ThieAudio Legacy Series IEMs
Jul 9, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #856 of 1,778
Soundstageluvr said:
I just ordered the YBF-ISS014 from Amazon. Did I make the right choice? If you had to choose between urbanfun and blon03, which would you choose?
@IEMusic
Both! Two fantastic earphones for under 100 bucks... No Brainer.

Now, having listened to both, I fully agree, but with the caveat that I highly recommend purchasing the UF from Amazon where exchanges/returns are easy.

Given the price, the BL03 is sort of a no-brainer purchase. If nothing else, to hear what all the fuss is about. (Actually, if you already have the L3, the BL03 has a very similar tuning. The L3 is superior in almost every way, IMHO, except if you want more bass or the very natural timbre of only a DD, which the BL03 excels at.)

The UF is not as simple of a decision. It’s more expensive, and since it seems that only the beryllium versions are available right now, the prerequisite is that one MUST LOVE BASS in order for the UF to be a worthwhile purchase. The bass is so potent and textured. It is definitely a unique experience.

Jul 9, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #857 of 1,778
Hi everyone, I just got these and don't quite know which one is left and which one is right. I can't seem to find any writing that says so on the iems. Is there anyway to tell?

Jul 9, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #858 of 1,778
Hi everyone, I just got these and don't quite know which one is left and which one is right. I can't seem to find any writing that says so on the iems. Is there anyway to tell?

If this is your first IEM, then yeah it might be a little confusing! The nozzle of the IEM should be to the “frontside” of the IEM if it’s in your ear, and with the cable naturally draping over the back of your ear. Make sure you have the cable connector pins correct too, they should have light L/R inscriptions on them.

I believe the right side has the SN and name of the IEM inscribed too. Above all else, it should feel right. You’ll clearly know if it’s on the wrong side after playing around a bit.

@Banbeucmas I’m getting flashbacks :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #859 of 1,778
If this is your first IEM, then yeah it might be a little confusing! The nozzle of the IEM should be to the “frontside” of the IEM if it’s in your ear, and with the cable naturally draping over the back of your ear. Make sure you have the cable connector pins correct too, they should have light L/R inscriptions on them. Above all else, it should feel right. You’ll clearly know if it’s on the wrong side after playing around a bit.

LOL I had to pretty much do that. I also looked at my MD+ iems to see if the cable and shape of the iem curve the same way. The L/R labeling on the cable is really hard to view

Jul 9, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #860 of 1,778
Got these a couple of days ago. They sound amazing. Had to switch the tips out for Spinfits.

Though all is not perfect, there's driver flex on the right iem every time I insert it in my ear or adjust mid listen. Not sure if this is any cause for concern and I don't believe that it's affecting audio quality. If I return them I won't be able to get any since none are in stock on Amazon here.

Jul 9, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #861 of 1,778
Come on, give me a break smh

At least this is psuedo custom so you can try to find them out by putting them into your ears

Jul 10, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #863 of 1,778
Listening to Tchaikovsky Romeo and Juliette is a joy on this earphones. I play Violin and these are great for a monitor. The switch seems to do almost nothing for me. Am going to sell my Moondrop. Are there any other earphones that have this signature but better fit?

Yes, Penon ORB.

Jul 10, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #865 of 1,778
Someone mentioned the CFA Atlas, which I also have, and I have to agree that L3 has much better tuning for all-around listen. On my ZX300 I'd grab for L3 over Atlas anytime. I'm not finding my L3 having difficulty with technicalities.

I haven't been able to get it (Atlas) to sound how reviews described it. I don't recall who I saw reviews this, but it said a poor man u12t which I also have and he's a good reviewer 😊 Japanese audio shops have just started carrying Chinese earphones or I did not notice them before. I do now

Jul 10, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #866 of 1,778
I haven't been able to get it (Atlas) to sound how reviews described it. I don't recall who I saw reviews this, but it said a poor man u12t which I also have and he's a good reviewer 😊 Japanese audio shops have just started carrying Chinese earphones or I did not notice them before. I do now

Atlas changes alot depending on tips, cable, and source much like L3. In general Atlas is more aggressive with bold nature. With some eq, Atlas became more tolerable for me. With L3, I don't need eq. Bass is plentiful yet doesnt feel overbearing.

Jul 10, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #867 of 1,778
I'm not finding my L3 having difficulty with technicalities.
Neither am I, and I personally don’t understand the comments about it’s problems with technicalities. One so-called technicality is micro detail retrieval. I really do think many people mix clarity of tuning with detail, which can be very difficult to differentiate, and I’m only recently able to notice the difference. The L3 is not offensive sounding, and doesn’t have any boosted “clarity“ peaks, but I can still here the subtle micro details that I listen for on my favorite test tracks. It seems like the U12t suffers from the same critique. It also has a very pleasant overall tuning, w/o dramatically boosted frequencies, and there are several members who feel that it lacks detail retrieval. I just received a new IEM that also has a very pleasant and inoffensive tuning. I initially thought that it too lacked detail retrieval, but upon further listening, I‘m hearing subtle details in my favorite tracks that i’ve actually never heard before, including on much more expensive IEMs. It’s quite astounding, but I need more time to listen to them.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #868 of 1,778
I don't recall who I saw reviews this, but it said a poor man u12t which I also have and he's a good reviewer 😊
I think BGGAR mentioned that a couple of times in the comments of his videos, as did some other commenters.

Jul 10, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #869 of 1,778
I don't recall who I saw reviews this, but it said a poor man u12t which I also have and he's a good reviewer 😊

It might have been me... I've compared it to the u12t. It has similar tonality and measures pretty similarly too.

I actually just got the CIEM version this week. It looks great, and is very comfortable. It's a shallower fit and so my seal isnt the best unfortunately. I've patched it up by wrapping the nozzle with some first aid tape (kinda like band-aid material) and that fixes my bass leak issue. The CIEM version sounds much better. Clearer, crisper, has smoother lower treble (no more 4-5KHz dip) and better upper treble extension.

Here's a photo of the L3 ciem with my Viento CIEM in the middle. You can see its a little shorter and smaller.

20200708_163949.jpg

P1040325.JPGP1040334.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #870 of 1,778
It might have been me... I've compared it to the u12t. It has similar tonality and measures pretty similarly too.

I actually just got the CIEM version this week. It looks great, and is very comfortable. It's a shallower fit and so my seal isnt the best unfortunately. I've patched it up by wrapping the nozzle with some first aid tape (kinda like band-aid material) and that fixes my bass leak issue. The CIEM version sounds much better. Clearer, crisper, has smoother lower treble (no more 4-5KHz dip) and better upper treble extension.

Here's a photo of the L3 ciem with my Viento CIEM in the middle. You can see its a little shorter and smaller.
Beautiful! That’s right, you also compared it to the U12t.

I’ve never tried the first-aid tape mod for a better CIEM seal. Other mods I have tried are using dental wax to coat the nozzles of the CIEMs. Just add as much as needed to get a good seal. This is comfortable, and adds lubrication, but it can be messy, and you have to wipe off the wax and replace it periodically, o/w it’s gross.

Another thing I did is I cored out the center of Dekoni Bulletz Mercury foam ear tips, then placed the foam over the CIEM nozzles, and it really seals things up very well. It also keeps the seal if I smile, talk, (do anything that breaks the seal, especially of my right ear) so no loss of seal when active. I did this instead of purchasing Comply Wraps.
4B89CDD0-E00B-40F7-9BFA-792CDD5CE56D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back