To help any new DIY'ers this Wiki is a compilation of the answers from many threads in an attempt to compile a comprehensive list of suggestions and links for anyone starting out in DIY.
Table of Contents
- Getting Started
- Minimum Set of Tools
- Additional Tools
- Parts and Supplies
A wonderful source of information can be found at one of our members website http://www.tangentsoft.net. In particular reading and understanding the information provided at these links is strongly suggested:
- "Getting Started in Audio DIY"
- "How to Buy a Multimeter"
- "Tangent Tutorials" - (Getting Started Soldering and Test Equipment sections are very helpful)
Minimum Set of Tools
- 25W soldering irons are designed for general purpose but is not recommended for small circuit boards. It is desirable to use a soldering station with adjustable temperature.
- Hakko 936 Station with 907 Iron.
- Weller WESD51 or WES51 Station
- The most popular recommendations are Fluke. There are many discussions about the various models on Head-Fi. If you're considering purchasing from e-bay, you should review this thread.
- Eutectic solder. Read the discussion at What kind of solder do you use?.
- Newark #34C5667 Kester RA 63/37 25mil 1lb
- All-Spec #kw28510 Kester RMA 63/37 25mil 1lb
- Newark #52F9047 Xcelite Flush
- Newark Part Number: 52F9064
- All-Spec #MS545J Xcelite Flush
- Newark #52F9066 Erem 3SASL
- All-Spec #340-009 Erem 3SASL
- Newark #52F9054 Xcelite LN54-G 5" Smooth
- All-Spec #NN54G Xcelite NN54-G 5" Smooth
- Newark #95F6243 Soder-Wick .110in 10ft
- All-Spec #80-4-10 Soder-Wick .110in 10ft
- Kester 1544 Liquid Flux including needle bottle
- Newark #71C6011
- All-Spec #M35305
- 99% Isopropyl Alcohol - purchase at hardware store
- Natural bristle brush
- Newark #97H2957 Paladin 1117 22-10AWG
- All-Spec #PA1105 Paladin 22-10AWG
- PanaVise products to secure any work your soldering.
- Newark #72K7274 Plato BC-250
- All-Spec #BC-250 Plato BC-250
- All-Spec #26034 Inspection Eye Loupe 10x Magnification (Aven 10X loupe)
- Heat-gun to shrink heat shrink tubing
- All-Spec #332A Stainless steel "soldering" probe (Excelta 332A)
- All-Spec #SH125 4 piece stainless steel probe kit (Beau Tech SH-125)
- All-Spec #53608 12 piece mini needle files (Proedge 53608)
- Clamp-on illuminated magnifier (Magnifiers)