Best classical recordings...ever!
Jun 21, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #9,122 of 9,368
Can't decide which interpretation I like best:

Recording suggestions? I have the Decca Hurford, but looking for others...

Jun 21, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #9,123 of 9,368
I have the Ton Koopman box of the complete Bach organ music on Das Alte Werk (sells for just over $30; this is BWV 543 from that set:

The sound is excellent, and the performances are lively and interesting throughout. Koopman made later recordings of some of the Bach organ pieces; I like them, too, but they are more expensive and scattered over several labels.

Hearing him perform live (here in Cleveland) was probably the best organ recital I've ever heard.

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #9,124 of 9,368
Folder.jpg
Nice sound quality and performance
Folder.jpg
R.I.P: Ludger Remy- interesting Album the cello suites trascribed for.. :D Harpsichord :D

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #9,129 of 9,368
Too conservative. Almost nothing here was recorded in the 21st century. Hardly any 20th century composers. (Some exceptions, but rare).

Too nostalgic.

That said, I just got my first DSD128 recording of Beethoven's 5&7, and am really enjoying with Chord Mojo.
The sound is incredible, and I'm thinking there is something to the whole DSD craze. Such detail and nuance. Very involving.

Okay, so it may not be the greatest performance in all of history, but it's pretty darn good. Recorded live in Pittsburgh in 2014. Available at Native DSD.

Aug 15, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #9,130 of 9,368
Too conservative. Almost nothing here was recorded in the 21st century. Hardly any 20th century composers. (Some exceptions, but rare).

Too nostalgic.

That said, I just got my first DSD128 recording of Beethoven's 5&7, and am really enjoying with Chord Mojo.
The sound is incredible, and I'm thinking there is something to the whole DSD craze. Such detail and nuance. Very involving.

Okay, so it may not be the greatest performance in all of history, but it's pretty darn good. Recorded live in Pittsburgh in 2014. Available at Native DSD.

Are you talking about this thread in general?

Aug 16, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #9,131 of 9,368

Too nostalgic.

If you like the Beethoven release maybe you will like the Tchaikovsky one from Reference Recordings too, Tchaikovsky's 6th coupled with a Suite from Dvorak's Opera Rusalka from the same team.
If you are looking for more modern stuff also recorded well, I could recommend the two latest installments in the symphony series of their contemporary Danish symphonic Master Noergaard by Dacapo. Available from them and other sites at 24/96.
A site to keep an eye on for contemporary music and well recorded is also BIS' own site e.classical.com.

Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #9,133 of 9,368

Too nostalgic.

Please, who do you think the truly great composers/recordings are now in the 21st century?

As a devout modern/contemporary music fan myself, Very few currently contemporary recordings sustain my interest for very long. Certainly entertaining, beautiful sometimes, interesting etc. but something I will return too decades from now as a true treasure, highly doubtful. And I consider myself an enthusiast. Think about the general music consuming public (or even the general classical music consuming public).

I personally am quite keen on Lachenmann and Rihm (two examples) but I would be very hesitant to put them in the same rank as a Ligeti or Carter. Let alone Mahler/Beethoven/Bach etc....
Most just seem to lack in creative innovation and lack any cultural strength to be culturally relevant in the long term.
Of course I could be wrong and becoming an irrelevant old man too but....

Aug 18, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #9,134 of 9,368

A timeless masterwork indeed.
I have all three on LPs
To me Mahler's "Das Lied von der Erde" seems to reach into a realm beyond time.
Christa Ludwig with Karajan and the BPO is also a must in this work imho.
Another classic recording is the 60s DGG LP with Nan Merriman/ Eugen Jochum
And the Reiner CSO on RCA Living Stereo SACD is not to be missed either.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #9,135 of 9,368
Please, who do you think the truly great composers/recordings are now in the 21st century?

The search for music that you will treasure three decades from now seems to be the problem from the start. No other music genre demands that of its listener, and often it is difficult to know at the time what you will treasure three decades from now. As far as recordings, I think there have been a lot of amazing recordings done in the 21st century, and there are dozens of great conductors, orchestras, ensembles, and thousands of individual musicians who are outstanding. At least as good as in previous eras. The biggest difference is the audience.

Classical enthusiasts tend to be very dependent on what people at the time thought or said about a particular recording or performance. Take Bach's cello suites, for instance. I'm listening to a remastered version of Janos Starker's 1950s and 1960s recordings in high resolution (176/24). It sounds great, and it is truly amazing playing. But to say that it surpasses, without a doubt, all of the recordings done in the past 15-20 years would be very naive. If I buy a new recording, I'm not necessarily looking for the one I will listen to in 30 years, but rather the one I want to hear now.

I don't actually know that many living composers I enjoy or would compare to Bach, Beethoven, or even Sibelius. Still, I'm a fan of many 20th century guys like Bax, Britten, Cace, Takemitsu, Walton and others.

Again, no one goes out to by a rock or hip-hop album with the intent of finding the one they will cherish until they die. It's completely over-the-top. Why do that with classical? Many of the small and mid-sized record labels, like Bis, Alpha, CPO, Linn and Hyperion, among others are putting out great new music, and new recordings. I stay away from Decca, DG, and other big labels, but that's not to say they're bad, I just prefer to have a fresh look on things. It's the conservatism of the genre that generally means the big-label stuff frankly sucks in comparison to the smaller ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back