Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Feb 23, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #3,616 of 4,451
hehe you sum it rightly.

It takes me some times to get used to the new sound of v7. It's strange to notice that before hearing it, i was not with the idea my setup can be bloated but damn it was. I also noticed this "little more in the upper range" but it was because i was not used to. In my experience, it's more a natural and clean rendition with the v7 and i can crank the volume upper than before (for me that's always a good sign :)). As you said "resolution, soundstaging and bass definition are concerned".

About the Singularity, it seems that even a good DDC like the Singxer Su1 must benefit from higher processing and shorter signal path. It's definitively the weak point here because the processing of the Singxer must be quite high for the older design. I think we should make the try when it's available :) About the solderiing there is not that much wiring (14 wires but I'll probably found a tech somewhere to do it) !

On a side note; Kingwa said they have finished the design of a new FPGA DDC but are quite busy now so no announcement yet !

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #3,617 of 4,451
When offered I will upgrade my older M7 with a new input/ DSP board.  I am skilled at soldering plus but de-soldering tools as well which makes the job easier.  So I am ready. 

I am finding the best sound with the M7 Singularity is with HDMI I2S.   There is something special about the "high exact" mode on the I2S inputs that gives it a little something extra versus Amarero USB.  I had no issues with HDMI I2S since I stopped fiddling with cables and switching inputs.  But like Kingwa stated your I2S source must be up-to-par to have success with "high exact" mode.  

And "high exact" mode has to be programmed at the factory on order.   So specify which inputs are I2S.  They can probably be reprogrammed in the field but you will need another programming header device for Xilinx parts if it is the input chips that get reprogrammed.  The same Altera programmer should work for the new, faster DSP FPGA.  Plus I never want to awake at 3am for another TeamViewer session. 

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #3,618 of 4,451
hehe you sum it rightly.

It takes me some times to get used to the new sound of v7. It's strange to notice that before hearing it, i was not with the idea my setup can be bloated but damn it was. I also noticed this "little more in the upper range" but it was because i was not used to. In my experience, it's more a natural and clean rendition with the v7 and i can crank the volume upper than before (for me that's always a good sign :)). As you said "resolution, soundstaging and bass definition are concerned".

About the Singularity, it seems that even a good DDC like the Singxer Su1 must benefit from higher processing and shorter signal path. It's definitively the weak point here because the processing of the Singxer must be quite high for the older design. I think we should make the try when it's available :) About the solderiing there is not that much wiring (14 wires but I'll probably found a tech somewhere to do it) !

On a side note; Kingwa said they have finished the design of a new FPGA DDC but are quite busy now so no announcement yet !

Kingwa is on fire.

Like you, i am sure the new design will help my excellent DDC and the sound will be even better. There is not much to improve on, but whatever i can extract, i will, like any audiophile would do. With jitter reduction, you get an objective/measurable improvment and you can build around it. Same impact as with your good old turntable. Better bass is always to expect.

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #3,619 of 4,451
When offered I will upgrade my older M7 with a new input/ DSP board.  I am skilled at soldering plus but de-soldering tools as well which makes the job easier.  So I am ready. 

I am finding the best sound with the M7 Singularity is with HDMI I2S.   There is something special about the "high exact" mode on the I2S inputs that gives it a little something extra versus Amarero USB.  I had no issues with HDMI I2S since I stopped fiddling with cables and switching inputs.  But like Kingwa stated your I2S source must be up-to-par to have success with "high exact" mode.  

And "high exact" mode has to be programmed at the factory on order.   So specify which inputs are I2S.  They can probably be reprogrammed in the field but you will need another programming header device for Xilinx parts if it is the input chips that get reprogrammed.  The same Altera programmer should work for the new, faster DSP FPGA.  Plus I never want to awake at 3am for another TeamViewer session. 

That is great for those that do not own an external DDC. As you described it, the sound is excellent without it, is it? How much of a difference are you talking?

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #3,620 of 4,451
My Nos7 sent back ,have some small issue.Want upgrade the dsp.
Audio gd answer:NO,Can not,not possible.I need buy new one.
So???

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #3,621 of 4,451
So???

Buy Holo Spring :p
Just kidding but I don't think M7 Singularity is much better than your NOS7 in case you use I2S.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #3,622 of 4,451
That is great for those that do not own an external DDC. As you described it, the sound is excellent without it, is it? How much of a difference are you talkinG.

With the Singularity slight but noticeable improvement in imaging and soundstage using HDMI I2S versus the Amanero input.   Basic sound quality is about the same.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #3,623 of 4,451
So???

Is it because the NOS analog boards are incompatible?   I believe there is a -6dB filter applied on NOS analog boards versus the regular Master 7. 

The DSP board upgrade may just be incompatible with either version of the M7.  Or could be a support nightmare Kingwa would like to avoid. 

And you may not like the sound of the Singularity in comparison to the NOS.  The Singularity with abundant highs and detail is probably the antithesis of warm NOS voice.

Mar 8, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #3,628 of 4,451
  thanks for ur answer
I mean kingwa use ofc copper in default accs interconnections
Am I right?
I can buy mini xlr and occ wire to build a diy cable

Kingwa used to use Canare cable, and probably still is for the cheapest options, which i think is OFC. For the price, they are great but there is better. It does make a significant difference to upgrade IMO.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #3,629 of 4,451
  thanks for ur answer
Am I right?

The best OCC i found was at plussound but they don't supply it anymore for DIY. There seems to be nice OCC litz on ebay, I have ordered some but cannot comment on it until i try it.  The one from norneaudio is not bad at all. It is quite difficult to solder, given the size of the connectors. You need something to secure the wire on the connector before sodering. That's best.

Mar 9, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #3,630 of 4,451
  thanks for ur answer
Am I right?

If you read up on Krell CAST (ACCS is identical) its main objective is to minimize the effect of cables.  But, in my experience, you should use the best wire you can afford.  The current domain signal transfer is very small and the swings from low to high volume tiny.  And if you roll your own wire diameter it has to be very small as the mini-XLR connectors are extremely difficult to work.  I used Furutech mini-XLRs and Parts Connexion silver core wire and had to drill the Furotech opening of the screw-on case to accommodate the cable size with 23 awg wires.  It was extremely frustrating to say the least.

Finding the right size wire would have made my DYI experience easier.

http://www.audiolab.com/krell-cast-mmf-interconnect-cable/  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back