Amp/Dac up to $ 400.
Jul 19, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #31 of 57
Worth mentioning that any of the dac/amps listed here would more than likely serve you just fine. None of them are objectively better than the others which is why multiple different people have chimed supporting all of them multiple times.

If there's a feature that one has that you can see yourself using, go for that one! You're not going to be missing out on some huge sound difference by picking a Mojo over a iDSD Micro Black Label (both of which are out of your price range unless you buy used or wait for a sale anyways!) or vice versa.

In fact, there's a multiple page thread over in the portable amp section full of people saying they can't tell the difference between their chord mojo and their iPhone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Should be easy to tell the difference between them as the Mojo is much warmer than the BL.

Jul 19, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #32 of 57
None of them are objectively better than the others

I'd recommend researching Chord. It is objectively better, in so many ways. Zero noise floor modulation (which no other DAC manufacturer can claim, as far as I know), output impedance and distortion lower than seemingly anything else, the ability to drive headphones (more or less) directly from the DAC's analog output (separate amp sections and external amps are far more colored), superior reproduction of transients (thanks to advanced digital filtering with unprecedented tap lengths)...and so much more.

Now, as you've alluded to, some people don't hear a difference...but many more (including myself) do.

Jul 19, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #33 of 57
Agree with you on most of it but the Mojo is a warm amp. I don't care what measurements say it is warm sounding not good for the 6xx's. Fine with the 700 and 800's but not my choice for 650's

Jul 19, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #35 of 57
I'd recommend researching Chord. It is objectively better, in so many ways. Zero noise floor modulation (which no other DAC manufacturer can claim, as far as I know), output impedance and distortion lower than seemingly anything else, the ability to drive headphones (more or less) directly from the DAC's analog output (separate amp sections and external amps are far more colored), superior reproduction of transients (thanks to advanced digital filtering with unprecedented tap lengths)...and so much more.

Now, as you've alluded to, some people don't hear a difference...but many more (including myself) do.

Right. Yet there posts and reviews all over the internet of people who prefer the sound of one over the other.

All of the measurements in the world can't change the fact that sound preference is, at some level, subjective. All of the units mentioned in this thread have people who prefer them for various reasons.

To echo what another poster said, it's not particularly helpful to speak in absolutes once you reach a certain level. I was simply trying to let the OP know that the sound quality of everything mentioned here was going to be great and to also consider the features of the dac/amp when making their decision.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #36 of 57
Agree with you on most of it but the Mojo is a warm amp. I don't care what measurements say it is warm sounding not good for the 6xx's. Fine with the 700 and 800's but not my choice for 650's

The amplification (six parallel transistors) in the Mojo is in the DAC's analog output stage and is akin to listening to the direct output of the DAC. It is far less colored than external amps, and this is not a matter of opinion. The warmth comes from the design of the DAC, but it's not due to being colored; it's due to being more accurate. (For example, getting rid of noise floor modulation makes the sound warmer even though the measured frequency response is a flat line. You can look up Rob Watts' posts about it.)

I liked the HD 600 on the Mojo. I don't like the HD 800 much no matter what it's paired with, though. (And although I owned the HD 650 and HD 700, I never used them with the Mojo.)

Right. Yet there posts and reviews all over the internet of people who prefer the sound of one over the other.

All of the measurements in the world can't change the fact that sound preference is, at some level, subjective. All of the units mentioned in this thread have people who prefer them for various reasons.

To echo what another poster said, it's not particularly helpful to speak in absolutes once you reach a certain level.

I never denied that subjective preference is separate from objective performance. That's why I said objectively better; not necessarily subjectively better.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #37 of 57
I never denied that subjective preference is separate from objective performance. That's why I said objectively better; not necessarily subjectively better.

Fair enough.

Again, only reason I chimed in was to mention that all of the dac/amps mentioned are fantastic and that the OP should also consider their various features as well because the sound is going to be good regardless.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #38 of 57
And does the Hifiman HE-560 with JDS Labs Element work well ?

As others have said, your own preference for sound, and the paired headphones will play a large part in determining what's right for you. Some people will recommend pairing warm headphones with neutral amps for balance, I would fall into that category.
You'll often find people swear up and down that one product is the next sliced bride. Sometimes they are right, sometimes its snake oil, and a lot of the time, it's somewhere between the two. I know there's a lot of hype around the Mojo, and it sounds good for its price. But it's not a transformative experience, by far. Nevermind the design principals, it's about how it sounds to YOUR ears.
It's a shame you don't have the ability to test these. Are there any audio shops or canjams or audio shows coming to your area? You can really increase your exposure to these products with even a single day's attendance.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #41 of 57
As others have said, your own preference for sound, and the paired headphones will play a large part in determining what's right for you. Some people will recommend pairing warm headphones with neutral amps for balance, I would fall into that category.
You'll often find people swear up and down that one product is the next sliced bride. Sometimes they are right, sometimes its snake oil, and a lot of the time, it's somewhere between the two. I know there's a lot of hype around the Mojo, and it sounds good for its price. But it's not a transformative experience, by far. Nevermind the design principals, it's about how it sounds to YOUR ears.
It's a shame you don't have the ability to test these. Are there any audio shops or canjams or audio shows coming to your area? You can really increase your exposure to these products with even a single day's attendance.

I think the main thing depends on the kind of music you like. I also think that a lot of people expect higher-fidelity to mean "brighter". With the Mojo, they don't have an immediate "wow" factor, but with good acoustic music, after a week or two of listening, your brain will suddenly click and you'll get why people are wowed by them. It's much more obvious with the Hugo 2 or Dave because of the sheer amount of ultra-fine detail they resolve that other DACs cannot reproduce. They satisfy the objective crowd too, because they are designed to perform genuinely, and measurably excellent.

One thing to consider is that these products, and very often the companies that make them, wouldn't be around if it weren't for Head-Fi. So we have to appreciate that we not only have excellent "hi-fi" gear at reasonably affordable prices, but we also have a lot of choice.

Jul 19, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #42 of 57
I think the main thing depends on the kind of music you like. I also think that a lot of people expect higher-fidelity to mean "brighter". With the Mojo, they don't have an immediate "wow" factor, but with good acoustic music, after a week or two of listening, your brain will suddenly click and you'll get why people are wowed by them. It's much more obvious with the Hugo 2 or Dave because of the sheer amount of ultra-fine detail they resolve that other DACs cannot reproduce. They satisfy the objective crowd too, because they are designed to perform genuinely, and measurably excellent.

One thing to consider is that these products, and very often the companies that make them, wouldn't be around if it weren't for Head-Fi. So we have to appreciate that we not only have excellent "hi-fi" gear at reasonably affordable prices, but we also have a lot of choice.

With weeks of listening, though, don't you also run the risk of mistaking the sound "clicking" with "brain burn-in"?

Edit to add: Also, totally true. Musical genres will affect the headphones and amp pairings. Spot on.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #43 of 57
Why are people recommending a $600 dac/amp when the OP asked for up to $400? The Chord Mojo (jojo) is out of that $400 range. It is a very nice dac/amp (one of the best in terms of performance), but it has a very strange and not so user friendly interface. Many think it's a bit over priced, but that is neither here nor there.

There are plenty of decent DAC/Amp combos up to the $400 range as well. Most from Schiit, which I have the Modi 2 uber + Magni 2 Uber, sound fantastic and can drive any headphone out there for under $400. I also have now a Fiio E10K and FX Audio DAC-X6 and they are nice as well for the el cheapo :)

I haven't tried enough to recommend other potential sub $400 combos beyond that though.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #44 of 57
Why are people recommending a $600 dac/amp when the OP asked for up to $400? The Chord Mojo (jojo) is out of that $400 range.

The Mojo was only mentioned because it can be purchased used for $400 or less, in case the OP was willing to buy used. However, it was indicated that due to import taxes and the like, it would still cost too much. I did mention a cheaper alternative.

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #45 of 57
Why are people recommending a $600 dac/amp when the OP asked for up to $400? The Chord Mojo (jojo) is out of that $400 range. It is a very nice dac/amp (one of the best in terms of performance), but it has a very strange and not so user friendly interface. Many thing it's a bit over priced, but that is neither here nor there.

There are plenty of decent DAC/Amp combos up to the $400 range as well. As much most from Schiit, which I have the Modi 2 uber + Magni 2 Uber, sound fantastic and can drive any headphone out there. I also have now a Fiio E10K and FX Audio DAC-X6 and they are nice as well for the el cheapo :)

I haven't tried enough to recommend other potential sub $400 combos beyond that though.

As Music Alchemist said, if used is on the table, it'd be a strong contender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back