Cardas A8 IEM
Dec 29, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #361 of 429
Only had the A8s for a couple weeks, but I think I've settled on Spiral Dots as my preference, though they are a little U-shaped as mentioned 

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #362 of 429
The A8's arrived and first impressions are positive. Really impressive low end, mids, and imaging at first listen. Using the comply medium tips which feel big, so I may source small size tips. They are also very efficient.

What is the break in period?

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #364 of 429
Just listen to them
wink.gif

Doing that now, but I have some great desktop phones to choose from and not a ton of listening time generally - these were primarily intended for air travel. Hoping these open up on the top end as they break in.

I played them on a few portable systems today - an Ipod Classic driving a Ray Samuels SR71A (not needed), an Astell & Kern Ak120 I (played well and easy to drive), and an Iphone 7 Plus feeding an AQ Dragonfly Red (my favorite pairing). 

Bass is pretty extended - almost emphasized. Mids are nice, but I think I need to play with tips a bit to see what the sweet spot is. The Comply tips are great for isolating outside noise, at the seeming cost of extra bass impact and a slightly recessed top end.

Jan 9, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #367 of 429
Finally have a few hours on these and the bass is becoming less prominent than when new, and mids are developing well. Traveling with them now, and on planes with the comply tips, they do well blocking noise. So far, a good match with the AK120.

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #368 of 429
His anyone tried using the Cardas balanced cable with these iems and does it improve the sound?

I have it, the strain relief on the plug is too huge, rigid, straight & thick for my liking I posted a photo of it earlier in the thread.
If you're thinking about using it with a player in your pocket while doing anything other than standing upright and still I'd advise against it as the strain relief under pocket pressures caused the small jack to move around in socket causing interruptions on one channel or another all the time had I gone on using it I wouldn't have been surprised if the plug or socket ended up breaking.
The only dap I had with both bal and se was my dpx1 and while I would always advocate balanced over single ended in general I didn't notice a difference in sound between the 2.

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #369 of 429
His anyone tried using the Cardas balanced cable with these iems and does it improve the sound?

I use it with my Pono and have no issues whatsoever wirh the physical connection. I haven't taken the time to see if I gained anything sonically from this. Maybe I'll do some comparisons this weekend.

Jan 19, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #371 of 429
After all these while, I keep going back to my Cardas A8.
Fantastic in ear.

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #373 of 429
I know, right?!  
I actually was going to sell them.  I thought that I had the FLC8s, and I wouldn't use the A8's because I would just use the FLC.  I sold them, but as I boxed them up, I really had seller's remorse, and I cancelled the sale and kept them.  They have the best lows, with a good amount of exaggeration and clarity; making them super fun.  The Budget IEMs (that are actually really dang good) have the same kind of bass exaggeration, but the resolution on the A8 is noticeably better.  My wind up being my favorites!

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #374 of 429
Just got these (on sale at CanJam NY, they threw in a Pono balanced cable, which I just received, couldn't resist). So far using Comply large tips, but will play with them a bit. Haven't decided if I like these more than the previous Pono balanced iem, the Westone W40, which I've been using daily for quite a while now. I'll give it a bit of time.

Feb 10, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #375 of 429
Mine have settled in finally. Bass is now more balanced, if full, mids are delightful, treble is sweet in the classic Cardas cable house sound. Hearing all kinds of detail in recordings. I am really glad I bought these. Only gripe is the micro phonics of the cable jacket, as people have noted here you can hear when the cable brushes against your coat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back