AK100 22Ohm Bypass DIY
Jul 31, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #16 of 36
Hi

im interested in doing this DIY mod but does anyone knows the exact points to solder?

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #19 of 36
open up with caution though..i used the wrong screwdriver ( a size to small) and wore the threading on the screws , now its kind of an eye sore... so im looking for spare screws like the one found on the ak100... 

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:
open up with caution though..i used the wrong screwdriver ( a size to small) and wore the threading on the screws , now its kind of an eye sore... so im looking for spare screws like the one found on the ak100... 

You should have used Torx T4 screwdriver. Anyways, why not contact iriver about replacement screws?

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #21 of 36
subbing to this thread for future updates :)

Aug 27, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #22 of 36
I'm just mentioning this, but 22ohm of AK100 doesn't affect every iems. The ones that are likely to be affected are multi BA driver iems that has non linear impedance characteristics. For example, my MDR7550 and H-200 is not affected by the 22ohm, but my UERM is affected. Just owning an iem doesn't mean you should do this mod. So far, I'm very happy with my AK100 unmodded with MDR7550. With UERM, I just use an amp.

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #23 of 36
If I understand correctly, you should have about 0 Ohm instead of 22 Ohm and you do that by adding an extra path with about 0 Ohm resistance. You could do this cleaner by replacing the 22 Ohm resistors with 0 Ohm resistors, they exist.

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #24 of 36
  If I understand correctly, you should have about 0 Ohm instead of 22 Ohm and you do that by adding an extra path with about 0 Ohm resistance. You could do this cleaner by replacing the 22 Ohm resistors with 0 Ohm resistors, they exist.

Well, can't we just bypass them? Won't that be cleaner than having another resistor?

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #25 of 36

Well, can't we just bypass them? Won't that be cleaner than having another resistor?

You can bypass of course but then you either take them out and put in a wire or solder an extra wire in parallel. Replacing the resistor by desoldering it and putting in a 0 OHM resistor is the cleanest way, the way I see it.
I don't own a AK100 and have no idea how easy it is to open it up but it's pretty straightforward.
I have (de)soldered smaller parts.

Sep 14, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #26 of 36
Just saying Guys , i tried to re do the mod , cuz i felt the soldering wasnt done proper , so when i did it again i burnt through the PCB...had to send it to iriver for fixing i just got the bill $340 repair , excluding shipping... 

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #27 of 36
  Just saying Guys , i tried to re do the mod , cuz i felt the soldering wasnt done proper , so when i did it again i burnt through the PCB...had to send it to iriver for fixing i just got the bill $340 repair , excluding shipping...

Sorry to hear that. Did you just added solder on the resistor or used a wire or replaced the resistor with a zero Ohm?
If you just added solder, the risks are bigger because you can easily heat p the whole PCB. By desoldering the original resistor and putting a zero Ohm in its place or adding a wire, those risks are minor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back