Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
May 18, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #1,111 of 1,746
I've read about all sorts of optimizations people have made to their systems with the 2Qute...but I'm not sure which ones would be suitable for me. Some are a little pricey. And others may not make enough of an improvement. (For example, I'm using a Schiit Wyrd USB power isolator, but the differences are so subtle I don't even care enough to compare extensively.)

I'd rather save the money for now and put it toward the 2Qute successor. (Which may come out later this year, based on what I've read.)

I see you have the Elear. That's my favorite dynamic driver open-back out of the ones I've owned. :beerchug:

Yeah, I hear ya; sifting through the online drudgery of impressions from this or that is taking me some time, lol; I got a Belkin gold usb on the way, and probably just end up trying a middle-of-the-road wireworld IC, and see how that goes.

Yes! After being an IEM-only user for a looooooong time, I got to audition several really nice cans at a local meet up; while I liked a lot of them, there was one that quietly kept whispering sweet nothings to me--the Utopia. Those being out of my budget, I took a blind chance on the Elears based on a boatload of reading, and I'll have to say I couldn't be happier. Particularly with the right track, they have a serious wow factor to them, more so than any of the cans I tried at the meet up--including the Utopia. And so far that's only via SE with the stock cable--pretty excited to hear what they can do with an upgraded balanced cable! :beerchug:

May 19, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #1,112 of 1,746
I haven't heard the Gungnir Multibit, but I own both the Modi Multibit and 2Qute.

The 2Qute is by far the most technically impressive and realistic-sounding DAC I've owned, and yes, it's more musical too in some ways, but it's brighter and leaner than the Modi Multibit, which is more tubey and euphoric in comparison.

I'm actually trying to figure out the best solution to make the 2Qute less bright, because it can be slightly irritating at times.

Quality power supplies for all components, especially the 2Qute. Server can be tricky because of all the noise it can generate within the mobo, solution renderer. Isolation transformer can be a cheap upgrade that gives the biggest bang for the money.
Can't stress enough the need for quality power. If done right, can cost as much as the sum of your components. But then you will always have them, they don't go out of fashion or expense.
I'm in the process of adding a Paul Hynes SR7 multi rail 12V power supply to upgrade my supplies and get rid of the noisy, leaky HDPlex. LPS-1 and VR mini are other good choices.

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #1,113 of 1,746
Quality power supplies for all components, especially the 2Qute. Server can be tricky because of all the noise it can generate within the mobo, solution renderer. Isolation transformer can be a cheap upgrade that gives the biggest bang for the money.
Can't stress enough the need for quality power. If done right, can cost as much as the sum of your components. But then you will always have them, they don't go out of fashion or expense.
I'm in the process of adding a Paul Hynes SR7 multi rail 12V power supply to upgrade my supplies and get rid of the noisy, leaky HDPlex. LPS-1 and VR mini are other good choices.

Yeahhh...I probably won't even touch stuff like that until after I've upgraded to the DAVE & Blu MkII.

I knew of the Paul Hynes SR7 thanks to romaz. That's actually the LPS I had my eye on.

May 20, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #1,115 of 1,746
So how many o' you guys are planning on getting the 2Qute successor (with Hugo 2 tech) whenever it's released?

It all depends on what that exactly is. If Rob adds a preamp with volume control and everything else the same (2Qute) with Hugo 2 guts, 12V with increased amperage, I will be all over it. But if it doesn't have an updated stage amp, I'll probably wait it out.
These suggestions are not a deal breaker below.
Would also like to see a more friendly input output logistics. Having the RCA outs and USB input right next to each other is a nightmare for using an adapter on the USB input. Personally the Optical and the BMC can be dropped, only need the USB input.
Can have all those bells and whistle inputs outputs on the updated TT. Keep cost down on the 3Qute.

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #1,116 of 1,746
For me amp and preamp is a minus cause its add to the price. Most of the 2qute buyers need it for dac operation only cause they have High end amps for amping. If they add unnecessary things like amp and preamp they will loose lot of buyers for sure, cause it adds to the price. They should upgrade dac performance and thats it.

May 20, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #1,117 of 1,746
For me amp and preamp is a minus cause its add to the price. Most of the 2qute buyers need it for dac operation only cause they have High end amps for amping. If they add unnecessary things like amp and preamp they will loose lot of buyers for sure, cause it adds to the price. They should upgrade dac performance and thats it.

^^^One of the main reasons I was attracted to the 2Qute over say, the Hugo, etc.--I felt like I wasn't paying for anything I didn't need or want.

May 20, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #1,118 of 1,746
Problem was, for many, that they couldn't adjust the 3V line level output directly (I know there is a passive solution) with a choosen preamp. I think Chord would have sold far more 2Qutes if the line level was adjustable digitally within the DAC.
Personally I think the main thrust of the 2Qute was that it was a true desktop DAC and not Lipo battery operated.

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #1,120 of 1,746
Problem was, for many, that they couldn't adjust the 3V line level output directly (I know there is a passive solution) with a choosen preamp. I think Chord would have sold far more 2Qutes if the line level was adjustable digitally within the DAC.
Personally I think the main thrust of the 2Qute was that it was a true desktop DAC and not Lipo battery operated.

Still working my way through this thread since acquiring my 2qute, so perhaps I haven't stumbled across it yet, but what exactly is the issue with the LO being 3V? Thanks!

May 20, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #1,122 of 1,746
Still working my way through this thread since acquiring my 2qute, so perhaps I haven't stumbled across it yet, but what exactly is the issue with the LO being 3V? Thanks!
Go back 3 decades to the release of CD technology, and the standard input level for amplifiers was 2V.
Since then manufacturers have gradually introduced amps that can handle 5 or 6 V without any problems.
My amp can only handle 2.75V, so there was always a risk that a 2Qute could overload the amp input circuits and cause clipping. So if I bought a 2Qute, I would have been also looking to upgrade my amp as well.
I can feed my amp using my Mojo, because the Mojo has volume controls.

Overall some owners had amps that could not handle 3V, but others were fine.
So a 2Qute with volume controls would have offered excellent sound quality, plus been compatible with all amps.

May 20, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #1,123 of 1,746
Go back 3 decades to the release of CD technology, and the standard input level for amplifiers was 2V.
Since then manufacturers have gradually introduced amps that can handle 5 or 6 V without any problems.
My amp can only handle 2.75V, so there was always a risk that a 2Qute could overload the amp input circuits and cause clipping. So if I bought a 2Qute, I would have been also looking to upgrade my amp as well.
I can feed my amp using my Mojo, because the Mojo has volume controls.

Overall some owners had amps that could not handle 3V, but others were fine.
So a 2Qute with volume controls would have offered excellent sound quality, plus been compatible with all amps.

Makes perfect sense, and thank you kindly for the information and explanation--having just purchased my first headphone amp recently, I didn't even know this was a thing. Would it be correct to say this is largely an issue isolated to older amps only?

May 20, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #1,124 of 1,746

I'm with ya there. I'm fine with it being the same as the 2Qute except with sound equal to or better than the Hugo 2 but at a lower price.

At the moment I'm just using active speakers and a passive preamp. This will probably be the case for the foreseeable future, as even the rather expensive speakers I want (a pair of ADAM S2V nearfields and an ADAM Sub12 subwoofer, collectively $5,500) are still active. If/when I add passive speakers, I'll make sure to get an amp that is compatible with anything.

Makes perfect sense, and thank you kindly for the information and explanation--having just purchased my first headphone amp recently, I didn't even know this was a thing. Would it be correct to say this is largely an issue isolated to older amps only?

No, plenty of newer amps can also have issues with it. If in doubt, consult the manufacturer. FYI, Schiit Audio amps don't have a maximum input voltage spec and are fine with the 2Qute.

May 20, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #1,125 of 1,746
No, plenty of newer amps can also have issues with it. If in doubt, consult the manufacturer. FYI, Schiit Audio amps don't have a maximum input voltage spec and are fine with the 2Qute.

I perused their site, as well as the documentation that came with my Jotunheim, but didn't see any mention of input voltage restriction--thanks much for the info, sir! Also, so far can confirm it pairs very nicely with the 2Qute, both for my headphones, as well as a preamp for my KEF X300A's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back