Turntable + Pre-Amp + Powered Monitors...
Jun 21, 2011 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gelocks

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello everyone.

While organizing my room, I see that I have quite a few vinyls lying around and I have never ever listened
to any of them. This is due to me NOT having a record player since I was like 10! But the artists that I listen
to sometimes bundle up their new releases with T-Shirts. posters and 7's.

I'm looking for a cheap way to listen to these vinyls without breaking the bank because, let me be honest,
I don't think I will spend a lot of time on this room listening to them... still I guess it's a good thing to have
a record player around... (ok ok... since I logged into this site, my wallet wants me to keep spending money!!)

So, this is what I have in mind:

Audio-Technica AT-LP60 Fully Automatic Belt-Drive Turntable
ART USB PhonoPlus v2 Pre-amp

What I like about that pre-amp (even though the AT-LP60 also has an internal pre-amp) is that
it has a head-phone out and I can connect more sources if I want (be it CD-player, etc.).

Now the thing is... I have some "studio" monitors (active) that have RCA unbalanced inputs
(take a look at the link below for Tapco S5s)

http://www.djkit.com/images/products/ZOOMED_S5.jpg

Can I take the out from the pre-amp (i.e. the RCA red and white) and connect one to each
monitor? Will it sound ok?

Make note that this would be a secondary option since my primary one is to listen through headphones!

Thanks.!

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 6
Or should I go with something like a Yamaha A-S500 and forget the ART pre-amp?
And also, can I still use the powered monitors with an amp like that Yamaha I just mentioned?

THanks.

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #3 of 6
Always nice to have the option of playing vinyl. I doubt you will regret doing so.

Yes. You can connect the output from the ART (or the turntable) to your powered monitors and it will work fine. There is a potential problem though. It looks to me that the gain (volume control) on your speakers is on the back of each monitor and rather small. So adjusting the volume may prove fiddly. Although you could use the gain on the ART (and maybe the AT turntable  - it's not clear from the published data I have dug up so far)  and leave the monitors on unity.

Unfortunately that also means you can connect only one source at a time to the speakers. Not ideal.

What I have done, and what you might also consider, is getting your hands on a inexpensive mixer. That way you can plug all your various sources into the mixer, adjust gain separately for each source (RIAA pre-amp, CD player, computer, radio, telly etc etc) then plug the mixer output into the speakers. hey presto Easy, one stop volume control for all.

The Yamaha looks to be a nice bit of kit but it does represent overkill considering the rest of your gear. You could in fact drive the Tapcos via the tape monitor out from the amp (NOT I repeat NOT via the regular speaker outs) but that means you are not making use of the amplifier function at all and it will simply act like I described the mixer above. Except you will not enjoy the convienience of a single volume control for the entire system.

As an alternative to buying a mixer you might also consider an inexpensive but high quality multichannel audio interface such as the Focusrite saffire 6 or even an E-MU 0204 on up. That way you can leave all your sources permanently plugged in, adjust gain in one place, record anything you hear instantly, even record one signal and listen to another or play music and talk to your friends via skype or ventrillo   on another channel. 

Really the audio interface is the way to go. Once you discover the convienience and flexibility you will never want to go back. Promise.

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #4 of 6
Hello RonaldDumsfeld.

Those interfaces look good but I already have an interface box also...
Lexicon Omega. The thing is that it doesn't have RCA inputs only microphone and mono
inputs for instruments, etc. It does have spdif in/out but I don't think I can use RCA to SPDIF... so there would be no way to connect the output of the turntable or pre-amp to the Lexicon... unless I'm mistaken (i.e. I know I would get "mono" sound if I try with an RCA to 3.5mm male cable...)

Also, I suggested the Yamaha or any other (a Cambridge audio, etc?) in case of future upgrades (i.e. such as a CD player)... but still most of the time I would like to listen through headphones so... still not sure. Everytime I read on specs and amps and pre-amps I get more confused!!! :p

Thanks!

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 6
Oh Great! That's easy then.

Simply connect the left and right channels from the deck to 2 of the four line level input channels on the Lexicon. You might need RCA > 1/4" TS adaptors or better a pair of suitable leads going RCA > 1/4" TS.

Jun 24, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #6 of 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back