What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 22, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #9,391 of 14,566
Oct 22, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #9,392 of 14,566
Since I doubt the Schiit transport will have a USB (or other) input, what would be a good source to go along with the transport that I could connect the hard drive that contains all my FLAC files to for playback? I don't really need a display etc... Just want to be able to set it to shuffle or play them straight through.

On my other systems I use an Oppo 105D, UDP 205 and a laptop. I don't really have any spare laptops I could use for a source, should I just build a Raspberry Pi for this?

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #9,393 of 14,566
Since I doubt the Schiit transport will have a USB (or other) input, what would be a good source to go along with the transport that I could connect the hard drive that contains all my FLAC files to for playback? I don't really need a display etc... Just want to be able to set it to shuffle or play them straight through.

On my other systems I use an Oppo 105D, UDP 205 and a laptop. I don't really have any spare laptops I could use for a source, should I just build a Raspberry Pi for this?
That would be my recommendation. Of course if in the future Schiit makes a Schiit Pi or Schiit Pi HAT I'd go with that.

Oct 22, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #9,394 of 14,566
You are committed BIG time when you put $$$ into hard tooling---specifically, injection molding dies. Sales # dictate the size of the production run, but the non recurring engineering and tooling costs are amortized over the production [or anticipated] production runs.
Regardless, it seems Schiit recognizes they won’t have enough to meet demand.

Oct 22, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #9,395 of 14,566
That would be my recommendation. Of course if in the future Schiit makes a Schiit Pi or Schiit Pi HAT I'd go with that.

My interpretation (which is most likely completely inaccurate) of the Schiit Pi is that it's going to be used for the engine/backbone for some of their upcoming products since current offerings do not have enough "horsepower" for what they are looking to build, not to be sold as a stand alone device.

Oct 22, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #9,396 of 14,566
My interpretation (which is most likely completely inaccurate) of the Schiit Pi is that it's going to be used for the engine/backbone for some of their upcoming products since current offerings do not have enough "horsepower" for what they are looking to build, not to be sold as a stand alone device.
Not inaccurate -- I believe you are correct, based on Jason's comments after we discussed it the first time.

Oct 22, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #9,397 of 14,566

I agree with you all and understand that the initial Schiit Pis will be internal with no customer access. Sort of like the testing/programing ports on the current Schiit products. but I wouldn't put it past them to try making a HAT or some sort of Hardware to help raise the Audio quality of the RPi as a DAP source. Alternately they could do something as simple as putting a USB port to attach HDD's to the Spinner for example.

Oct 22, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #9,398 of 14,566

Why would a transport have an input? It's the start point.

Oct 22, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #9,399 of 14,566
Yes -- a true CD transport has no DAC. It just reads the CD and sends out digital output to a DAC which then decodes and sends out analog. CD Transports have no ability to read and uncompress FLAC/MP3, etc. If it were able to do that, then it would not be a transport in the typical sense -- it would be a headless media server with a built-in CD drive.

It would definitely be a reinvention of the platform and would be a music transport as opposed to a CD transport. Then folks would want to manage playback and it starts becoming a DAP or Media Server w/ software. I'd say it's not gonna happen, but what do I know. :D

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #9,400 of 14,566
CD transport = precisely that. CD spinner with digital output. And that is all. If you wish to connect a HDD to something to play digital files there are thousands of solutions ranging in price from a few tens of dollars to five figures. Choose your weapon.

-edit- as stated above.

Oct 22, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #9,401 of 14,566

Not inaccurate -- I believe you are correct, based on Jason's comments after we discussed it the first time.
Funny how my assumptions railroaded my perceptions. @wabe ... your comments bears repeating.
I agree with you all and understand that the initial Schiit Pis will be internal with no customer access. Sort of like the testing/programing ports on the current Schiit products. but I wouldn't put it past them to try making a HAT or some sort of Hardware to help raise the Audio quality of the RPi as a DAP source. Alternately they could do something as simple as putting a USB port to attach HDD's to the Spinner for example.
Ding! So, a SchiitPi (god I hope they use it and market like Intel did with their MMX or ‘intel inside’ Jingle) would be embedded in in products to do any signal processing or “tuning”. :ksc75smile:
Yes -- a true CD transport has no DAC. It just reads the CD and sends out digital output to a DAC which then decodes and sends out analog. CD Transports have no ability to read and uncompress FLAC/MP3, etc. If it were able to do that, then it would not be a transport in the typical sense -- it would be a headless media server with a built-in CD drive.

It would definitely be a reinvention of the platform and would be a music transport as opposed to a CD transport. Then folks would want to manage playback and it starts becoming a DAP or Media Server w/ software. I'd say it's not gonna happen, but what do I know. :D

Now, THIS... this is why I read this thread. I was just assuming the “transport” would have a built-in DAC, thus making it like all the CD carousel units I grew up with. And I was confusing ‘music transport’, thus a DAP with a CD transport. I actually thought Schiit was going to release a spinner that has a large, 6-disc platter that rolls out (Yamaha unit I had that broke). So, Schiit will NOT develop a DAP... right! A modular system.... got it...

I’m getting closer than ever to buying a Pi, add a SPIDIF “hat” on it, and assembling a monitorless (headless?) little music server to feed my Modi.

Last night, I discovered what happens when my wife was running Google applications on WiFi, and me wirelessly streaming tunes to my listening nook. Pops. Pings. Foobar frozen! A 20ft Ethernet cable to our Netgear router made it better (and posed as a trip hazard). Sigh....

Oct 22, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #9,402 of 14,566
I'd buy the transport, but Sol might be a stretch. so far I own three records.

Oct 22, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #9,403 of 14,566
I'd buy the transport, but Sol might be a stretch. so far I own three records.

So far I own 0 records, I chose this path in the early 90s, letting my records go. Wish I hadn't, but no changing that now.
I then proceeded to buy many hundreds of CDs.

At least now with my TEAC as transport/Yggdrasil I finally have no regrets, it's better than the vinyl I remember or have heard recently.:)

Oct 22, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #9,404 of 14,566
I'll be the snarky curmudgeon. I once owned a collection of over 40,000 LPs and a Garrard 301 with Infinity Black Widow tone arm turntable system. (And an Otari MX-5050 open reel deck and boxes of tapes.) The best day in my musical life was when I sold all that cumbersome, noisy, distortion prone, low dynamic range, dirty stuff and transitioned to an all-digital system. Not only did the sound quality go up so did the convenience and I regained an entire room in the house that could be used for other purposes. This is to say I have less than zero interest in SOL, but for those who are interested I hope it is the best little device designed to drag a rock through a groove in a piece of plastic to approximate music that you've ever owned.

:smile_phones:

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #9,405 of 14,566
I've been exclusively on digital for almost 2 decades now and it's definitely superior as far as pure SQ, but I find I'm enjoying listening to music quite a bit more on vinyl, so I've been investing into it more lately.

I don't know if it's just out of nostalgia or something else, I don't really care. I don't go overboard as far as collecting; I only buy from a handful of my favorite artists on vinyl (like Pink Floyd, Steven Wilson, etc).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back