Amy Winehouse, Back to Black. Is it supposed to sound like crap?
Aug 10, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #16 of 35
Yeah at first I thought it was my mp3 copy but even on flac the distortion is toooo obvious. I've only heard it on one set up that it doesnt distort too badly.

Aug 10, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only heard it on one set up that it doesnt distort too badly.

Stock car speakers?
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #18 of 35
I guess I'm not audiophile oriented enough (I'm probably more mid-fi than anything else), but I haven't really noticed the low sound quality. I actually kinda like that it sounds like it might have been recorded in the 60's. At least it's not super compressed and shined up like most modern pop recordings.

Aug 13, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #19 of 35
Hi

Is the distortion a problem on american release because i have not heard anything like that on my one.
Sure the record is quite dark but i like the style. Allready too much ear piercing bright records nowadays. So a happy Amy Winehouse fan here.

Aug 13, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amy was a guest on the DVD The Strat Pack, a tribute to the 50th anniversary of the Fender Stratocaster. I had a hard time liking her, but I'll have to check out some of her recordings. What would be a good 'intro'?

Go and buy "Frank". It's a much much MUCH better record. The recording quality is better, and the music as well. I feel that Amy Winehouse's work is suffering from her being a horrendous drunk, and she really should go back to just making great little records like this...

Sep 10, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #23 of 35
So were you Brits in this thread confirming that your domestic CD release of Back to Black is terrible as well?

I have ordered the UK LP and hope that it's better (plus, it has 'Addicted' on it where the US CD release does not...).

Sep 10, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #24 of 35
I don't know if buying the LP would solve the problem, because I'm pretty sure it was produced to sound like a 50's recording, meaning all those artifacts and distortions were done on purpose.

Sep 11, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #27 of 35
I saw that there was a [Clean] version for sale on Amazon and for a second I thought it meant clean recording...

Sep 11, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoomin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did read somewhere recently that the British LP was *much, much* better - here's hoping that there's some truth in that.

I can only listen to the U.S. CD it in my car...

That would be interesting if it's indeed true, let me know if that's the case...

Sep 11, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #29 of 35
I'm not really sure that bad recordings as this would sound better on mediocre gear. Take "Morphine - Cure for pain" for exemple. The soundquality is one of the absolute best I've ever heard, and it sound just as stunning on ksc75 as with my other gear. When listening to this album with my ksc75, I nearly regret buying better equipment as it already sounds so good.

A clean voice and a pristin record will always sound excellent even on low-fi gear.

I do think that overly airy and bass light records might sound thin on low-fi though.

Sep 18, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #30 of 35
After one listen, I am afraid to say my $15 was wasted - the LP is just as bad as the CD.

But it does have "Addicted" on it - a good song.

What were the sound engineers thinking?

I have to think that it must have been designed that way, cause nobody in the profession would have mistakenly released an album sounding that bad.

I don't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back