Topping L30 - The new budget benchmark?
Dec 23, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #331 of 506
If you stack them I would buy RCA cables max 20 cm long. I got Straight wire cables, very nice. Schiit sells them too: Schiit Audio: Audio Products Designed and Built in California I also know a shop in the Netherlands that sells them: Straightwire rca set - Hifi Studio 79

Cable from E30 to PC is about 1 meter I would guess.

Zero noise here. Absolute darkness.

DAC has USB Type-B input and your phone probably USB Type-C. If you're in doubt: Identifying your USB connector | CMD (cmd-ltd.com)

Thx, i will look into it those cables. Some people are complaining that the devices get a bit hot, so probably buying longer cables.

1m is enough i think and good to know that there are no noise issues :)

Yes it's a usb-c smartphone

if i want to connect speakers as well i need to buy powered rca connected speakers, or are there rca to xlr adapters?

Is the included l30 power brick compatible for EU plugs?

Thx a lot

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #333 of 506
This may be an odd question but can a headphone amp like the L30 power a set of computer speakers?

I currently have an old 5.1 set of crappy Logitech speakers (Z-5300) which I have hooked up to the Xonar DX sound card in my PC.

The way the system works is that there are three 3.5 mm cables going from the Xonar to the Logitech subwoofer (front, center, rear), and then the subwoofer has 5 female outputs, which the 5 satellite speakers are plugged into (they look like RCA connectors, but I’m not sure if it’s some proprietary thing).

What I’m wondering is if it’s possible to plug the L30 into my sound card, take the two front speakers and plug them into the L30 preamp, and then I’ll have a selector between headphones and computer speakers, all working off my Xonar, via the Topping L30.

Is that possible?

Dec 23, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #335 of 506
I think that subwoofer has a build in amp with volume control? Then you can probably connect it to the L30. You need active speakers to connect to L30. Check if they are active.

Yeah, it’s rated at 280 watts, which seems massive for mediocre computer speakers. Each speaker is 35.3 watts, with the center being 39 and the sub being 100. That seems like an awful lot of power for what this is.

My above proposed setup was that I’d just get rid of the sub, center, and two rear speakers, and just use the front L and R. But what you’re saying makes more sense. After all, it’s specifically a preamp in the L30.

So how would that work, 3.5 to RCA from the Xonar to L30 and then RCA to 3.5 from the L30 preamp to Logitech subwoofer (amp)?

I don’t know a lot about cables. Do I have to worry about sound degradation or can I grab any $10 RCA cables from Amazon?

Dec 24, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #336 of 506
Depends where you order the L30. Be careful. Check with the shop if it's EU.
Doesn't matter if they get warm for as I know... non issue, unless you plan to put them in a closet where the heat can't get away.

Thx for your help :)

One more thing:

I just got my HD6xx delivered. Running them with my LG V40, Tidal MQA sounds way way better than Spotify Premium. Even tho i updated my Phone to Android 10 and MQA is no longer native... Tried for example with Roberta Flack's "The first time ever i saw your face".

On Spotify it's like she's singing in the far corner of the Hall. Her voice is really thin sounding. On Tidal it's like she's in my head. LOL her voice has more "body"?

The old recording noise which is characteristic is greater or Spotify too.

Btw, i cannot max the Volume on Tidal, cuz my ears would blow out, but i still think the hd6xx are npt playing to it's full potential and the L30 would help.

My question is: the L30/E30 Stack has no MQA support... Will i lose out on quality, or will it still sound better than Spotify because songs have a higher bitrate on Tidal?

Thx

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #337 of 506
7.jpg
6.jpg

Just got an email, Apos has L30 and E30 in blue and red! Excited to see new colors finally

Dec 24, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #338 of 506
QUOTE="Mshenay, post: 16058597, member: 292497"]

Just got an email, Apos has L30 and E30 in blue and red! Excited to see new colors finally
[/QUOTE]

The red one looks sexy as hell :astonished:

Let's hope Amazon get's those too. Not eager to pay import duties over Apos

Dec 26, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #340 of 506
I feel no shock in my ear. Although, sometimes I use my phones as a defibrillator, but only on special occasions. :wink:

Dec 26, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #341 of 506
I feel no shock in my ear. Although, sometimes I use my phones as a defibrillator, but only on special occasions. :wink:

at which vol position the P1 / P2 can be driven on your experience?
Wait.... "I use my phones as a defibrillator" I dont understand this.. :)

Dec 29, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #343 of 506
I purchased my Topping E30 / Topping L30 stack November 10, from Amazon from seller SHENZHENAUDIO. The Topping L30 amplifier amplifier was only $118.99 on sale. However, I had to return my Topping L30 amplifier to Amazon today. It malfunctioned and destroyed the drivers in my Sony headphones. The headphone drivers were making crackling and popping noises on my ears. I unplugged them but too late and now they are fried. This is a darned shame because the Topping L30 made most every headphone sound very good compared to many other $100 amps. The Topping L30 made my Sony MDR-CD780 sound better than any headphone I have ever heard in my life. No other amp has ever done this. I am tempted to get another or possibly try get the Topping A90. (Stay FAR away from Chi-Fi!) This is not the first time I have been burned by buying poorly made Chinese electronics. I once purchased a $500 DAC that only lasted three months. Luckily the Topping E30 DAC still functions and sounds great. (Returned this cheap Chi-Fi as well.)
IMG_9091.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #344 of 506
I purchased my Topping E30 / Topping L30 stack November 10, from Amazon from seller SHENZHENAUDIO. The Topping L30 amplifier amplifier was only $118.99 on sale. However, I had to return my Topping L30 amplifier to Amazon today. It malfunctioned and destroyed the drivers in my Sony headphones. The headphone drivers were making crackling and popping noises on my ears. I unplugged them but too late and now they are fried. This is a darned shame because the Topping L30 made most every headphone sound very good compared to many other $100 amps. The Topping L30 made my Sony MDR-CD780 sound better than any headphone I have ever heard in my life. No other amp has ever done this. I am tempted to get another or possibly try get the Topping A90. This is not the first time I have been burned by buying poorly made Chinese electronics. I once purchased a $500 DAC that only lasted three months. Luckily the Topping E30 DAC still functions and sounds great.
IMG_9091.jpg

So how can this happen? Didn't you just have the volume too loud?

Dec 30, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #345 of 506
So how can this happen? Didn't you just have the volume too loud?
I don't know the cause. I think it was just poor quality electronics.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back