AKG Q701 Vs. AKG K702 | Comparison & Review
Dec 28, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #393 of 427
Greetings guys.
I'm going to deciding if I buy akg k702 or the q701. I'm using the o2 amp.
Main purpose will be gaming with mixamp. Any advise?

I have the K702s, haven't heard the Q701. But my advice is break them in--run them with some full range music for a long time, maybe 100 hours,l and you will get deeper, richer bass. I used a pipe organ CD for this purpose, with the play set to repeat and the player+phones in a room by themselves so I didn't have to listen to the same CD 100 times in a row :)

I know that some people claim that break-in with these phones makes no audible difference, while others found a significant improvement in the bass. Basically, you have nothing to lose by doing the break-in, it's free, and it won't harm anything.

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #395 of 427
Both are crap. 
Both exhibit the same default : poor solding on internal cable causes no sound on right side (could be also left side).
AKG Q701 has this default.
AKG K701 has this default.
Amazon website consumers are complaining about it.
I made a fuss with Amazon. Their reply : we don't sell Q701 anymore. Of course, it's not available anymore !
K701 has same default, and Amazon sells it nevertheless.

https://www.amazon.fr/AKG-filaire-Diaphragme-Coussinets-3d-form/product-reviews/B000EBBJ6Y/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt_rgt?showViewpoints=1&filterByStar=critical&pageNumber=1

AKG KNOWS evidently about this and does nothing.
They're using a fake image of premium German maker, selling crap.
I've had dozens of headphones, from 200 euros to 3000 euros a pair, and never saw such deceitful practice.

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #396 of 427
  Both are crap. 
Both exhibit the same default : poor solding on internal cable causes no sound on right side (could be also left side).
I made a fuss with Amazon. Their reply : we don't sell Q701 anymore. Of course, it's not available anymore !

https://www.amazon.fr/AKG-filaire-Diaphragme-Coussinets-3d-form/product-reviews/B000EBBJ6Y/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt_rgt?showViewpoints=1&filterByStar=critical&pageNumber=1

I've had dozens of headphones, from 200 euros to 3000 euros a pair, and never saw such deceitful practice.

I've owned numerous pairs of K7 akgs, the K712(Austrian), Q701(Austrian), and the K7XX(Chinese), as well as two different K612's(one Austrian, one Chinese). Plus 4 different K240s. Never had a single problem with cabling or soldering on any of them. I did find the chinese-made one's aren't near as good as the Austrian-made one's in terms of build-quality and sound quality though. The Chinese manufacturing shift really upset me as it's obvious the same quality controls aren't applied. It was likely AKG's parent company Harman pushing for the Chinese manufacturing shift.

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #397 of 427
I'm pretty sure most people don't have issues with the cable or soldering on their K701s.
Me neither.

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #399 of 427
  I've owned numerous pairs of K7 akgs, the K712(Austrian), Q701(Austrian), and the K7XX(Chinese), as well as two different K612's(one Austrian, one Chinese). Plus 4 different K240s. Never had a single problem with cabling or soldering on any of them. I did find the chinese-made one's aren't near as good as the Austrian-made one's in terms of build-quality and sound quality though. The Chinese manufacturing shift really upset me as it's obvious the same quality controls aren't applied. It was likely AKG's parent company Harman pushing for the Chinese manufacturing shift.

17 buyers complaining of the same soldering problem on Amazon only are just fantasy, I suppose ?

Aug 19, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #400 of 427
  17 buyers complaining of the same soldering problem on Amazon only are just fantasy, I suppose ?

Not saying they are fantasy, just I never come across that issue before and I've owned and tried a lot of AKGs. I have come across defective AKGs(bass rattle, cracked earcup, and channel imbalance. This is only on Chinese pairs though and I won't buy another Chinese AKG because of this), just as I've come across defective Sennheisers(I had a new HD 650 with a bad channel imbalance) and Beyers[the DT 1770(quite a bit more expensive than the AKGs) I have has been a nightmare]. I also don't know if it's more common across Chinese models compared to Austrian. Did you have Chinese or Austrian pairs?

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #401 of 427

Indeed, so representative of the countless K701s and related variants that AKG has produced and sold throughout the Americas and Europe.  Massdrop sells K7XX by the hundreds, and those are surely a drop in the bucket of what AKG has been selling for over a decade.

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #402 of 427
  Both are crap. 

I can attest to this. I purchased a pair of Q701s a couple of years ago and absolutely adored them. Unfortunately, sound went out on the right side due to poor soldering. I'm in the process of getting them replaced, but AKG says they do not have Q701 in stock and doesn't know when they will. To clarify, I have the Chinese version of the headphones. I don't know if this is a problem for Austrian makes.

Does anyone know if this is also a problem for the K702 and the entire KXX line? I know of only few reports of it here, but others have had this issue with AKG headphones. It's a such a shame because they are fantastic sounding headphones for their price. 

Sep 12, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #403 of 427
Poor soldering can happen regardless of the country it is made in, or whether we're talking about AKG headphones or others for that matter.  It is a rarity, in any case.

Sep 12, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #404 of 427
  Poor soldering can happen regardless of the country it is made in, or whether we're talking about AKG headphones or others for that matter.  It is a rarity, in any case.

Not when 17 customers complain of the same poor soldering in a single Amazon product page, both on previous and current model.
Ripoff.

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #405 of 427
Bad soldering is one of the easiest issues to fix, you just need soldering iron. If you don't know how to do it or doesn't have the SI required, get the cans to any electrician and he will fix it in the matter of minutes. No need to fuss about it or beg AKG for a new pair. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back