ε24: Power switch driver circuit
Mar 26, 2008 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

amb

Member of the Trade: AMB Laboratories
Any interest in a circuit that lets you use momentary switches (such as the attractive Bulgin vandal-resistant pushbuttons) as the main power switch of an amp or other device? Here is a solution that also has a couple of extra features thrown in.

HeadWize: DIY Workshop > ε24: Power switch driver circuit

MPI1002_400px.jpg

C3632.png

C3630.jpg

Mar 26, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 41
I already picked up a latching button, but I would definitely be interested in a few boards since not having to run AC up to the front is a very nice option
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #3 of 41
This is the kind of thing that's terribly useful, but simple enough to easily build on stripboard. I like the 'bonus features' though, they might make it worthwhile for me to buy a couple if I ever get around to casing my amps nicely.

A couple comments. The Omron relays are pretty expensive. I think the Panasonic TQ2 series is a direct substitution, and seems to cost about half as much. No reason not to use the cheaper part here, IMO. Also, is a $2.50 18A MOSFET really required to drive the relay? I'm thinking something like the $0.25 2N7000 (200mA) or $0.35 BS170 (500mA) should be sufficient. If a tiny little 2VA transformer is used, it simply can't provide enough current to warrant the IRLZ24N as far as I can see, and besides, the relay coil current shouldn't be more than 100mA. Maybe you have another reason for using this particular part? Spending 1/4 of the total BOM cost on an grossly overengineered FET seems a bit much to me.

Edit: It'd also be nice to have a pads for +12V/GND. Could be useful for other 'standby' electronics, and I think there's room.

Mar 26, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Omron relays are pretty expensive. I think the Panasonic TQ2 series is a direct substitution, and seems to cost about half as much.

Sure, you could use the Panasonic part (TQ2-12V). The Omron is available at both Mouser and Digikey (and seems to be easier to find elsewhere as well). Digikey has the Panasonic but not Mouser.

Quote:

Also, is a $2.50 18A MOSFET really required to drive the relay? I'm thinking something like the $0.25 2N7000 (200mA) or $0.35 BS170 (500mA) should be sufficient.

I chose IRLZ24N because I have a boat load of them. These are the same devices used on the σ11 PSU. In the grand scheme of things they are not that expensive, and there's only one in the circuit. You can use an alternative MOSFET if you want, as long as the pin-out is compatible (the 2N7000 and BS170 are not). But IRF510 is fine, for example.

Quote:

Edit: It'd also be nice to have a pads for +12V/GND. Could be useful for other 'standby' electronics, and I think there's room.

I spec'ed a very small transformer, just enough to do the job. The small radiated field of a small transformer is also desirable, but that means there isn't any "juice" leftover to power other circuits.

EDIT: The regulated +12V is available at the T1 connector, so it's already there. there isn't room for another Molex header position, but I'll add a wirepad that connects to the ground plane. So, if you use a larger transformer then you could do what you want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
Would this work for other switch applications, like turning on and off speakers?

Sure. Instead of a "always-on" power transformer, in this case you can have the circuit run off switched power.

Mar 26, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #7 of 41
LOL Thrice, you're as impatient as I am. It sounds like there is enough interest for a small run of boards. The layout has passed DRC and ERC, and I've also manually verified all nets against the schematic. So, I do like a fast track to get some boards made. My β24 build needs it...
cool.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL Thrice, you're as impatient as I am. It sounds like there is enough interest for a small run of boards. The layout has passed DRC and ERC, and I've also manually verified all nets against the schematic. So, I do like a fast track to get some boards made. My β24 build needs it...
cool.gif

Ti, I'm sure you know all you have to do is ask and some of us will be more than willing to help offset the cost of a small production run of these but I want to reiterate it anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #9 of 41
No worries, Nate. I think there is enough interest to get at least 20 boards made. That should make the per-board down to somewhat affordable levels. I think those of us who care about the aesthetics of our build enough to use these Bulgin switches (and shudder at the thought of a perfboard or protoboard inside our amp) wouldn't mind spending a few extra bucks for the vanity.
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 41
Consider me interested!

Now all I have to find is a switch that matches the appearance of those Bulgin switches but with gold or brass plating (hooray for vanity!).

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #12 of 41
I went ahead and ordered 20 boards. I believe there is enough interest that I wouldn't be sitting on them forever. ETA is around April 9.

Mar 26, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #15 of 41
thumbnail_BULGIN-RED.jpg

and why not a few others...

ele-232.jpg

ele-274.jpg

IllumSwitches.jpg

There are a fair number of possibilities for cool switches once you open the momentary door.

[edit]Oh dear, thrice is going to need a napkin...

2006.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back