Audiolab Q-DAC
Aug 20, 2013 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

CRUZMISL

Head-Fier
I recently purchased the new Q-DAC from Audiolab and was surprised to not find any discussion about it here on Head-Fi.

The Q-DAC is very similar to the highly regarded M-DAC. The main differences are the removal of the balanced XLR outputs and the halving of the optical and coax inputs. 

A different version of the ESS Sabre32 DAC chip is also used, the M-DAC uses the 9018 and the Q-DAC has the 9016.

The rotary knob is removed and the LCD display is smaller with less information on screen.

Personally, I did not need any of the extra features on the M-DAC so saved some money and went with the Q-DAC, which was already a stretch from what I was looking to spend. 

Onto some unboxing pictures:

I connect my Q-DAC to my computer via the asynchronous USB input and run my HE-400's directly from the Q-DAC's headphone output.

The sound quality from this source is fantastic. A major upgrade from the Auzentech Forte soundcard I was previously using.

Here is my Q-DAC stacked on top of my ancient Sony mini system next to my PC:

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 19
I can only compare to my old soundcard (Forte) and a FiiO E07K with my HE-400's and find it hard to describe what I am hearing, suffice to say that the Q-DAC is much better.

The E07K is warmer and the soundcard was more bright than the very balanced Q-DAC.

The simplest way for me to describe it is that it has improved everything the HE-400's can do from the my other sources. Whereas previously I only heard 80% of the headphones potential, i now get 99%.

Clarity, texture and detail are improved over all frequencies.

The integrated amp powers them sufficiently.

Oct 26, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 19
Hi I am also in western australia. Went into headphonics yesterday looking for an dac and amp combo n the guy recommended me the q dac as well. However I am not too sure whether I should get one as base on review frok what hifi q dac is inferior in terms of sound quality to the m dac?

What is your opinion?

I might as well just get the matrix m stage combo for less abkut 530 vs 730 for the q dac...

I findit really shocking as well that no one mentions much on the q dac.I

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 19
Oct 30, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #8 of 19
At the end I have decided to wait for yulong d200 to be released at 490 usd which even supports dsd. Cannot wait for them to release.

How did u find the sound of the qdac? I am hesistant in buying one because as per whathifi the dac is not performing even at the price it is at. So yea...

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #9 of 19
Yulong D200? Where did you source that info from?

Quote:
At the end I have decided to wait for yulong d200 to be released at 490 usd which even supports dsd. Cannot wait for them to release.

How did u find the sound of the qdac? I am hesistant in buying one because as per whathifi the dac is not performing even at the price it is at. So yea...

Oct 31, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #10 of 19
Hi ReiserFS, Some from this forum and other in the china forum linked.

The price was something i assumed as I was in contact with Tam Audio asking why the price of d100 mk2 increased when I was about to get it (luckily I did not), he mentioned that they increased the price (i am talking about their ebay shop) to anticipate future pricing of the replacement. Hence I am assuming they price should be thereabouts.

I also asked them whether it would be out as said in forum end of this year but apparently it will be released next year.

Hope this answers.

Dec 28, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #12 of 19

I've just bought one of these for £149 and am stunned at its capability. I use a Fiio X3 as source through VTL and XTC amps and KEF Reference speakers. For the price it's astonishing and more listenable than my Naim CD5x. I haven't even tried the headphone socket yet. Remarkable!

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #13 of 19
I have purchased this, now at a step down price considering its 3 yrs old ; Though DACs tend to have expensive or even cheap pricing.

Here are its specs : 

Q-DAC specifications:

DAC: ESS Sabre32 9016
Resolution: 32 Bits
Digital Coaxial Input: 1

Digital Optical Input: 1

Digital USB Input: 1
Asynchronous USB Data: Yes
RCA Output: 1
Headphone Amplifier: Yes
Dimensions (WxHxD mm): 250 x 59 x 252
Pre Amplifier: Yes

I will test it to my R70x Audio Technica to see how it performs. 

Any suggestions for connecting it to some good amplfiers ? Yamaha, AudioDAC, or any other ones ?

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #15 of 19

It already has it's own headphone amplifier.

True. It has. (After quite some time of understanding it, ; Even the shop-owners have no clue, ... they just nodded a yes, with a confused state-of-mind) 
blink.gif

But I am referring to connect it to a external amplifier, so that I can then have it connected to speakers. (Analog Audio)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back