Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP with ESS9018KM + 2.5mm Balanced Out)
Apr 19, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #1,096 of 1,991

Hi everybody! A rocket just sent the latest test build here! For those who have the popping sound issue from v1.058, please try this one.
smily_headphones1.gif

This is where I downloaded all my test files http://www.2l.no/hires/ (if you guys wondered where I got those DSD files from), well the "pop sound" on some DSD128 track is slightly reduced but not totally eliminated. The sd card that I am currently using is SanDisk 128GB Class 10 Micro SDXC which was formatted to FAT32. If you guys want to know how the "pop sound" sounds like try downloading the tack "Arnesen: MAGNIFICAT 4. Et misericordia" in DSD128 format........well first, I apologise because pop sound might not be audible if you use a certain micro sd card (I have no idea which type....sorry). So do try them out if you have multiple micro sd cards lying around, thank you. 

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #1,099 of 1,991
 Originally Posted by AuneAudio 
  auneM1S_1.058_revised.zip 517k .zip file

Hi everybody! A rocket just sent the latest test build here! For those who have the popping sound issue from v1.058, please try this one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Aune!

With flac files, I didn't notice any cutoffs at the beginning of songs using this version so I think the problem is fixed. However, there's this crackling sound at the very end of some songs...

Still, thanks for your great effort @AuneAudio!

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #1,100 of 1,991

smily_headphones1.gif

Dear @AuneAudio, many thanks for arranging a UK review tour.
To any who are interested, you can find my review of the DAP at the following Head-Fi page:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/aune-m1s-32bit-384khz-dsd128-3-5mm-2-5mm-balanced-hifi-audiophile-lossless-portable-music-player/reviews/18470

Many thanks, it's been an absolute pleasure
beyersmile.png

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #1,101 of 1,991

Dear @AuneAudio, many thanks for arranging a UK review tour.
To any who are interested, you can find my review of the DAP at the following Head-Fi page:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/aune-m1s-32bit-384khz-dsd128-3-5mm-2-5mm-balanced-hifi-audiophile-lossless-portable-music-player/reviews/18470

Many thanks, it's been an absolute pleasure
beyersmile.png

Very good (first) review. I highly recommend getting a new one, if you cannot keep the sample :)

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #1,102 of 1,991
Hypothetical...can Aune retune the bass section with an update? I think if there was a bit more emphasis on realism down there, this thing could be amazing. I like it, don't get me wrong. I'm just finding it a little hard to distinguish bass (personality) in a lot of rock songs. You know like a Fender bass should sound like it's played through a Bassman (if it was) or an Ampeg cabinet, etc. I'm having a hard time with that.

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #1,104 of 1,991

Very good (first) review. I highly recommend getting a new one, if you cannot keep the sample :)

Thank you! I'll certainly consider that, haha
beyersmile.png

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #1,105 of 1,991
Hi
@aune fw 1.058 revised. DSD128 no more pops and other noise when reading files ok!

Pop only present when long press to increase vol and only DSD128 no bug with DSD64and other files
Crack present in end DSD128 file it s hazardous not recurrent in every file
Good job for the reading!!! It's the most important desagreement
Regards

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #1,106 of 1,991
Hi
@aune fw 1.058 revised. DSD128 no more pops and other noise when reading files ok!

Pop only present when long press to increase vol
Crack present in end DSD128 file it s hazardous not recurrent in every file
Good job for the reading!!! It's the most important desagreement
Regards

What Micro Sd Card are you using right now that does not have DSD128 popping issue?

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #1,107 of 1,991
From a Purely SQ Standpoint, Aune m1s vs Cayin N3. which ones better? I've read a lot of good reviews of the n3 with a review even saying it sounds better than a fiio x5iii. but it seems overenthusiastic IMO. on paper the Aune should outclass the N3. can anyone who has heard both of these DAP's chime in? The Aune doesn't have many reviews comparing it to other DAP's. I'd really like to know how it stacks up to the Cayin n3 and the fiio x5iii Purely SQ Wise. 

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #1,108 of 1,991
From a Purely SQ Standpoint, Aune m1s vs Cayin N3. which ones better? I've read a lot of good reviews of the n3 with a review even saying it sounds better than a fiio x5iii. but it seems overenthusiastic IMO. on paper the Aune should outclass the N3. can anyone who has heard both of these DAP's chime in? The Aune doesn't have many reviews comparing it to other DAP's. I'd really like to know how it stacks up to the Cayin n3 and the fiio x5iii Purely SQ Wise. 

I've heard both (and many other DAPs), and imho the answer isn't so simple despite the many claims of DAP A has better SQ vs DAP B that are constantly being made in headfi and other forms. I think a better way to approach this is to let us know what type of sound signature you're after, and then we can provide guidance.

I'd also strongly suggest you don't just take SQ into account. You're buying something you'll be using frequently, so making sure other features such as GUI, ergonomics, connectivity, etc. meet your needs is very important in the decision making process in my opinion.

As an example, I'm one of the people who prefer to listen to N3 vs X5 v3. I found N3 to have better dynamics, soundstage, imaging, etc. Others prefer X5 v3. Are either of us wrong? Nope, we just have different tastes. I'm guessing they prefer a smoother, more intimate sound. And I'm not going to claim that N3 has better SQ vs X5 v3, either. But if somebody tells me what they're after, I can provide some guidance.

Another thing to consider is that sound can change with these DAPs depending on fw version. For instance, when I first got a sample N3 I felt it was too warm but a fw release came which provides much more neutral tuning. Similar thing happened with M1s with the last fw update, which made single ended output sound more open to me. So, that aren't static devices. They're in development to a certain extent until the developers obsolete them.

Hope that makes sense to you even if it wasn't the more black and white answer you wanted.

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #1,109 of 1,991
Thanks for the Elaborate reply, I really do get what you're saying. and it makes a lot of sense. The sound I'm looking for is large soundstage, good detail and neutrality. I'm not a fan of overpowering bass presence, Currently, My setup is Mojo with a Shanling m1, and its exactly what I'm hoping to get. I'm looking for a DAP which can replace this, with somewhat similar sound as carrying a Transport+mojo around can become very difficult for me and I would like to shift to a single solution. Currently I'm considering Fiio X7, Fiio X5-iii, Cayin N3, and Aune m1s. I'm OK with not having android or Bluetooth and I can even handle clumsy UI, But SQ is the most important factor. If the SQ of x5-iii is on par with mojo, or close to mojo then I would go for the fiio as it has android. But I'm really intrigued by the simplicity of the Aune and Cayin and if they can deliver SQ on par with mojo I would really like to get a simpler more dedicated dap instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back