Best audiophile metal and rock albums
May 5, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #481 of 525
I wonder if this forum will have a good poll feature. Would like to see a poll for this thread.

May 5, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #482 of 525
May 5, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #483 of 525
From those lists, made this playlist: It's not my personal list, but I have the FLAC of all of em, even though some I hadn't listened to in a few years. Listening now!

Traffic - Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
Santana - Caravanserai
Pink Floyd - Dark Side
Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark
Supertramp - Crime of the Century
Joni Mitchell - The Hissing Of Summer Lawns
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Steely Dan - Aja
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Dire Straits
Steve Winwood - Arc of a Diver
Peter Gabriel 3
Roxy Music - Avalon
The Police - Ghost IN The Machine
Rush - Moving Pictures
XTC - English Settlement
Dire Straits - Love Over Gold
Toto - Toto IV
Robert Plan - The Principle Of Moments
The Blue Nile - A Walk Across The Rooftops
Grace Jones - Slave to the Rhythm
Swans - Children Of God
Talk Talk - Spirit OF Eden
The Blue Nile - Hats
Kate Bush - The Sensual World
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Slint - Spiderland
The Jayhawks - Hollywood Town Hall
Los Lobos - Kiko
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

May 19, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #484 of 525
The best audiophile metal/rock albums are the prog ones: Pink Floyd, Symphony X, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Crimson Glory, Genesis, Neal Morse, Subterranean Masquerade, Maudlin of the Well, Explosions in the Sky, The Gathering, Green Carnation all sound great in a high end headphone. Then there's the audiophile's favorite Dream Theater (not my favorite). The very best audiophile album could very well be Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon.

Other good album would be Mr Bungle - California.
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd hit one out of the ballpark there.

May 19, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #485 of 525
Post-metal albums seem to be hit or miss on production, with some being very good, such as Wake/Lift by Rosetta, and others being very bad... like the Pelican album Australasia.

That said, Pelican is still freaking AWESOME.

Edit: Explosions in the Sky is not progressive metal. It's not even metal. It's instrumental post-rock.
Explosions in the Sky does fall under "Rock," which the OP listed.

May 19, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #486 of 525
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction (MFSL)
Yes - Fragile (MFSL)
Tool - Aenima, Lateralus
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia, Lightbulb Sun (Original master), Stupid Dream
Opeth - Blackwater Park, Deliverance
Gojira - The Link Re-Release
Necrophagist - Epitaph
Monstrosity - Spiritual Apocalypse
Satyricon - Volcano
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (SACD, XRCD)
A Perfect Circle - Thirteen Steps
Primus - Sailing The Seas Of Cheese
RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magic
Dave Matthews Band - B4 These Crowded Streets, Crash
Godsmack - Other Side
Lacuna Coil - Comalies
Nightwish - Oceanborn
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
Pearl Jam - Ten (Ok, not exceptional)
Pink Floyd - The Wall (MFSL), WYWH (MFSL), DSOTM (SACD), The Final Cut
Roger Waters - Amused to Death (Q Sound!)
Steely Dan - Umm....Aja, Gaucho are top, but all albums sound great
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
Stevie Ray Vaughan - The Sky Is Crying
Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses
Dream Theater - Awake
Nirvana - Unplugged
Eric Clapton - Unplugged
Lamb Of God - Ashes Of The Wake
Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment
Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E
Extreme - III Sides to Every Story
Fates Warning - Pleasant Shade of Gray
Cowboy Junkies - Whites Off Earth Now! (SACD), Trinity Sessions, Lay it Down (not exactly rock, but I had to mention
smily_headphones1.gif

Breaking Benjamin - We Are Not Alone
Audioslave - Audioslave
Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine
Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side
Scorpions - Moment Of Glory
Metallica - S&M
System Of A Down - Toxicity
Gov't Mule - Dose
Iced Earth - Horror Show, Burnt Offerings
Enslaved - Ruun
Kasabian - Kasabian
Dredg - El Cielo

That's quite a comprehensive list. Do you spend an hour deciding what you're going to listen to when you have time to sit down and enjoy an album start to finish?

May 19, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #487 of 525
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven

x2
and metallica - and justice for all

Have to disagree with And Justice for All. Musicianship is top notch, but the bass is absolutely non-existent. The band thought mixing the album sans bass would be a great way to initiate Jason, as he was just coming into the fold. Unfortunately, they didn't think about how badly it would malign the production of an otherwise well-made record.

May 19, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #488 of 525
You'd think there would be masters with the appropriate bass track, and they could remix it. I would expect that to happen once they get to the 3 disc reissue.

May 31, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #489 of 525
Many people talks about Tool,

In my opinion Undertow is by far the best produced album by Tool! One of the best sounding "metal" albums of all times. Sure, the guitar sound is suppressed, but thats the sound Adam went for the record and has nothing to do with the production.
The album has great dynamics and sound realy realy nice!

Anima second but does not come cloes to Undertow. In fact, it's just slightly better than the 2 below.

10.000 & Lateralus has nothing of a audiophile quality.
Both album is over compressed, they are both equally bad. But Lateralus is almost unlistenable.

In a real good audiophile system thats really revealing, Undertow is the one from Tool. Can't belive anyone have't mentioned it before.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #492 of 525
I will post more modern music coming up but, as far as my vinyl goes the best live album I have ever heard is UFO's Strangers in the Night. Flat out monumental production that captures all the energy and excitement, and on good gear puts you in the audience like you wouldn't believe! Michael Shenker's guitar is phenomenal throughout, and this 1979 album has a kick-ass bottom end, which is rare in 70's classic rock. I am lucky to still have it and never tire of listening to it. A world - class performance and production.

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #493 of 525
Portable: (is jitterbug a good improvement or won't feel nothing different ? )
DAC/AMP: DragonFly Black v1.5
PHONES: 1More Triple Driver

Home: (Yes my equipment is very old, I'm thinking to change the amp someday)
SPEAKERS: Heybrook HB2
AMP: Pioneer DC-Z73
TURNTABLE: Pioneer PL-Z93
CD PLAYER: Pioneer PD-107

I listen my music in FLAC format ripped without compression from my CD collection. I love going to a shop and buy some CDs and the best is they are new and sealed and I buy them very cheap (like 5€ some of them).
Start thinking to buy some vinils now since I fixed the turntable some days ago.

So from my experience the albums that I listened and I think that they have a very good sound are:

Anthrax - Persistence of Time (very clean and dynamic, you can hear all instruments very clear)
Deftones - White Poney (warm sound)
Dream Theater - Awake (so open, so detailed, so good)
Korn - The first four albums are very good mastered but Korn and Life is Peachy are top notch in my opinion
Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake (sound detailed but sometimes clips and you can hear distortion in some songs like the Ashes of The Wake)
Opeth - BlackWater Park and Ghost Riveries are very well produced, Damnation has a nice sound too
Pantera - Maybe I'll be bashed on this one but I think that The Great Southern Trendkill Remastered has a very open sound and detailed
Slayer - Reign in Blood and Seasons in Abyss (top notch production this one)
Slipknot - In general the albums have compress sound but that's a shame because their music has so much things going on (Sid Wilson and Craig Jones details are amazing). Said that the first album maybe it's the best mastered.
Tool - Aenema and Lateralus can be the winners on this list, sound very beatiful and detailed.

Feb 19, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #494 of 525
Another really good recording is Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds. That is just one really good blend of music, rock, and science fiction. Well worth listening to.

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #495 of 525
Another really good recording is Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds. That is just one really good blend of music, rock, and science fiction. Well worth listening to.

Hey, this one I have completely forgotten about! Thanks for bringing it back to my attention. The good thing is I haven't listened to it in so long that I'm truly rediscovering it again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back