Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jul 22, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #10,186 of 33,689
Jul 22, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #10,187 of 33,689
Actually you're still in Asia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AKG_Acoustics
  • 2016 – Harman decided to shut down all facility in Vienna in 2017.
  • 2016 – Harman bought by Samsung.
Yes but the akg n40 were designed and engineered at the time of Austrian ownership (and obviously some Germans) which is what counts here. Anything designed after this time will be a mystery. Hopefully samsung maintain their reputation.

P. S Samsung is in south Korea not china

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #10,188 of 33,689
Yes but the akg n40 were designed and engineered at the time of Austrian ownership (and obviously some Germans) which is what counts here. Anything designed after this time will be a mystery. Hopefully samsung maintain their reputation.

PS South Korea is still in Asia

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #10,189 of 33,689

Many South Korean products are also manufactured in China :L3000:

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #10,190 of 33,689
Most of their production bases are in China and South Asia.

tci-2015-samsung-electronics-manufacturing-complex-in-vietnam-9-638.jpg

Jul 22, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #10,191 of 33,689
I think you all missed the point, number one i did not mention Asia, i mentioned China specifically in terms of their 'own brands' not labour factories working on behalf of international brands . Number 2 just because apple is made in China does that mean china is behind the whole engineering and design of the product? No, they are merely labour vessels. When i mention china im surprised there is the assumption that china is apparently asia lool. And samsung will probably keep the R&D team the same in akg and just alter assembly lines. That's the way it usually works. So to clarify good bye China brand, hello Austria/German brand yay.

P. S i repeat if anyone knows how to open the casing of the Chinese brand musicmaker tk12 please help me!

Jul 22, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #10,192 of 33,689
I think you all missed the point, number one i did not mention Asia, i mentioned China specifically in terms of their 'own brands' not labour factories working on behalf of international brands . Number 2 just because apple is made in China does that mean china is behind the whole engineering and design of the product? No, they are merely labour vessels. When i mention china im surprised there is the assumption that china is apparently asia lool. And samsung will probably keep the R&D team the same in akg and just alter assembly lines. That's the way it usually works. So to clarify good bye China brand, hello Austria/German brand yay.

P. S i repeat if anyone knows how to open the casing of the Chinese brand musicmaker tk12 please help me!

asia-pacific-country-maps-powerpoint-slides-3-638.jpg

To open the casing you probably just need to blast it with hot air from a hair dryer for a while, careful to keep it from getting too hot and damaging the contents. Once heated, the glue that's probably holding it together should soften up and you can likely split the casing apart at the seams. At least, that seems to work with most iems that I've seen. Don't have the TK12 so I couldn't be 100% certain.

Jul 22, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #10,193 of 33,689
To open the casing you probably just need to blast it with hot air from a hair dryer for a while, careful to keep it from getting too hot and damaging the contents. Once heated, the glue that's probably holding it together should soften up and you can likely split the casing apart at the seams. At least, that seems to work with most iems that I've seen. Don't have the TK12 so I couldn't be 100% certain.

Thanks b9, sounds good, I will try this, fingers crossed.

Jul 22, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #10,194 of 33,689
I could be wrong as a newb, but I thought only the automotive division of Harmon was sold off. I can see this happening because automotive after market stereos took a real beating since the dot com burst era. Harmon does so many things in audio, it is quite impressive.

Jul 22, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #10,196 of 33,689
OP asked for something a "little bit similar to them, but better sound in some way".

The Piston 2 is v-shaped and warm, but I felt like it had boomy enhanced bass. The soundstage was good (from the large vent on the back). Clarity and imaging weren't bad either. The treble was bright and sparkly, and had a smoothness that was enjoyable to listen to.

The reason I mentioned the ones I did, is I think they bring to the table the basic essence of what the OP enjoys about the Piston 2, but with some enhanced property/properties.

Xiaomi Pro HD:
I think the Pro HD is great for the genres the OP listed due to its U-shape. Nice clear mids, deep punchy bass, and bright sparkly treble with lots of detail. The soundstage of the Piston 2 edges out the Pro HD though. The OP will feel right at home with the typical excellent Xiaomi build quality, fit, & finish. And if the OP wants even more sub-bass/bass, the front vent can be closed off with tape of glue. With that modification done, I think it outshines the Piston 2 from an overall perspective.

ZST: While the ZST doesn't have enhanced bass, but there's plenty of sub-bass and bass that should please the OP (although not as much as the Piston 2). The ZST has better clarity than the Piston 2, and the detail is every bit as good. Like the Pro HD, the soundstage isn't as good as the Piston 2. The ZST definitely has brighter treble compared to the Piston 2. Rock and Rap sound great on the ZST.

ZS5: Again, another U-shaped sound which I like with the genres the OP listed. The clarity, soundstage, and imaging of the ZS5 is superior to the Piston 2. While the treble is the brightest of the bunch, it pairs well with the overall sound and isn't peaky or piercing. The bass and sub-bass is plenty for Rock and Rap, and like the Pro HD if the OP wants a significant bump in bass the front vent can be closed off with tape or glue (that's what I did to mine). With that modification done, the ZS5 is like the Piston 2 on steroids.

While I didn't listen to the Piston 2 for years like you, I did spend about 3 weeks with them when I was deciding between them and the Xiaomi Pro HD. I definitely enjoyed them, and Xiaomi makes great IEMs. But ultimately I liked the Pro HD better.

I should also point out that I used silicone tips on all the above. No foams.

Obviously these are my opinions. You may agree, you may disagree. It's your prerogative.

Thank you for the detailed answer!

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #10,197 of 33,689
Hope they improve as just ordered them based on positive reviews and another user describing them as balanced with an emphasised low end.
The p8's have a little bit of a weird shape and it took a little bit of work to find the right fit and seal. I thought they sounded somewhat thin at first too,until I got the correct seal and then the real sound came out. I really think you'll be satisfied with them and will be anxious to read your impressions of them.

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #10,198 of 33,689
The p8's have a little bit of a weird shape and it took a little bit of work to find the right fit and seal. I thought they sounded somewhat thin at first too,until I got the correct seal and then the real sound came out. I really think you'll be satisfied with them and will be anxious to read your impressions of them.

Looking forward to getting them!

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #10,199 of 33,689
Hey guys, if I were to choose to buy a mid-$30 CIEM, which one would be the best out of this list?

1. KZ ZS5
  2. DZAT DF-10
  3. VJJB K4S
  4. MEMT X5
The DF-10 currently has my attention cause of its wooden design, but I don't know how the sound quality (and soundstage) would fare with the ZS5.

Jul 23, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #10,200 of 33,689
Hey guys, if I were to choose to buy a mid-$30 CIEM, which one would be the best out of this list?

1. KZ ZS5
  2. DZAT DF-10
  3. VJJB K4S
  4. MEMT X5
The DF-10 currently has my attention cause of its wooden design, but I don't know how the sound quality (and soundstage) would fare with the ZS5.

If it's wooden you're after, Nymphonomaniac raves about the Mygeek wooden:
Also, lots of people swear by the BossHifi B3 (also wood). There's also the newer BossHifi B3S that is supposed to be an improved B3. The B3 and/or B3S is on my to buy list myself.

I also have 3 and 4 on your list, and they're nothing special. A lot of people swear by the MEMT X5, and while they are detailed I find the sound entirely too midcentric. They supposedly have a new version of the MEMT X5 that has improved sound, but I haven't heard them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back