Audiotrak Prodigy Cube
Apr 4, 2009 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1
http://img.skitch.com/20090404-t7r7p...hf4gtmi6eq.png

Since I recently received my Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC, which only has coax or BNC input, I've been searching for a suitable adaptor to use it from my MacBook Pro. For the most part this means an optical to coax, or USB to coax adaptor box of some description. As I have music in 24/96 format and want to be able to play it, finding a USB device that supports 24/96 and has coax output can be a chore. Most USB devices only support 16/48 and even if they support more, like the M-Audio Fast Track Pro, the drivers are hopeless, not allowing me to select 24/96 output at all!

I took a chance in a local electronics store, to see if they had anything useful in the soundcard/audio interface section, and, as luck had it, found Audiotrak's new Prodigy Cube. They are possibly more well known for the Dr.Dac2, which, if you are into OPAMP rolling, is the ultimate toy. The Cube also has an OPAMP (the OPA2134), for driving headphones, which can be rolled. However, it can be a passthrough for digital into optical or coax.

http://www.audiotrak.jp/product/prod...e_circuit7.jpg

Best of all, it doesn't require driver installation to work with both PC and Mac at 24/96!

The first time I tried it, the Reference 1 wouldn't lock onto the signal, which was frustrating. I correctly guessed that Audio-gd had included the ability to change the PLL clock frequency settings, so while I was waiting, I plugged the unit into my Compass instead. The result was suprising -- compared to use the optical or USB input I usually use with the Compass, the sound was smoother. I'm not sure if this was an improvement in SQ or a "more jitter, less detail" smoothing, however.

The important thing is I now have 24/96 going to the Reference 1 and a handy little DAC I can OPAMP-roll.

Forum discussion of this device is here.

Specs:
Interface: USB interface (1.1/2.0 compatible)
Analog Input: Microphone input (3.5mm, 24bit/48kHz)
Analog Output: Line Output (RCA), dual headphone outputs (stereo phone, mini-stereo)
Digital Output: Optical / Coaxial
Digital Output: PCM, AC3 PassThrough
Headphone impedance: 16 ~ 150Ω
OPAMP circuit: OPA2134 x 1 (socket method) THD + N: 0.0008% (max) (2kΩ @ 1kHz)
D / A Converter: Wolfson's WM8776
Dynamic Range: 108dB 108dB
Frequency response: 24bit/96kHz
OPAMP voltage: +-5V (dual supply system up to 10V)
Power supply: USB bus power
Supported OS: Windows XP/2000/2003/Vista, Mac OS X
Dimensions (mm): 94 x 90 x 22 (W x D x H)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back