that a hard disc rip of a CD could sound better coming back through the Blu II via a USB link than the same CD played direct from Blu II. If anything I would expect the exact opposite

Yes, I'd say that CD replay has the edge over files, but the difference is subtle. I have my files stored on a Melco NAS and play back via mRendu using Roon as the control interface. These things can depend upon a number of variables though - I always preferred files to CD in my system until I got a high quality CD transport (MBL 1521A) at which point, CD sounded slightly better. I traded my MBL transport for the Blu II but that slight edge in favour of CD persists.

You only appreciate the difference by direct A/B comparison. The difference isn't big enough to force a change in my listening habits and CD is still probably only 5% of my listening time.

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #825 of 4,904
Do you (or any other Blu2 USB user) have any USB cleaners/tweaks between your Source and Blu2? E.g. NAA devices like microRendu, or USB regenerators like ISO Regen, etc.
And if so, has Blu2 changed the impact these devices have made to your system?

Yes, I have mRendu which is connected via Ethernet to the switch in the Melco NAS and the whole system is powered by a balanced power supply. I have a W4S RUR which I used initially when I had an Auralic Aries direct into Dave and it did make an improvement but, when I got the mRendu, I felt the W4S was just unnecessary and didn't add anything positive. I haven't even tried it with the BluDave combo since it didn't benefit the Dave - maybe I should, but it sounds so good right now and I hate messing around with kit and A/B'ing to see if it is worthwhile or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back