24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
May 26, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #3,886 of 7,175
For sure,in theory, a 5 bit 17th order shaper with OSR=2048 may increase digital dynamic range around 50bits.
... In a DAC perspective, I failed to understand the reasons of such range. Marketing BS probably?

Typically, commercial music has no more than about 10 bits of dynamic range and DACs typically have about 17 - 20 bits of signal to noise ratio. Another 30 bits (180dB) of digital dynamic range beyond that is useful for only one thing, marketing!

G

May 26, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #3,892 of 7,175
It would appear related to his quote. Someone said an arrangement could result in 50 bits digital dynamic range. With most devices limited by real use noise of about 20 bits, that leaves 30 bits marketing overkill (50-20=30 bits).

Even 32 bits would appear to offer 192 db of dynamic range. A number of news chips in new DACs are trumpeting their 32 bit DAC chips.

May 27, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #3,893 of 7,175
I wait for definition by Gregorio. He use the word too often, in my opinion.

As this thread discusses, 16bit is more than sufficient for a distribution file format. In the case of a DAC, to be safe we'd want another bit or so of digital dynamic range, to give some headroom for processing (over-sampling for example). There is even a potential argument for a DAC to accept and operate at 24bit int or 32bit float, for example, in the case of the consumer applying some processing such as EQ and/or HRTFs or adjusting digital volume and making sure truncation artefacts are always well below audibility. But, what is the practical benefit (or even potential practical benefit) of a DAC operating at 32bit int or in the example given, 50bit (or equivalent DR)? The answer is; no practical benefit whatsoever! Where there is no practical benefit, the only reason for operating at bit depths in excess 24/32float is marketing. This then is a definition of marketing; A feature of no practical benefit, included for the sole purpose of misleading consumers by stating/implying that the feature is of practical benefit. This broadly agrees with both @StanD and @spruce music.

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back