AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Jul 11, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #3,151 of 3,694
Rednet PCI card offers nothing for home audio use with Rednet 3 or D16 - DVS is absolutely fine. If you're PC is having problems with latency, than get a new PC, don't invest in the Rednet PCI card. An embedded solution running DVS with external LPS will be cheaper and sound better. Lowering latency by a few msec isn't going to improve your system at all.

Have you actually heard a system with the Rednet PCI card? I'm not having problems with latency in my system but have read in at least 3 sites without axe to grind that SQ with the Rednet card is significantly superior to the DVS software. They are saying that it's basically not worth going the Rednet route without the PCI card. I'm just wondering why these claims are made and whether anybody here has actually heard both?

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #3,152 of 3,694
Have you actually heard a system with the Rednet PCI card? I'm not having problems with latency in my system but have read in at least 3 sites without axe to grind that SQ with the Rednet card is significantly superior to the DVS software. They are saying that it's basically not worth going the Rednet route without the PCI card. I'm just wondering why these claims are made and whether anybody here has actually heard both?

These are good questions. When I first started down the Rednet path I read up on that card but found that even the Focusrite site said that one only needed the card when using a very large number of channels. It can handle 128. They implied that sonics were no different from DVS. Of course in an audiophile system that is immensely resolving that might not be the case. At about $1k for the card one would hope for a pretty big improvement.

Regarding Rednet not really being not worth it without the card my experience is way, way contrary. A good network card with Rednet pretty much crushes USB. If you add optic fiber to at least the link to the Rednet device it pushes it up farther. Adding a Mutec USB for reclocking farther yet.

Please provide some links to those axe grinding sites. I am interested as I have heard no feedback from an audiophile yet. I have not heard the card.

BTW. Latency is only an issue if you get to the point of getting dropouts. With GB ethernet and a good switch you should not have issues. Dante does not support wireless in the signal path.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #3,153 of 3,694
As long as we are on the topic of ethernet and fiber connections. Has anyone used a PCIe fiber card for making their ethernet connection? If so what is your setup?

Jul 12, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #3,154 of 3,694
Looks like there are some new Dante interfaces that were announced, including a simple Dante->Digital (AES/Coax/Optical) box (max of 96KHz) for < $400. There's also a small Dante-connected headphone amp and a few others. Take a look at https://www.audinate.com/products/dante-enabled/oem-new-products/rdl?

The SF-ND2 digital interface looks like it's tentatively shipping end of July - Markertek has it listed as selling for $383.

-Mike

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #3,155 of 3,694
Looks like there are some new Dante interfaces that were announced, including a simple Dante->Digital (AES/Coax/Optical) box (max of 96KHz) for < $400. There's also a small Dante-connected headphone amp and a few others. Take a look at https://www.audinate.com/products/dante-enabled/oem-new-products/rdl?

The digital interface looks like it's tentatively shipping end of July - Markertek has it listed as selling for $383.

-Mike

Thanks. Interesting stuff. Looks like we are headed in the right direction. Still hoping for 192K though.

The SF-ND2 uses "power over ethernet" (POE) though so we would need to ether have an ethernet switch that supported it or a POE adapter. There are some POE adapters that will accept DC input and also some simple injectors but it looks like the voltage is 48vdc which would rule out most of the LPSs that we commonly use.

Jul 13, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #3,157 of 3,694

The SF-ND2 digital interface looks like it's tentatively shipping end of July - Markertek has it listed as selling for $383.

-Mike

Only two channels and price goes down; just what some audiophiles have been asking for.

Don't know how difficult it is to do PoE though.

Great info, thanks!

Jul 15, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #3,159 of 3,694
not to ruffle any feathers. I do not understand why this is such a big deal. very high end dacs need none of this and they can connect via 1gbps Ethernet. to be honest I may have missed something in these 300 pages. maybe on a $2,000usd dac yes. if you are going to spend all of this why not get the right $15k-$100k dac? I am currently using my qx-5 twenty upstairs and msb select custom downstairs. I had all of this on the qx-5 twenty. ayre told me just run a straight cardas hs clear cable right to the dac or an aq diamond to Ethernet input and I will be pleased that the sound has actually improved. I finally did so...........and ayre was crrect to my ears! I understand a budget but after you add all this aren't you up to a much beter dac that will hardly if at all benefit from this? it looks like some of you have spent much more on your usb chain than your dac. to me that seems like doing things backwards. that is just me though. I am not telling anyone they are wrong. not at all. I am merely suggesting if you can get a much better dac and you may be astonished at what it does with only a $3,000 usb cable or $5,000 Ethernet cable. I do not mind everyones passion for this I am merely making a suggestion. which, if you are able to implement I think you will find perhaps sounds better than all of this. or you may still want all of this on a $$$ dac. I don't know. personally just as they said I was happier with the sound. then I ripped it all off the $120,000usd msb and was also prompted with a better sound to my ears. this probably is very effective on a $2,000 dac but my point is haven't you then spent the amount of a better dac? if you are still going to do this you might as well just stick with a $2,000 dac. now I am sure someone is doing it with an msb,dcs and finds it to be another level. that is fine with me. I did not come here to insult anyone. just relate my experience. I originally read this when it was 3 pages and thought, great. ran out and bought it all just to later find it actually degraded the sound to me on ultra high end dacs. I mean no offense honestly. everyone is entitled to do exactly as they please in my eyes. there is no right or wrong in audio. if this sounds better to you, then all the more power to you! I honestly mean no harm here. if this all cost less I guess it would be easier for me to swallow. especially when used on a $2,000 dac. which the op I think at the time or still is using like a $500 dac. it does not add up to me that's all and that is just my opinion.i am glad this is changing your lives. I seriously am. I like to see people happy. so go right ahead! what do I know? the most important thing I wish to say is I am not trolling or crashing the party, I am simply inserting my opinion. I honestly wish each and every person in this hobby all the best. no matter how they feel they have achieved it.

I will say one thing on topic. the psa lanrover by psa's own admission and the icron/startech gigabit commonly used may not handshake with the new version of windows. so turn off update or if you got it I would reformat. having your music suddenly cut out will ruin your party I imagine. this is not a bogus post either just call the respective manufacturers. many of these other devices will continue to function as will rednet. I suppose you guy's have moved on from those devices already anyways. if so please disregard.

I am not here to judge, just do what makes you happy. I was just relating my experience. that's all.

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #3,160 of 3,694
Mentioned this on another site but thought I would comment here as well. Just purchased a Schiit Eitr for 2nd system but spent some time with it in my primary system (Rednet D16>Mutec MC3+>Yggy with Antelope liveclock/Cybershaft external clocking). The Eitr did not usurp the tricked out Rednet rig but to be honest it was close. The Eitr is a Monster value. The sound of the Rednet gear sounded a bit more tonally rich and smooth. Eitr seemed a bit more lively.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #3,161 of 3,694
I too look forward to upgrading my Jggy with the Gen-5 board (when the self install option becomes available) so I can do a direct comparison between my version of AOIP and Gen-5 USB.

The indications thus far, indicate they should be close.
It will be interesting to figure what the differences are between these 2 transports.

JJ

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #3,162 of 3,694
Mentioned this on another site but thought I would comment here as well. Just purchased a Schiit Eitr for 2nd system but spent some time with it in my primary system (Rednet D16>Mutec MC3+>Yggy with Antelope liveclock/Cybershaft external clocking). The Eitr did not usurp the tricked out Rednet rig but to be honest it was close. The Eitr is a Monster value. The sound of the Rednet gear sounded a bit more tonally rich and smooth. Eitr seemed a bit more lively.

Oh great! I can put a $125 board in my Yggy and come close to probably over $3000 worth of AOIP and fiber optic gear. Not sure whether to laugh or cry :)

I too will buy the upgrade board just to see...

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #3,163 of 3,694
Oh great! I can put a $125 board in my Yggy and come close to probably over $3000 worth of AOIP and fiber optic gear. Not sure whether to laugh or cry :)

I too will buy the upgrade board just to see...

Life on the bleeding edge of this nutty hobby. Roll with the punches and enjoy the journey...

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #3,164 of 3,694
The good news is that I am already really happy with my system but alas I am an experimenter at heart.

Not sure if I mentioned it here but I have seen a nice boost by using fiber optic for my ethernet links and even got a PCIe SC fiber NIC to replace the Intel NIC in my PC. Very quiet background and more detail...

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #3,165 of 3,694
The good news is that I am already really happy with my system but alas I am an experimenter at heart.

Not sure if I mentioned it here but I have seen a nice boost by using fiber optic for my ethernet links and even got a PCIe SC fiber NIC to replace the Intel NIC in my PC. Very quiet background and more detail...

I concur. Based on an old CA thread I hopped on the fiber optic train about a year and a half ago. Have a fiber optic switch, a bunch of FMC's and a few fiber NIC's. I can relate to having the tinkering gene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back