Amarra - anyone using it?
Aug 20, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #766 of 920

I know this sounds like marketing for Roon but I have been totally converted and am now considering a lifetime sub.

I posted a glowing comment about the sound of Amarra for Tidal earlier in this thread... having played with Roon for the past couple weeks, I went ahead purchased a lifetime sub for that.

I'm not sure what Amarra is doing, but there is something about the sound that makes the stage seem larger, almost like a surround-sound DSP of some sort, and it does seem to sweeten the sound... like the difference between using the IIR vs. Apodizing filter on my Concero HP.  OTOH, Roon seems to have better dynamics/detail.  Depending on my mood I can see preferring Amarra, but the interface is just so terrible that I have trouble supporting the company.  Roon is such a joy to use.

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #767 of 920

Well you can still use Roon with Amarra sQ+ and get the Amarra sound quality.  While Roon on it's own sounds a little more dynamic since I can set it to exclusive integer mode, when I use thru sQ+, it sweetens the sound and add more depth.

I tried to use Amarra for Tidal again and the interface is just terrible.  It takes away from any sound improvements.  But in this review, it states a "web-based overhaul is slated to arrive in a month or two; something our man from California promises will be “prettier and faster”.  So if and when this release comes out, I'll try it again.  I don't think it will ever be as good as the Roon interface but if it could be like the native Tidal app, I'd be happy.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/07/amarra-for-tidal-a-better-streaming-sound-for-os-x-windows/

Edit: Not sure if something is wrong but the current version Amarra sQ+ sound terrible.  I just tried sQ+ and soundstage is all compressed.  So hold off on current sQ+ version until next update.  I believe you can still download the regular sQ one. I have a free copy of just sQ from being a Amarra owner and it sounds great.

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #769 of 920
Amarra 4 is finally out! Wondering if anyone had a chance to try it?

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #770 of 920
  Amarra 4 is finally out! Wondering if anyone had a chance to try it?

I tried Amarra 3 and Amarra 4. I didn't really like either version. The UI sucked on both and my music sounds better with other apps. I've been trying several audio apps on my Mac and I keep coming back to Audirvana Plus as the best choice for me. In fact, after trying Amarra 4, I pulled the trigger and bought Audirvana Plus.

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #771 of 920

I tried Amarra 3 and Amarra 4. I didn't really like either version. The UI sucked on both and my music sounds better with other apps. I've been trying several audio apps on my Mac and I keep coming back to Audirvana Plus as the best choice for me. In fact, after trying Amarra 4, I pulled the trigger and bought Audirvana Plus.

Audirvana is definitely a great all-rounder in terms of SQ, convenience and format support.

Still, I mainly use Amarra 2.6 due to its smooth, analog-like sound (version 3 is more analytical to my ears, although it's very subjective).

Some testimonials say that Audirvana 2 has better SQ than 1.5, but I still had not tried to upgrade.

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #772 of 920

Audirvana is definitely a great all-rounder in terms of SQ, convenience and format support.

Still, I mainly use Amarra 2.6 due to its smooth, analog-like sound (version 3 is more analytical to my ears, although it's very subjective).

Some testimonials say that Audirvana 2 has better SQ than 1.5, but I still had not tried to upgrade.

I didn't do a lot of critical listening. But I did enough to know that Audirvana Plus 2.6.5 sound noticeably better than either version of Amarra. Most of my music is CD-based audio and most of that is bought or ripped at 256 kbps VBR. With both headphones and speakers the sound was more full and realistic.

Audirvana is able to bypass Apple's core sound routines allowing to talk to the DAC more directly. My DAC supports "Integer" mode and I Audirvana supports that too. I setup Audirvana to upsample the music to a format my DAT would accept without upsampling. I am still playing with that as my DAC may do a better job of upsampling. I am using no software to alter the signal. No EQ or anything like that. Just the standard settings.

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #773 of 920
I guess it's time for me to try the latest version of Audirvana. BTW, V3 is expected soon according to the website.

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #774 of 920
It's supposed to drop today...we'll see.

I should add that I really wanted to like something else. I would prefer software with more engineers behind it. As best as I can tell, Audirvana is a one man show.

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #775 of 920
For me, it's a only a ten-buck upgrade that includes a free upgrade to Amarra 4 Deluxe, when it's released. So, I'm using it, needless to say. So far, I don't see any particular improvement, other than that, now, the art-work always appears, but it's almost too tiny to see.

My conclusion thus far is that this is clearly meant to replace minor-league apps like Hi-Fi, S, S+, and Tidal and not the _real_ Amarra and *surely* not Amarra Symphony!

But, what do you expect for a sawbuck? I can't complain.

Why not take advantage of the fifteen-day free trial and decide for yourself?

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #776 of 920
Just importing my 11,000 albums now into Amarra 4. I did get to play with it at RMAF and loved the GUI and quick interface. Should be ready to use by the time I head off to bed. 
frown.gif

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #777 of 920
Compared to Amarra 3, I do find Amarra 4 slightly more cleaner and detailed....and dare to say the soundstage wider. But this maybe all just placebo affect. 
I do like that I can just use Amarra independent of iTunes. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #778 of 920
  Compared to Amarra 3, I do find Amarra 4 slightly more cleaner and detailed....and dare to say the soundstage wider. But this maybe all just placebo affect. 
I do like that I can just use Amarra independent of iTunes. 

The GUI and responsiveness is miles and miles better!

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #780 of 920
  Anyone know if Amarra 4 supports gapless playback?

Yes, it should: http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/videos_gapless_playback.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back