64 Audio A18 Tzar (TM) Impressions Thread (Impressions, Reviews, Tours)
Apr 29, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #91 of 286
You don't feel the A18 is technically more advanced and proficient than the U/A12? In this case it seems it's not just signature but Tia drivers, internal 3d printed chambers designed to reduce resonance, etc (see my review). There's actually quite a bit different with regard to the build of the A18 vs the A12.

Better or worse is a subjective opinion when it comes to totl flagships. At the end of the day it's all about a sound preference. For sure, U18 took a more advanced and innovative approach which is a big leap over U12, and as much as i hate bringing up the price - in a way it does justifies the price increase. We are not talking about just adding 6 more drivers. The shell material and design are updated, the driver count and the type of drivers (TIA) updated, the internal design is updated, the tuning is spot on, etc.

U/A18 is their new flagship, and Fourte of course, but as reviewer i learned a valuable lesson to be neutral describing what i hear and how i hear it. I had way too many discussions with my readers after U12 and Zeus reviews where people purchased it because both were flagships and I spoke highly of each. They ignored to read about U12 having a warmer signature with more bass impact or Zeus having a mid forward signature with a very neutral bass, and ended up being disappointed because they found too much or too little bass or too bright or too warm tonality. So, doesn't matter about flagship status or the number of drivers if at the end of the day the sound sig is not your cup of tea and you prefer and actually find better the sound of another lesser-driver model from the same manufacturer. That's why I'm a bit hesitant with throwing around a label of better or worth. All these totl flagships are great, just need to find the one with your preferred sound sig and pair up with your source, and also keep the price factor in mind, though in some cases i see people spending money to get 2-3 flagships which they are ok with instead of putting these money to buy one which could be their true endgame.

:beerchug:

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #92 of 286
Agree, best is to choose with our own ear. Unfortunately 64 audio confirmed they will not attend MUNICH, so I will have to wait for CanJam London in July to hear the Tia Fourte and A18

Apr 29, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #94 of 286
How does A18 compare with UERR/UE18 Pro? Would like to see some comparisons against Campfire Audio Andromeda & Jupiter too.

Absolutely, will compare to UERR, Andromeda, and others in my review.

Apr 29, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #95 of 286
Absolutely, will compare to UERR, Andromeda, and others in my review.

we are awaiting for your review, including U18 v/s Fourté with all possible the cable rolling options :ksc75smile:

Apr 29, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #96 of 286
EDIT: whoops – wrong thread :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 12.39.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 12.39.03 PM.png
    120.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #97 of 286
I realize that the Fourté is not as big as I expected. So may be the fit inside the ear will be as confortable as with my SHURE 1500 which is really perfect fit (for me).

But... I still wonder where is the APEX module which on all other 64audio IEMs is apparent and removable !??
Capture d’écran 2017-04-29 à 21.37.08.png

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #98 of 286
I realize that the Fourté is not as big as I expected. So may be the fit inside the ear will be as confortable as with my SHURE 1500 which is really perfect fit (for me).

But... I still wonder where is the APEX module which on all other 64audio IEMs is apparent and removable !??

The module is inside and not replaceable. I believe it's done that way due to design restriction using dynamic driver where you can't have a module removable from outside.

Apr 29, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #99 of 286

https://www.64audio.com/img/products/1964ears-1487871136-tia_u18t_Product.png

Do you see the circular vent on the curved edge of the Left ear IEM in the picture? I am guessing the Apex mesh is placed on the inside of the shell right behind this vent.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #101 of 286
So what kind of a apex module is used in Tia Fourte?

Well, it wouldn't be a module if it isn't modular. :wink:

But I too want to know which version it is based on.

Apr 30, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #103 of 286
Apr 30, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #104 of 286
Bit of a nitpick, but after handling the Tia Fourte and the U18 at AXPONA, given that they cost so bloody much, the cables could've certainly been a bit nicer...both sound great though.

It depends, are you looking at the cable as an accessory to spice up the look or to fine tune the sound? :)

From my experience of testing/reviewing various iem cables, the best one i heard to date is $2k PWA 1960 cable which looks like a power cord from a toaster oven lol!

The new 64audio spc cable doesn't sound like a typical silver plated cable and certainly looks plain, but it actually has a decent pair up with u18. Of course, if you want to go balanced, it will give you a reason/excuse to look for something else.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #105 of 286
It depends, are you looking at the cable as an accessory to spice up the look or to fine tune the sound? :)

From my experience of testing/reviewing various iem cables, the best one i heard to date is $2k PWA 1960 cable which looks like a power cord from a toaster oven lol!

The new 64audio spc cable doesn't sound like a typical silver plated cable and certainly looks plain, but it actually has a decent pair up with u18. Of course, if you want to go balanced, it will give you a reason/excuse to look for something else.
Fair enough, it's just that the stock cable feels and looks very generic in a way that shouldn't be associated with a $3k IEM in my opinion, especially compared to stuff like the Litz cables bundled with the Campfires or the specially built ALO cable bundled with the W80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back