Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP with ESS9018KM + 2.5mm Balanced Out)
May 16, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #1,276 of 1,991
As regards possible improvements in the firmware: when the filename contains characters with accents, this is shown with a trailing space after the character. I would expect this could easily be corrected, but I haven't yet noticed anyone else mentioning this. Example: Dvorák shows as Dvorá k, Järvi shows as Jä rvi. Hopefully this could be corrected in a future revision.

A second point, which has been mentioned before by others, is that long filenames (some 60 characters?) cannot be processed and don't show up at all. It would be very welcome if longer filenames would be accepted (for example double the size).

P.S. I know it should be Dvořák but the ř cannot be managed in simple ASCII so I can understand that the Aune can't show that correctly.

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #1,277 of 1,991
I use a 200 Gb micro SD card (SanDisk Ultra micro SD), formatted as ExFat, which works fine. Previously I used a Samsung EVO 128 Gb (formatted FAT32) which had hiccups when playing DSD files. I don't know whether this means it also can handle 256 Gb, but then I haven't yet found a 256 Gb micro SD card.

I see, well I also own a 128gb micro sd card.....sadly 256gb micro sd card is not yet available in Malaysia....sad.....

May 17, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #1,278 of 1,991
As regards possible improvements in the firmware: when the filename contains characters with accents, this is shown with a trailing space after the character. I would expect this could easily be corrected, but I haven't yet noticed anyone else mentioning this. Example: Dvorák shows as Dvorá k, Järvi shows as Jä rvi. Hopefully this could be corrected in a future revision.

A second point, which has been mentioned before by others, is that long filenames (some 60 characters?) cannot be processed and don't show up at all. It would be very welcome if longer filenames would be accepted (for example double the size).

P.S. I know it should be Dvořák but the ř cannot be managed in simple ASCII so I can understand that the Aune can't show that correctly.

Yes, I second a fix for truncation of long filenames. This is especially relevant for classical music folders since files generally include many details (e.g., conductor, performers, composer, piece).

Thanks in advance to the Aune team!

May 17, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #1,279 of 1,991
Find another two winning combos - M1S on mid gain and the Oriveti New Primacy triple hybrid, and M1S on high gain with the Audioquest Nighthawks (both from single ended). Yet to find an IEM that doesn't appreciate this little player - anyone come across any gear that DOESN'T play nicely with the Aune?

May 17, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #1,282 of 1,991
Hello @yacobx

Do you think is it a good idea to re-terminate the zen 2 into 2.5m trrs balance? :)

If you have a balanced amp. The zen would benefit from more power.

What I'm trying to say is that zen 2 straight out of m1s is ok.

The asura is sensitive even being 150ohm and does really well without an amp but to be fair it enjoys a little extra juice too.

I love the asura straight from m1s.

May 18, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #1,284 of 1,991
I want long text fix too!!

All my earphones sounds good on Aune as long as they have low impedance (I wouldn't go above 150) the warm one are more detailed, the bright one are smoothen. It's so clear and easy, very addictive sound. I tried to go back to fiio m3 the other day, it was a pain Haha.

May 18, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #1,285 of 1,991
Thanks Sir @nmatheis. I'll just buy the zen 2.0 and have it re-terminated next time. Does it lose any details without using an amp? It will cost me a few bucks for the RA plus and I can't bring it when I'm in travel because it's too bulky for me.

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #1,286 of 1,991
Thanks Sir @nmatheis. I'll just buy the zen 2.0 and have it re-terminated next time. Does it lose any details without using an amp? It will cost me a few bucks for the RA plus and I can't bring it when I'm in travel because it's too bulky for me.

Your Zen 2.0 will scale up nicely with more power, which balanced out will provide. But it's not essential. Please enjoy your Zen 2.0 with single-ended connector until you're ready to step up to balanced. No need to jump directly to balanced.

May 20, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #1,288 of 1,991
I guess I'll stick to single-ended connector on Zen 2 when I get one soon. Thanks.

I would also suggest that you also consider purchasing 3.5mm balanced version. Which is directly compatible with most players' 3.5mm Single Ended output without an adapter and easily adapted to 2.5mm balanced with a simple adapter that should come with it. Only downside is that you cannot use it without an adapter with your smartphone. Note that both these adapter are included by VE AFAIK.

I bought my VE Espresso Monks this way and use it with Xduoo X3 and XD-05 without any issues. With my phone, I use an adapter. I don't have a source with 2.5mm balanced yet but I will get M1s or X5iii soon.

May 20, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #1,289 of 1,991
I guess I'll stick to single-ended connector on Zen 2 when I get one soon. Thanks.

Bro, if you're really decided on getting the Zen 2.0, get the 2.5mm balanced version. It comes with an adapter so that you can use it on SE connection. That one is listed at $158 on Aliexpress.

HTB1_.UHNXXXXXcQXVXXq6xXFXXX9.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back