Balanced Solid State Headphone Amp?
Jul 16, 2017 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

John Aiello

Head-Fier
I am looking for a Solid State Headphone Amp with the following features:

Balanced Input and Balanced Headphone Output
Does not have a DAC
Has to be Solid State (don't want to mess with tubes)
Prefer Silver face (to match the rest of my components)

I really wanted to own a Questyle but in order to get balanced operation I need to buy two and then need to deal with two volume controls. Not my favorite plan. I know that there is one from Sim Audio Moon and the Auralic Taurus Mk. II which is where I currently lean. I'd love to buy a Cavelli but you can't buy a new one anywhere. What am I missing? The Pass Labs is single ended only. Bryson? Probably not better than the Auralic?

Looking for additional ideas. I certainly don't know every amp out there. What am I missing?

Jul 16, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 25

Does not have a DAC

I really wanted to own a Questyle but in order to get balanced operation I need to buy two and then need to deal with two volume controls. Not my favorite plan. I know that there is one from Sim Audio Moon and the Auralic Taurus Mk. II which is where I currently lean. I'd love to buy a Cavelli but you can't buy a new one anywhere. What am I missing? The Pass Labs is single ended only. Bryson? Probably not better than the Auralic?

Looking for additional ideas. I certainly don't know every amp out there. What am I missing?

The Headamp GSX- mk2 ticks all those boxs. I'm sure there are others.

Jul 16, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 25
There are a couple from Schiit that tick those requirements. Both Jotunheim and Ragnarok are all solid state and Mjolnir 2 can run as solid state with Schiit's tube replacements LISST; just drop them in and forget it, no hassle with tubes.

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 25
Jul 17, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 25
The Violectric V281 is crazy/good (and it comes in silver). I have it. It's world-class IMO.

If you really don't want the preamp functionality, the next model down is the V281 (30-40% cheaper than V281, but still balanced in/out).

I also have the Liquid Carbon...just love the sound out of that. It has balanced in & out. Not as powerful or dynamic as the V281 (very little else is)--but it has a very engaging, slightly warm sound. It drives my power-hungry planar (ZMF Ori) with no difficulty, even on low gain. You can get a used one now or then for ~$650-$700. If you go used, try to get one from the 2nd offering (v2) or 3rd offering (same v2, just a little newer).

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #12 of 25

Does not have a DAC

Jotunheim can be ordered without the USB DAC nor phonostage.

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #14 of 25
Moon 430HA is fantastic, I got two of these - one at home and one at the office :) Highly recommended. You can get it both with or without DAC - I got the one with DAC (for both) since it is practical for the periods you are "in between DACs".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back