AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Jul 26, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #3,166 of 3,694
Early Adopters Syndrome is alive and well in AudioPhoolery. :wink:

But then we have been listening to this level of SQ for all this time while others could only hang on our every word… hahahahahahaha…

And we all know that the rules of engagement for living on the bleeding edge involves being willing to have our wallets bleed, not to mention our brains, as we struggle with how to get it all to work.
And knowing full well that after we mod the gear, no one is going to want our gear when/if we are done with it.

So enjoy the fruits of (y)our efforts and know you were there 1st and 'encouraged' all those who followed.

JJ :)

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #3,167 of 3,694
I too have a pair of FMC's betwixt my Mac and RN3.
It does make a difference, especially when the rest of the system is 'dialed in'.
But as we know it’s the cumulative results of many tweaks that really tells the tale.

In fact I'm writing up my results of yet another tweak to add to the growing heap of tweaks…

Yeah the tweak gene is running rampant around here. :L3000:

JJ

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #3,169 of 3,694
The fiber optic connection won't work on the RN3 because they are in ADAT format (not SPDIF).
And the D16 has no fiber connectivity.

JJ

Jul 27, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #3,170 of 3,694
I concur. Based on an old CA thread I hopped on the fiber optic train about a year and a half ago. Have a fiber optic switch, a bunch of FMC's and a few fiber NIC's. I can relate to having the tinkering gene.

Which fiber switch did you get. At my age I can use all of the fiber I can get:)

Jul 27, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #3,171 of 3,694
What are the fibre optic cables people are using with their Rednet?

I am using this Startech card in my PC: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MZ2V3NY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This fiber cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000067SCF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And these FMC's: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AVRLZI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one fiber card in my PC and then the built in ethernet port. So here is the setup:

Starttech PCIe fiber card > SC fiber> FMC> CAT7> D16

PC ethrnet port > CAT7 > FMC(LPS powered) > fiber > FMC > CAT7 > LAN switch

I believe that the principle benefit is from great isolation for the signal and especially the grounds.

Jul 27, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #3,172 of 3,694
The fiber optic connection won't work on the RN3 because they are in ADAT format (not SPDIF).
And the D16 has no fiber connectivity.

JJ

Sorry to confuse. We are using fiber for the ethernet input connections to the D16.

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #3,173 of 3,694
The D16 has a fiber input?
I'm confused because the photo's don't show any fiber connectivity.

(headscratch smilie)

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #3,174 of 3,694
The D16 has a fiber input?
I'm confused because the photo's don't show any fiber connectivity.

(headscratch smilie)

Correct. The D16 has an ethernet input.

I use a fiber optic to ethernet converter (FMC). So it goes: ethernet> FMC>fiber optic cable> FMC> ethernet.

The fiber is inserted in the ethernet path via the two FMC's. It cuts off any noise carried in a copper ground path i.e. isolation. In my system it made a nice difference.

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #3,176 of 3,694
What are the fibre optic cables people are using with their Rednet?
Ok one more time.

I use these FMC's from TP-Link
http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-43_MC210CS.html
Amazon sells them in a bundle with a cable.

These FMC's (Fiber Media Converters) use a single mode fiber cable so make sure you have the correct cable for the devices that the cable plugs into.
And also make sure the bandwidth of the FMC device matches the ethernet capability of the computer feeding it, as in its rate of thruput.

JJ

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #3,177 of 3,694
Ok one more time.

I use these FMC's from TP-Link
http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-43_MC210CS.html
Amazon sells them in a bundle with a cable.

These FMC's (Fiber Media Converters) use a single mode fiber cable so make sure you have the correct cable for the devices that the cable plugs into.
And also make sure the bandwidth of the FMC device matches the ethernet capability of the computer feeding it, as in its rate of thruput.

JJ

I used the MC200CM which supports SC multi-mode fiber. I am using very short lengths: 1m and 3m. I know this works for me and although it is easily possible that what you mention will be fine I do not really have enough experience with fiber to recommend something else. If you buy from Amazon it is easy to return it!

FYI. There is a long thread on The Computer Audiophile that goes into this in depth.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #3,178 of 3,694
Yeah the CA thread goes into depth on this.
I instead just wanted to implement a fiber solution and this setup works on my Mac Pro with nary a glitch, hitch nor stumble.
And it was well under $150 for the whole setup, including shipping etc.

I even took it one step further and LPS'd the end point that feeds the RN3 instead of using the SMPS wall wart.

So the tweaker in me has had his say as well… :)

JJ

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #3,179 of 3,694
Sorry JJ. I thought that you were asking how to do it. I did not realize that you were explaining how you have already worked it out!

It certainly is a worthwhile tweak.

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #3,180 of 3,694
Say there.
Not a problem.

And yeah 'isolating' the computer from the audio chain does make a difference, not to mention, NOT using those SMPS wall warts.

It seems like paying attention to these easily overlooked picky-picky details, provides us with significant steps up in SQ.

And they are 'fairly' easy to implement.

A tweakers paradise of sorts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back