Audeze LCD-4
Jun 4, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #5,866 of 11,994
The Yggdrasil + Milo is an absolutely phenomenal combination with the LCD4! :o2smile:

9869446.jpg
Viper.. what are you using for interconnects and power cables? This is my exact setup.

Jun 5, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #5,867 of 11,994
I use cables from blue jeans cable for interconnects, and 14 ga power cables from monoprice. The LCD4 cable is from q-cables. I don't believe in the really fancy stuff.

Jun 10, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #5,870 of 11,994
with all due respect who cares?I always liked my LCD-4 more than my Utopia before the kerfuffle and i still do now

Jun 10, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #5,871 of 11,994
with all due respect who cares?I always liked my LCD-4 more than my Utopia before the kerfuffle and i still do now
Just tested susvara interested in what you and the hero think of it against the utopia lcd4. I checked it out versus he6 and he 1 and certainly its tops.

Jun 10, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #5,872 of 11,994
with all due respect who cares?
Perceived value among consumers. It's good for the owner's wallet in the event of needing/wanting to resell the headphones. No other artificial benefits of being on the WoF.

I mean — he trashed the MDR-Z1R. I'm glad I don't own one. Probably see the resale value drop or interest sway towards some other hp model. Tyll's influence may as well be on par with Jude's in the community.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #5,873 of 11,994
Jun 10, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #5,875 of 11,994
I feel like Tyll's reviews are VERY inconsistent.

1. HD800S got to the "WoF". Beginning of the video said "We are going to talk about what i would consider, the world's best headphone and how it's evolved"
2. Came LCD-4 that HD800S beat because lack of 4-8khz region
3 Utopia Came that basically dropped HD800S from there because "too thin and analytical"
4. Now we found out that Utopias was defect and LCD-4 is superior (depending on what pair you listen to)

And finally. We have Soonoma Acoustics Model one on the WoF. Which gets _butt ton_ of distortion when the volume is cranked up.

So yeaaaah..... I do read Tyll's reviews. But i take it with big bucket of salt

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #5,876 of 11,994
Better than HE-1?

i liked it much better. A jazz vocal recording just popped compared to the 1. Now they were all good but yes I'm effectively ruined now, susvara if it was a hifi man choice.

Jun 12, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #5,877 of 11,994
I feel like Tyll's reviews are VERY inconsistent.

1. HD800S got to the "WoF". Beginning of the video said "We are going to talk about what i would consider, the world's best headphone and how it's evolved"
2. Came LCD-4 that HD800S beat because lack of 4-8khz region
3 Utopia Came that basically dropped HD800S from there because "too thin and analytical"
4. Now we found out that Utopias was defect and LCD-4 is superior (depending on what pair you listen to)

And finally. We have Soonoma Acoustics Model one on the WoF. Which gets _butt ton_ of distortion when the volume is cranked up.

So yeaaaah..... I do read Tyll's reviews. But i take it with big bucket of salt

This pretty much sums it up. Just thought i would post the link because its relevant. I have heard the Utopia vs. LCD-4 and I don't regret owning the LCD-4 over the Utopia at all. Different strokes for different folks is what it comes down too.

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #5,878 of 11,994
I mean — he trashed the MDR-Z1R. I'm glad I don't own one. Probably see the resale value drop or interest sway towards some other hp model..

you should definitely be glad you don't own a Sony Z1R and it has nothing to do with resale value. has everything to do with the fact that it actually sucks worse than what Tyll described. by far the worst performance:cost ratio i've ever experienced. not just for headphones but for consumer purchases of any type. i.e. even if it cost $400 i'd still be a tad disappointed.

Jun 19, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #5,879 of 11,994
Well after a little over 4 months with the LCD-2f and a Fiio A5, and lots of reading on head-fi, took the plunge and upgraded to the LCD-4. I listened to almost everything higher end available at NYC CanJam (Utopia, HifiMan, Stax, Abyss, Sony, LCD-X, LCD-3, and I own Grado RS-2) and did A/B testing with music I know well against my LCD-2f. Whenever possible (and most of the vendors were exceptionally accommodating) I listened to recordings of classical pieces I've heard live using my iPhone 6s running Spotify Premium (have since switched to Tidal; thank you head-fi) and the LCD-4 just sounded the most accurate. I only listen to my headphones on the road so I paired them with iFi micro idsd black and, from memory, suspect I'm getting about 80% of what I heard the LCD-4 give me through the highest-end Schitt at CanJam (probably the Ragnarok; sorry didn't take notes. Maybe someone who attended the show remembers?).

Adorama's salesguy, Alex, ordered the LCD-4 from the warehouse just so I could A/B test them against my LCD-2f and Fiio setup. Through the Fiio I could not really justify the purchase because the perceived differences were so slight. So Alex brought me the ifi and then it was night and day. The LCD-2f also sounded better through the ifi, though I didn't spend too much time identifying the actual benefits since by that point I'd already decided. The A5 seemed maybe to be running out of gas on more complex passages. By the way, I thing the A5 is an excellent amp for its size and greatly improved my LCD-2f over the 6s. I bought the amp after auditioning Fiio at CanJam. I did try the Dragonfly Red before the Fiio and it just wasn't enough for the LCD-2f.

In general, I'd stopped listening to large orchestra classical pieces on headphones or rather I never did. I found the sound offensive to my memory of the pieces but today I spent the day with Neville Mariner's excellent Mozart Requiem and loved it. As I've intimated, I audition equipment with classical pieces I've heard live but the LCD-4 makes every song I'm familiar with sound better (to the limits of the recording). Even my guiltiest pleasure, Selena Gomez, sounds like she has some range beyond the production magic on her Bad Liar.

Mind you, I'm only using the ifi as an amp (I'm trying to keep things simple) so I don't know what it sounds like through the dac. Maybe someone can comment on whether the iphone 6s dac measures significantly flawed.

Now, if only ifi came up with an amp only slimmer, more powerful amp, I'd be fully realized hobbyist.

By the way, for those who haven't heard it the Shure 1540 challenge the LCD2f at half the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back