Best classical recordings...ever!
Apr 23, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #9,106 of 9,368

BUT he himself thought recordings were inadaquate for conveying a musical event and generally did not want recordings to be made of his performances. So therefore I generally respect his wishes and avoid the recordings. 
beyersmile.png

Those who avoid recording, will be avoided. 
cool.gif

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #9,108 of 9,368
Karl Richter's 1959 recording of the St Matthew Passion is up there. I love the austerity of Klemperer, but I think the early Richter version comes out ahead. He takes certain passages in the recitative/narrative episodes and makes them hugely expressive. The choir singing "Wahrlich ist er der Sohn Gottes gewesen" (after the earthquake in no.73 (?)) has now become one of my favourite parts of the piece. Richter makes it sound like something out of Parsifal. It is perfect for this moment of recognition.

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #9,109 of 9,368
Also, Sviatoslav Richter's Symphonic Études is ridiculously good - he makes the variations that Schumann excised compelling. And most of Barbirolli's Mahler, but especially the songs CD with Janet Baker.

May 6, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #9,112 of 9,368

Enjoyed this all Russian set by the Borodin Quartet. Hadn't heard the Stravinsky pieces before.
There's another clip of the same concert of them playing the Tchaikovsky string quartet 1 which is also worth looking up imo.

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #9,115 of 9,368
Will ask it here too which recording you like most of these two? Robert King consort or Vittorio negri Vivaldi sacred music?

May 26, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #9,117 of 9,368
Robert King was convicted of sexually assaulting five children. I don't listen to recordings involving convicted pedophiles.
found the Vittorio Negri on Phillips to be better sounding, more barock-ey than the king one, so kept the Phillips set

May 27, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #9,118 of 9,368
Robert King was convicted of sexually assaulting five children. I don't listen to recordings involving convicted pedophiles.
Absolutely agree

May 30, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #9,119 of 9,368
I haven't posted here in ages, after starting to play the classical guitar more seriously this year. This classic double album is a great run-through of some of the better guitar-orchestral works of the 20th century. Eduardo Fernandez is really one of the best there is, and it's not easy to get the volume right in a recording of guitar and orchestra. I'm sure there are newer, better quality recordings, but I think the playing here is superb, and frankly the music is great. Also, for the bass-lovers, these Decca albums have a nice bottom end.

Well I´m spanish and I admit I have a bias for spanish interpreters my favourite being the version by Pepe Romero
ACH000124496.1418792110.580x580.jpg

that being said I can highly recommend this version by Sharon Isbin:
51c8vRGxyfL._SS500.jpg

When you need to cleanse the palate put on De Lucia, he does his own less classical and more personal interpretation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back