Classifieds Rules & Guidelines
For information on how to use the classifieds, please see this page: https://www.head-fi.org/f/articles/for-sale-and-trade-forums-faq.13112/
- About the Classifieds
- Main Rules
- Commercial Sales and "Flipping"
- Forbidden Items
- Feedback Rules & Guidelines
- Classified Access Removal
- Safety Recommendations
About the Classifieds
The Classifieds area of this site is a private forum for members who have been registered for 30 days AND have made at least 15 posts on the forums. Use of this area is at your own risk. The use of the classified system is a privilege and not a right. Head-Fi reserves the right to close, edit or delete any classified as the moderators and admins see fit. Head-Fi also reserves the right to alter the requirements for posting a classified for any member or group of members at any time.
Classified access can be removed. Creating a second account to try and manipulate sales, evade removed access or get around negative feedback received will result in an immediate, permanent and irrevocable ban from the site.
Head-Fi (hereafter "We") does not monitor the postings on the site for accuracy or reliability, and makes no warranty as to the accuracy or reliability of any information posted on the site. We do not guarantee or have information regarding the quality of any of the products bought or traded or acquired through the Classified area. The choice to participate, the terms of any transaction and the outcome are solely your responsibility. Deals are made solely between members and we not liable for any any loss or damage, including but not limited to no payment, not receiving item, personal injury, death, or any other negative outcome, resulting from use of the Buy, Sell, Trade forums or bought/traded items. We are not responsible and will not compensate any participants in any way for trades conducted by other Head-Fi Classified participants and will not deliver transacted products. While we encourage equitable sales and trading, we have no responsibility for the fairness or completion of any transaction.
The purpose of the classifieds is for active members to buy and sell privately-owned audio gear (though other equipment, where legal, is OK) for private, non-commercial use and not for re-sale.
Please post only one classified for any individual item and sell ONLY a single item to one person.
- If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.
- Keep transactions simple! Sell items "as is" and only buy using a single payment. Quite a few issues come from people over-complicating trades or being indecisive. Buy or don't buy. Sell or don't sell. Don't muck people around and change your mind.
- Be careful when considering trade offers. Make sure to check the feedback, history, and profile age of anyone offering a trade.
- If more than one person is interested in buying an item you have for sale, tell the other people that they aren't the first and you'll contact them if the person (or people) ahead of them don't go ahead.
- If a buyer is hesitating repeatedly to buy, especially if they indicate that they are short of funds, we recommend not trading with them. Occasionally a person, short of money, has put in a false Paypal claim about an item not working to force a refund and return because they needed the money urgently.
- If a person is in a hurry to sell and pushing you, we recommend not going ahead.
- When selling (or buying) if multiple people are interested, please choose one person to sell to (or buy from) and go ahead with that.
Don't give your Paypal email address to more than one person at the same time.
- Asking for payment for an item from multiple people at the same time is fraud! If multiple people pay and Paypal receives a complaint, your account will be locked and even if everything is resolved, there will be considerable delays in receiving payments in the future. We will also ban your Head-Fi account.
Don't give your payment details unless you are 100% ready to ship!
- In the rare event that something urgent comes up (eg: family issues) after you have received payment, either immediately send the item, or immediately refund the person and apologize.
- Please limit "bump" posts to once every three days.
- Please only request payments via protected methods like PayPal. Do not request payment via unprotected methods like PayPal Gift, money order, or bank transfer.
- Auctions and "interest checks" are not allowed. Set a firm price. Members want to buy your gear, not fight for it. Please use eBay or Audiogon if you want to auction your gear.
The Classifieds are not discussion forums
- Please do NOT comment in the threads unless you are directly responding with an interest in making a transaction with the poster of the classified. If you wish to notify the poster of the classified of something, please send them a private message. If you believe that a classified should be brought to the attention of the moderators and/or admins, please click on the report button - found on the bottom left of the post - and fill in the details with what you feel is inappropriate or suspicious about it.
Commercial sales and "Flipping"
The classifieds are for personal, non-commercial non-profit sales.
Buying and selling items on the forums for the express purpose of making a profit is not allowed. Buying an item to immediately resell at a profit is known as "flipping." People found to be using the forums or private messaging system for this purpose may have their account banned. Likewise, DIY items cannot be sold at greater than the cost of parts (and shipping), as doing so would make the DIY'er a Member of the Trade and subject to the rules as stated in the Terms of Service.
However, items purchased some months or years prior to the sale for private use, the market value for which has changed, can be sold at their current market value. Examples of this would be the AKG K1000, vintage Grados such as the HP-1000/HP-2, the Stax Omega I, Sony R-10 and Qualia 010. We ask that you please contact a moderator before posting these listings to make sure everything is in order.
Items sold in discount sales, such as Amazon specials, cannot be sold at market value immediately afterwards, as this is definitely flipping.
Members of the Trade cannot use the classifieds to sell items which are or include items connected with those they normally make or sell under any circumstances (even if at a loss). Eg: A cable maker cannot sell headphones that have been re-wired by them and an amp builder cannot sell amps or spare parts for amps they make, etc. Any MOT who wishes to sell an item whom is unsure as to whether they are allowed to sell something should first contact a moderator to check.
Products that are of dubious legality cannot be sold or traded on the forums, such as computers, hard drives or DAPs loaded with music.
Products can only be sold if they are physically in your possession. Crowdfunded products (eg: Those from Kickstarter and Indiegogo) and pre-orders cannot be listed in the classifieds. You cannot sell your pledge or spot in line.
Crowd-funded products have a high failure rate. We don't want to see the disaster that would ensure if a bunch of people had sold products they had pledged for that didn't end up getting made. Not to mention that attempting to "sell" a product which is effectively an un-guaranteed gift from a donation is of dubious legality.
Review samples and accommodation purchased items.
Items received for free for reviews posted on Head-Fi CANNOT be sold or traded ANYWHERE, period.
Accommodation purchases, that is, items sent for review on Head-Fi but then sold afterwards to the reviewer at an "accommodation price" CANNOT be sold at a higher price than was paid for the item.
Doing either is highly unethical and a serious abuse of your membership here and, not to mention, a serious abuse of the manufacturers. Not to mention, no member that does not have an official review tag and/or is formally listed as a reviewer can call themselves as such here. Using the classifieds or Head-Fi to make a profit comes under the same rules those for Members of the Trade and abuse is considered to be "flipping for profit" or shilling, depending on circumstances (eg: Telling a manufacturer you'll post a positive review if you can get the item for free or at a discount). Members found to be using the classifieds and/or review system to profit from review items, even if the items were sold or traded elsewhere, may have ALL their reviews deleted, access to the classifieds removed and/or will be banned.
Items received for free from a manufacturer can be given away.
DIY items strictly cannot be sold for more than the cost of parts and shipping.
If you are a DIY'er who feels they should be compensated for their time, then you fall under our rules for Members of the Trade and you should contact a moderator or administrator about it. However, if you fall under our MOT rules, you cannot use the classifieds to carry on a business.
Classified Access Removal
We reserve the right to remove the ability for individual members to post classifieds for any reason whatsoever. Individuals who have had classified access removed who create a new account to evade the block will have their accounts immediately, permanently and irrevocably banned.
Feedback Rules & Guidelines
As well, prior to the introduction of this system, members may have a feedback thread in the Buyer/Seller Feedback Archive which people are encouraged to read first.
- By participating on this site, you agree to allow other users to leave trader feedback for you, whether it is negative, positive, or neutral.
- Feedback should only be left based on a completed transaction in which payment and/or item has been sent. Feedback should not be left for any inquiries or exchanges where no goods or funds have passed between members. Eg: If a seller changes his mind about selling an item before money has been sent by the buyer, feedback cannot be left, annoying as it may be.
- Negative feedback should only be left where a sale or trade has not been completed and is unresolved, eg: Items weren't sent after payment or trade or arrived broken, incomplete or not as described and no satisfactory resolution (eg: return and refund) was reached. If a full refund is provided, negative feedback shouldn't be left. Neutral feedback may be most appropriate in this case. We'd like negative feedback reserved for where there have been genuine, serious problems and not just annoyance.
- Do not leave fake feedback for another member. This includes leaving false negative ratings for someone you don't like or shilling for friends. It is prohibited to exchange feedback for the sole purpose of increasing feedback scores or enhancing reputation.
- No individual is allowed to provide feedback on themselves. This includes creating multiple accounts with the intent of boosting your own rating. This will result in an immediate, permanent and irrevocable ban.
- Do not leave offensive feedback or feedback with inappropriate content in it.
- Retaliatory feedback is not permitted.
- No individual should use the trader feedback system as a threat. It is prohibited to use the feedback system as an attempt to get something that wasn't part of the original listing. Honest feedback should be given to those who deserve it, whether it is negative, positive, or neutral.
- Members cannot demand feedback. It is prohibited to include terms or conditions in a listing that require or restrict the buyer's right to leave feedback.
- Ratings and comments are generally a permanent part of a member's feedback history. However, we reserve the right to remove feedback where we have good reason to believe it breaks the rules above.
To protect yourself during transactions, there are a few precautions you should take. If you are a buyer, try to pay for your transactions through PayPal and use a credit card to make the payment. That way, if the transaction goes bad, you might be able to get a refund through PayPal or your credit card. If you are a seller, use PayPal, as well. It would also be wise to include insurance and/or delivery confirmation for the package. That will help protect you.
Requesting a personal payment (PayPal Gift) is a breach of the PayPal User Agreement, as well as asking members to pay the PayPal fees. Please do not request payment via PayPal Gift.
It is better to set a total price that you wish a member to pay you and not mention fees at all.
Sending an item without registration (and without tracking), especially overseas, vastly increases the risk of the item being stolen by postal workers. We have had cases of headphones being stalled in customs in one country for a month, after which they arrived damaged. It was clear that workers had borrowed the headphones for that time before delivering them! Sending an item overseas without tracking (International Express/EMS, available in most countries, has tracking included to most destinations and has a reasonable cost) leaves you with essentially NO proof of delivery if a complaint is filed with Paypal.
Taking clear, detailed photographs of items immediately before they are shipped, including the way they were packed, as well as packing them very carefully in a box to allow for rough handling are both strongly recommended. Don't do stupid things such as sending headphones in a padded envelope! Assume that the postal workers will throw your box on and off trucks. In my experience, they tend to throw boxes harder that have "FRAGILE" stickers on them, so making your box look as boring as possible.
Also, check the article: Beware of scammers and people abusing the classifieds regularly for updates, as we have had a few serial abusers and even Nigerian scammers targeting our forums.
Caveat Emptor. We will not guarantee we will be able to, or even take any action at all in regards to complaints about transactions, complete or incomplete. That being said, this is the correct way to contact us if you have had an issue with another member over a classified or trade on the forums. On the other hand, if we find that fraud of any kind has been committed, we WILL contact the police and/or hand over any information we have to the police after we get the victim(s) to complain.
- If a complaint arrises, try and solve the problem amicably first. That always works best.
- DO NOT PM insults or accusations to the other person involved. "You just want a refund because you need the money etc." and other attacking comments do not do anything other than make YOU look bad and then make it much harder to solve the issue.
- If that doesn't work, report the classified and/or ONE (and ONLY ONE) message in the PM conversation and fill in the box with information about the problem or concern. DO NOT PM THE MODERATORS! A moderator who has the time to address the issue will then contact you.
- Keep trying the amicable route. If, for any reason we aren't confident in your ability to complete trades on Head-Fi without issues we may remove your classified access, even if you have many successful trades already.
Credits to MacNN Forums from which these rules were partially derived.[/size]
Can I change my user name? Can I delete my account?
Can I change my user name? Name changes are handled on a case-by-case basis by Head-Fi's administrators, and are generally reserved for extreme...
November 24, 2014: Since they are now a product reseller and I know we'll get asked about this frequently, discussion and linking to Massdrop's...
The purpose of social groups is to allow members more freedom and control over regular discussion with friends or people who share similar...
Trading Advisory (Updated January 2019)
Trading Advisory Important Information A Letter from Head-Fi How to Protect Yourself Known Scams (Updated January 2019) Recent Scammers (Updated...
Posting Guidelines Key Points Public Messages Threads Discussion Reviews and Impressions Other Disclosure, Group Buys, Product Tours etc....
Terms Of Service
"Men are disturbed not by the things which happen, but by their opinions about the things" --Epictitus AD 55-135 The staff, just like members,...
Membership Levels, Badges and Custom Titles
Users have up to three things that show on posts and/or in their profile: A badge, and maybe a custom title below their user name and sometimes an...
How to Submit Reviews and Add Entries to Head Gear
How to Submit Reviews and Add Entries to Head Gear Our new Head Gear section functions differently than it did on our previous platform, so...
For Sale And Trade Forums FAQ
Gear For Sale/Trade FAQ (updated June 2017) Welcome to the Gear For Sale/Trade forums FAQ. What are the Gear For Sale/Trade forums? Are there...