AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Jun 25, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #3,121 of 3,694
Very comprehensive and in-depth review of everything you need to know about AOIP in this month's 'Sound On Sound':
http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/ethernet-audio

Bummer...

You've only read 10% of this article, so to continue reading...
Option 1: Login to read this article if you have a Digital Subscription or Industry Controlled Circulation account

• To read the full article online (in HTML browser format), please LOG IN at the top of this page.
  • Note: Your Digital subscription does not include downloadable PDF articles free of charge.
Option 2: Buy a Digital sub from our shop

• A Digital sub can be bought from our Shop and used immediately, or contact our Subs staff to discuss an upgrade price to add Digital access to your existing Print subscription.
Option 3: Buy and download this SOS article in Adobe PDF format

• Buy this article now and immediately download the PDF file to your computer.
  • PDF articles look identical to the printed magazine layouts (but exclude advertisements).
  • Note: Some shorter articles don't always have a PDF version.

Jul 8, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #3,124 of 3,694
Is it possible to hook a microphone audio interface to the aes input on the rednet16 so I could have both sound and microphone connected to the computer via a single ethernet cable?

Not without adding another device somehow.

You would need a microphone preamp what included an analogue to digital converter (ADC). The D16 just has an ethernet input.The Rednet 4 offers analogue inputs but now you are out some serious bucks and really into Pro Audio land.

You might be able to use a microphone input of your audio server to channel sound through the software network card out via the ethernet port to the D16.

Jul 9, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #3,125 of 3,694
Anyone considering this?

http://jplay.eu/ml_post_slider/jcat-net-card-femto

JCAT NET Card.PNG

Jul 9, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #3,126 of 3,694

I have move to using fiber to connect to both my D16 and my LAN. This has given me a nice improvement. Fiber provides excellent isolation from ground issues. I have a good Intel NIC currently and fiber using fiber media converters surpasses it easily.

I am now looking for a good PCIe fiber card.

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #3,127 of 3,694
I have no need for that Jcat netcard since I'm using TP-Link Fiber media converters with both modules being powered by batteries instead of the supplied wallwarts.
And I agree that there was an improvement in the SQ.

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #3,128 of 3,694
I have move to using fiber to connect to both my D16 and my LAN. This has given me a nice improvement. Fiber provides excellent isolation from ground issues. I have a good Intel NIC currently and fiber using fiber media converters surpasses it easily.

I am now looking for a good PCIe fiber card.

Yes, I saw your comments over at CA.

I have to agree with you about fiber, but the differences are very, very small (my system). Maybe just a slight bit smoother with fiber, but I'm not sure I could tell the difference if I were blind folded.

I cannot say that connecting fiber to the PC/LAN has made any difference for me at all. I would be totally guessing on that one if blind folded (still have it connected from a couple hours ago).

I will say this for certain. Previously, if I sat near my system with my laptop and connected via RDC to my system, I could hear noise through my speakers as I was using my laptop. This is completely gone now, and for this reason alone, I'll keep the fiber connected to the PC/LAN.

You will still need two FMC's for your LAN and the D16, so for me, it's not worth spending money to just eliminate two more FMC's. Obviously, this is just a personal preference.

With regards to the JCAT Card, and this is just my opinion with my system, as everyone's system reacts to equipment differently. I guess it will come down to what the best differences are (if any).

1. No FMC's, direct connect from PC to D16, and PC to LAN
2. FMC's from PC to D16, and PC to LAN
3. JCAT LAN card only, no FMC's (this would totally eliminate many wires/boxes/LPS).
4. JCAT LAN card w/ Fiber connections.

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #3,129 of 3,694
I have no need for that Jcat netcard since I'm using TP-Link Fiber media converters with both modules being powered by batteries instead of the supplied wallwarts.
And I agree that there was an improvement in the SQ.

I have batteries too, but prefer the LPS simply for the convenience factor. Certainly, batteries didn't sound any better for me.

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #3,130 of 3,694
I don't know if this is marketing or has some truth.

• Ultra-low noise linear regulators and filters eliminate noise interferences from PC
• No switching power supplies anywhere
• FEMTO Clock Technology (Crystek CCHD-957) lowers jitter below measurable levels

So basically, will there be any benefit to running Ethernet from an LPS? And how much of a difference will the Regulators and FEMTO clock make?

I do know this. Using a LPS to power my SATA drive (operation system) has made a noticeable improvement.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #3,131 of 3,694
I have noticed that removing ANY SMPS from the system can make a noticeable change for the better.
They are noisy and can pollute the ground plane which can then spread to other gear.

I even removed one that was just powering a fan and nothing else, and heard a small change for the better.

YMMV

JJ

Jul 9, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #3,132 of 3,694
I have noticed that removing ANY SMPS from the system can make a noticeable change for the better.
They are noisy and can pollute the ground plane which can then spread to other gear.

I even removed one that was just powering a fan and nothing else, and heard a small change for the better.

YMMV

JJ

My PC doesn't have any SMPS, it runs from external 12VDC LPS. However, powering the SATA drive from another separate LPS really improved the sound (SATA drive is used only to run OS, HQPlayer, and Rednet/Dante software - no music is stored on this drive). I had the OS and other apps running from the MSATA connection and it wasn't anywhere near as good.
This is why I think running Ethernet from it's own LPS should be just as effective, or maybe not.

This little fanless embedded computer with external LPS is knocking the crap out of my fully loaded 'dedicated to audio' Intel 6700K system.

Jetway 323.PNG

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #3,133 of 3,694
Who makes that fan-less cpu?
JJ

Jul 9, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #3,134 of 3,694
Who makes that fan-less cpu?
JJ
http://www.mitxpc.com/proddetail.php?prod=JBC323U591W-3160-B

If I had to do it over, I would probably look for something similar but with full pcie slot and 2 sata connectors. This one doesn't have full pcie, and there's only 1 sata (has msata though). I prefer to have my music files locally, so 1 sata for OP, and 1 for music files. Full pcie slot will allow for add-on's (ie. network cards). DFI has the BW171. As it is now, I wouldn't think of running my music server with anything else than one of these embedded solutions - major step up. The SATA II drive I'm using is 64GB SLC (Intel), this has a lot to do with the quality ($70 for used, but they sold out after I got mine - was going to buy another one). http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-INTEL-S...927095&hash=item1a28541c80:g:Q9oAAOSwuLZY1JdZ

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #3,135 of 3,694
So how big is your s/w load on your boot drive?
And which OS are you running?

Musicboy has a NµC running winblows that runs his standalone and dedicated music system feeding into his AOIP that feeds his Theta DAC.
The single biggest component is the display with his NµC stuck on the back.

Very tidy and even transportable enough to bring to meets.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back