Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Oct 13, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #1,456 of 1,506
I just got the P7, and I have 30 days money back or exchange for another item, and am now considering if I should go with the wireless P7s instead as the price difference is quite small. 

I will probably be using it with an iPhone 6, possibly using an eternal DAC/Amp. The music I listen to is from Tidal Hifi, so lossless CD quality. 

If anyone who's owns or has owned both versions of the P7 can tell me if the wireless is better or not (read somewhere that it was) that would be greatly appreciated. Other than that I don't really care much about the actual wireless function, I just want good sound. 

Oct 14, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #1,457 of 1,506
I have sent my beloved p7's back and last night we spent our last night together, I had a great night listening to some old favorites,

I have also ordered the wireless p7's (should be here next week) and will post the improvements, if any are to be had over the standard p7's, both wired, my source is a zx2, and they sound great together, I've owned the wired p7's for a little over 2.5 years.
And pretty sad to see them go.

Oct 16, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #1,459 of 1,506
These vs meze99 classics?
I own both. I prefer the Meze. Their overall signature is better for me. Both have ever so slightly loose bass, but the Meze is of better quality as it transitions into the luscious mids better than the p7. I thought I'd answer even if you happen to be trolling to help others. Again, my apologies if you're not.

Oct 16, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #1,460 of 1,506
I own both. I prefer the Meze. Their overall signature is better for me. Both have ever so slightly loose bass, but the Meze is of better quality as it transitions into the luscious mids better than the p7. I thought I'd answer even if you happen to be trolling to help others. Again, my apologies if you're not.
thanks

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #1,462 of 1,506
Own a p7 for more than 2 years and now the ear pad is seeping some oily and slimy substance... this stuff is hard to clean and is all over the contact point between ear pad and headphone

Yeah, that's glue alright. Try to contact B&W and explain your problem. Someone contacted me via PM asking me what  they should say to get their 'phones exchanged. This was mentioned a few pages back---even if you're out of warranty---make the case that the defect has been present since you bought it. The headphone assembly wasn't able to resist daily usage; this is not a user problem. 

If you ignore it, eventually you'll have a hard time removing the ear pads, then you won't even be able to replace them in the future because the new ones will get soiled as well. 

Anyone with this problem make sure to get it exchanged! They should give you a \courtesy warranty\ if more than 2 years has passed. 

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #1,464 of 1,506
Got the P7 yesterday!

When I got them out of the box and tested them I was like: What is this crap? I thought I had bought a $10 portable subwoofer for my head. What a rumbling mess. At low volume the vibration was so big that all I heard was parasitic plastic noises.lol

I figured they needed a burn in, either that or everyone else was crazy for recommending these.

After 3 hours playing some Psychedelic Trance and RAP things started changing a bit. The Bass became more controllable, some Wu Tang tracks were just impressive in the bass department.

Anyway, I left my Xduoo X3 playing pink noise the entire night, by today's morning they sounded better but not much different. Later in the afternoon I let them burning in with more Pink Noise, this time on my Clip Zip at high volume. When I got home from the Gym 3 hours later they were already a different beast. All the sub bass is tamed, bass is very controllable, the mids are starting to show, the highs are getting smoother. The weird thing is that some tracks now seem to be lacking a bit of bass/kick.

I'm not a fun of sub bass, I like clean impactful kick on my ears. I like to be able to give a shape to the sounds. I like the kick to sound/feel like a huge ball hitting me and not some earthquake so I'm hopping the P7 will go in that direction after more burn in.

Overall I'm pleased and optimistic about my purchase. I've heard these need at least 20hours burn in and around 200hours to truly shine so I'm very hopeful. :DDD

They match very nicely with my rockboxed Clip Zip (fuller sound), not so much with the rockboxed Xduoo X3 for now. The Xduoo X3 runs much better with the Yamaha EPH-100. In fact I I used to hate the Yamaha's until I got the X3, they have near 0 treble with most DAPs and DACs but seem fine with the Xduoo X3.

The other Heaphones I have are:

Sennheiser HD25 II : The P7 are already better (except mids)

Fisher Audio DB-02 MKII: P7 wins in everything except detail retrieval. Can't stand the DB-02, weird hollow artificial mids that completely trashed 97% of my music collection. Had to increase bass +6db and Treble +2db just to be able to use them with normal music.

Philips SHE3590: These were my go to iems for the last 3 years. Can't beat these $10 pearls with much, amazing V shaped sound signature for the price and still ahead of the P7 in most tracks because of it's sparkling beautiful treble, makes the music sound so stereophonic, tiny sounds flying everywhere. I'm hoping the P7 gets more similar to these pearls as the Burn In goes on else I will return or sell them because right now the treble sounds too recessed to me (need to raise Treble +6db on my rockboxed Xduoo to get to the level of the Philips (oh, and I'm not a Treble head, I can't stand the harsh highs on the BeyerDynamic T90 for example). The Bass in the P7 is already much better then the Philips at this moment.

In conclusion: If the Burn In goes as it should and Treble opens up these P7 will be fantastic. If not I'll return them or sell them and get a Audiophile over-ears version of the Philips SHE3590 if that even exists. Hope so, but i haven't found it yet!!! :)

ps: I'm also thinking about getting the Chord Mojo, hoping they make a good pair.

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #1,465 of 1,506
So a year has passed, I am with the third pair of P7 (exchanged via warranty), and the problem persists. After 2-5 months of usage, the right side driver starts to make a sizzling, rattling, noise. It makes the heaphones completely unusable.

I have contacted B&W and will try to replace it again, but something must be really wrong with the design of this product. Also, I have found other reviewers (ie. on Amazon) mentioning the same issue. I will try one last time before I ask for my money back.

Nov 24, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #1,466 of 1,506
Just wondering if anyone's compared these with Audioquest NightHawks?

Dec 3, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #1,467 of 1,506
Just got a used pair of p7's for my wife for Christmas and of course I had to try them out. I'd previously heard them at a bestbuy magnolia and definitely had a different impression of them then, than I do now. At the store they seemed more romantic and sweet, had a good aggressive detail and micro-dynamics but very composed and emitted in a finessed manner.. The ones I have on my head now do not sound like that. They're more neutral, and a little more aggressive. They're not bad. They scale up better than I thought they would. Just some quick impressions. I don't have a chord mojo but from what I have read about it, I wonder if that's what Best Buy had hooked up to the p7 at the store. For the price I paid, they'll work just fine for her.

Dec 3, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #1,468 of 1,506
  I just got the P7, and I have 30 days money back or exchange for another item, and am now considering if I should go with the wireless P7s instead as the price difference is quite small. 

I will probably be using it with an iPhone 6, possibly using an eternal DAC/Amp. The music I listen to is from Tidal Hifi, so lossless CD quality. 

If anyone who's owns or has owned both versions of the P7 can tell me if the wireless is better or not (read somewhere that it was) that would be greatly appreciated. Other than that I don't really care much about the actual wireless function, I just want good sound. 

I ended up with the wireless, and have listened both.
To me, the wireless did not lose anything versus the wired, and given the cable-less advantage, the choice was clear to me.
The P7 drivers are very efficient, so even limited power amps hosted within the headphones, can drive them very well.

Dec 5, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #1,469 of 1,506
Really digging the frequency response of these headphones right now.. Last night there seemed to be more peaks that irritated me more than tonight. Not sure if the brain burn in thing is going on here but enjoying these more today out of my iPad than last night in my desktop setup. Last night I had some peaks that were mildly irritating. pianos seem to resonate more than they should though and irritate me a little. These isolate very well and because of that there's a pressure to the eardrums that are more susceptible to said irritation.
Good detail and texture. The bass is textured well and because of the good detail they directly correspond with one another and you see a solidity to the image with good recordings. Where this really stands out however is you easily see flaws in recordings where synthesized bass starts somewhere and isn't finished properly. Highs capable of being shimmery and well textured. Midrange is also textured well and while I've heard a few times during a couple live recordings what sounded like a little bit of muffle I realized it was actually the singer getting to close to the microphone. Airy upper midrange!. It's something I miss as usually when I hear this much whisperyness up front in the upper midrange I'm expecting my ears to hurt from an uppermidrsnge peak. Not hurting :hugging:
I might be in love. Ive heard the big guns and know that more resolution, detail and bigger sound make for a technically better headphone but right now the p7 is questioning whether that's even necessary. Also the big guns don't usually have a curve like this as they generally try to fave more "reference"
These are also working great for gaming right now.
Id like to hear this headphone with more space between the drivers and ears, same FR but flat where the peaks and dips are and less resonance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back