Amp/dac for disappointed HD800 owner
Nov 6, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #226 of 239
  Read my previous posts on this page if you haven't already.

I have read your posts, which is why my interest was peaked. I wish I did have the time for a DIY amp project, but spare time is hard to make as I juggle family and scientific research. I would also love to listen to the potential difference before I even take on a project. Do you know anyone willing to loan out (we can work on creating some type of escrow account, with payment for the rental period) a customized amp? Sometimes us audiophiles let our imaginations get the best of us.

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #227 of 239
At some point in your life you have to try it.
If you live close to CT I'd let you come over and try it.
Also the regional headfi meet in stanford CT is in 8 days.

Many people that do DIY do it a little bit at a time. It doesn't have to be all at once.

Like I said earlier I'm working on a easy to follow step-by-step guide to build the amp I currently have from scratch.
It's really quite simple to do.
It will be a few weeks before I'm done maximizing the potential of my amp, then I need to scrounge up some cash to buy some terminal boards and fresh components for the guide.
I'd say realistically it will be the beginning of next year by the time it's ready.

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #228 of 239
I was actually thinking to upgrade to the multibit since I already have the uber. In that case as well, I have heard mixed opinions on multibit, as well as hearing nothing on how it pairs with an HD800.

I had the Bifrost Uber Miltibit with my HD800 and Taurus Mk.2 amp, really enjoyed the combination. Added depth, better imiging and dynamic to my unmixed Bifrost. The advise on the Valhalla 2 is solid.

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #229 of 239
Exactly. You can't go wrong with the Bifrost Multibit and Valhalla 2. Budget price for each component for top performance. Won't even need a cable change or dampening mod. Then again, you might decide to mod it to taste later.

For a portable or transportable setup, I recommend GO V2 Infinity or Concero HP.

Nov 10, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #231 of 239
Hello everyone,

I currently have a AKG K701 and I plan to buy a HD800 soon, however I'm not sure my settup is good enouth to enjoy the qualities of the HD800. I have a cambridge dacmagic + heed canamp settup.

How will HD800 perform with these ? Is it wise to buy the HD800 with this settup ? Knowing that I won't be able to afford a 1000$+ dac/amp to pair with the HD800 for a while.. I tried the HD700 but I'd like to get the best headphones I can first, then upgrade the other stuff over time.

Thank you.

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #232 of 239
  Hello everyone,

I currently have a AKG K701 and I plan to buy a HD800 soon, however I'm not sure my settup is good enouth to enjoy the qualities of the HD800. I have a cambridge dacmagic + heed canamp settup.

How will HD800 perform with these ? Is it wise to buy the HD800 with this settup ? Knowing that I won't be able to afford a 1000$+ dac/amp to pair with the HD800 for a while.. I tried the HD700 but I'd like to get the best headphones I can first, then upgrade the other stuff over time.

Thank you.

I hear the HD800 sounds 95% identical to the AKG 7xx series with low-fi amps.
I doubt you'll get a big improvement.
You pretty much need a $1,000+ amp to get anywhere with the HD800. Otherwise it doesn't sound a leap better than headphones you can get for $200 or $300.

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #233 of 239
I hear the HD800 sounds 95% identical to the AKG 7xx series with low-fi amps.
I doubt you'll get a big improvement.
You pretty much need a $1,000+ amp to get anywhere with the HD800. Otherwise it doesn't sound a leap better than headphones you can get for $200 or $300.

This is absolutely false.

No matter the source, let it be a HTC One M8, 3.5mm out of Surface Pro 3, or a great matching Valhalla2 or Bottlehead Crack, HD800 maintains all its characteristics, such as tight, extended bass (but low quantity/no bloat), detailed, accurate mids (albeit a bit dry) and simply unrivalled treble clarity and micro details (though a spike at 6KHz makes it unpleasant to listen to for a very long period of time in stock form).

It will always sound like an HD800, and definitely better than anything from the K7XX series. There is undeniable similarities between the sound signature of the HD800 and the K7XX series of headphones, but the different is noticeable at first listen. HD800 is noticeably the superior product.

You do not need $1000+ amps to make HD800 sound good. A Bottlehead Crack, Valhalla 2, or Torpedo amp will do just fine. It does need an amp that can deliver good power at 300-600 ohms (HD800 has a large impedance swing) and good voltage, but it does not need a very expensive amp.

Also another factor to keep in mind is product variation. I've owned 3 HD800 in the last five years and they all sounded exactly the same. The driver matching at Sennheiser Germany factory is scary good. No other brand or headphones will get you that.

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #234 of 239
Thank you both for your replies.

No matter the source, let it be a HTC One M8, 3.5mm out of Surface Pro 3, or a great matching Valhalla2 or Bottlehead Crack, HD800 maintains all its characteristics, such as tight, extended bass (but low quantity/no bloat), detailed, accurate mids (albeit a bit dry) and simply unrivalled treble clarity and micro details (though a spike at 6KHz makes it unpleasant to listen to for a very long period of time in stock form).

It will always sound like an HD800, and definitely better than anything from the K7XX series. There is undeniable similarities between the sound signature of the HD800 and the K7XX series of headphones, but the different is noticeable at first listen. HD800 is noticeably the superior product.

You do not need $1000+ amps to make HD800 sound good. A Bottlehead Crack, Valhalla 2, or Torpedo amp will do just fine. It does need an amp that can deliver good power at 300-600 ohms (HD800 has a large impedance swing) and good voltage, but it does not need a very expensive amp.

Also another factor to keep in mind is product variation. I've owned 3 HD800 in the last five years and they all sounded exactly the same. The driver matching at Sennheiser Germany factory is scary good. No other brand or headphones will get you that.

That's very sweet to hear. I knew the sound signatures of K701/HD800 had a lot in common but I was worried my settup wouldn't be good enouth to make a notable difference. On another forum I've been told the cambridge audio dacmagic is okay for the HD800 but the canamp isn't the best fit at that price range. Overall I see a lot of people praising the valhalla 2 just like you, it is cheap enouth for my wallet and it sounds like the way to go for me next.

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #236 of 239

I wondering how Hd800 Can sound With Beyerdynamic A20 Amp... I read one review and writer said that it sound Great with T1 and HD800. Somebody heard that pairing?

Nov 12, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #237 of 239
The NAD D1050 is good for smoothing out harsh treble, maybe try that, I am happy with mine. Maybe combine with a tube amp like the Schiit Lyr.

NAD D1050 + Schiit lyr + smooth tubes = very smooth amp / dac combo.

May 18, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #239 of 239
Who's pairing this with iDSD BL?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back