The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #6,421 of 11,341
  I've not compared the 1.5 kHz and the 3 khz directly.  But when I had it around for review, at the 3.1 kHz - 3.4 kHz iirc, there was a significant increase in perceived loudness.  Taking this to the measurement mic, it was about a 7-8 dB increase there.  Hence, a measurable peak.

*Yes, did some incremental listening via REW's generator.

Oh dear, that is substantial. Hopefully the bass is good enough that only an 8db eq range is required or else it may not be any better for me than my T1(I use a minimum 15db eq range on it)... I guess I'd better measure/eq/balance them to my ears as soon as I get them so I know if I should return them or not. Thankfully it seems burn in is not especially long.

Has anyone seen an independent waterfall or just frequency response graph for these?

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #6,422 of 11,341
Oh dear, that is substantial. Hopefully the bass is good enough that only an 8db eq range is required or else it may not be any better for me than my T1(I use a minimum 15db eq range on it)... I guess I'd better measure/eq/balance them to my ears as soon as I get them so I know if I should return them or not. Thankfully it seems burn in is not especially long.

Has anyone seen an independent waterfall or just frequency response graph for these?

It doesn't sound as bad as it looks lol

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #6,423 of 11,341

Thanks, I will try getting my hands on them.

some at a recent Canjam or RMAF, who also compared to some $$ Noble models, thought them to be as good or better.
of course there was no side by side done...but Celeste is their long awaited TOTL iem....we're all waiting for it.
you can change sound configs with filters etc (we can do that already with FLC 8S but not to same degree as expected with upcoming Celeste)

good overview and detailed comparison review here of FLC 8S, filters explained, sound etc.
Headphone list review
http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/flc-technology-flc8/

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #6,424 of 11,341

Not a shameless plug, but while we await Tyll's measurements, you could see mine.

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #6,425 of 11,341
  Not a shameless plug, but while we await Tyll's measurements, you could see mine.

Thanks for that, do you switch between your T1.1 and Z1R often?

I'm interested because I have a T1 with a model number just before the baffle change in the T1.1.
Properly eq'ed to bring up the bass and even out the treble and I find it wonderful.

Comparing the FR graphs in your review and the T1 that Tyll measured the sub-bass looks quite good to me.
I'll probably have to dip the 100Hz mark down a bit and then 2KHz, 3.3KHz as well, then add to 3KHz.
I'm happy to see that I won't have to compensate for the T1's strange suckout at 7KHz.
While the curve isn't as smooth as the T1 in the mid range it does look like it should be less of an eq range than the T1.

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #6,426 of 11,341
  Has anyone found a travel case for these yet?

Well, I actually bought one of those Pelican/Seahorse type cases (Monoprice) for these... transportable rather than portable I guess but I'd definitely like a bit of sturdiness for these guys...

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #6,427 of 11,341

Thanks for that, do you switch between your T1.1 and Z1R often?

I'm interested because I have a T1 with a model number just before the baffle change in the T1.1.
Properly eq'ed to bring up the bass and even out the treble and I find it wonderful.

Comparing the FR graphs in your review and the T1 that Tyll measured the sub-bass looks quite good to me.
I'll probably have to dip the 100Hz mark down a bit and then 2KHz, 3.3KHz as well, then add to 3KHz.
I'm happy to see that I won't have to compensate for the T1's strange suckout at 7KHz.
While the curve isn't as smooth as the T1 in the mid range it does look like it should be less of an eq range than the T1.

Since the review, I've had to return the Signature Series gear to Sony Singapore. :frowning2:

But yes, the T1 with the model number just before the baffle change (assuming 21k?) is excellent. I think the problem has traditionally been the fact that the T1 has a 1400 ohm electrical impedance in the 100 Hz region, so to really bring that bass out a powerful amp (balanced could help here) with sufficient voltage swing is needed.  Am reviewing the Feliks Audio Elise amp with it right now, and it is nothing short of excellent.  I'm finding the bass to be enveloping and responsive, and it's done some wonders. 

Now, I'm certain many will disagree, but personally for me, something like the T1/ HE-6 would be a more appropriate primary driver.  Z1R/ TH-900 would come in as a complement.  There are many things I like about the Z1R, but air and staging is important to me, and  open cans provide more of that.  As has been mentioned, Z1R is arguably one of the best, if not the best, closed headphone atm.   If you need that bass while maintaining good balanced tonal, the Z1R will do it, and I think that it has a multitude of strengths to that end.

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #6,428 of 11,341
I used to use an SPL Auditor with my 600ohm DT880 specifically for it's crazy voltage swing ability. You see them used from time to time, great amp and I remember reading (years back now) that it was highly regarded with the T1.

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #6,429 of 11,341
Just upgraded my cable....difference between stock and upgrade is significant..upgrade cable improves overall sound transparency and signature by around 10%-15%..makes phones somewhat darker but cleaner.

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #6,430 of 11,341
Just really, really enjoying the Z1R! Listening to some great electronica and everything about the signature of the Z1R is just right for my preferences. I use two smaller REL sub woofers with my speakers and the Z1R is able to provide the sub-bass presence I find music needs, any music that has the sub-bass information, not just electronica. For a frame of reference I make sure that my subs are integrated but not obvious in my speaker listening. I often have to go over and touch them to feel that they are on, but if I turn them off you can tell. I say that just so I don't come off as some crazy bass nut who pumps it up with two subs. I have heard systems where people have the subs way too high and it makes the music slow and unnatural sounding. Anyway, the Z1R I find recreates the sub bass experience of well integrated sub woofers, at least to my ears.

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #6,431 of 11,341
  Just really, really enjoying the Z1R! Listening to some great electronica and everything about the signature of the Z1R is just right for my preferences. I use two smaller REL sub woofers with my speakers and the Z1R is able to provide the sub-bass presence I find music needs, any music that has the sub-bass information, not just electronica. For a frame of reference I make sure that my subs are integrated but not obvious in my speaker listening. I often have to go over and touch them to feel that they are on, but if I turn them off you can tell. I say that just so I don't come off as some crazy bass nut who pumps it up with two subs. I have heard systems where people have the subs way too high and it makes the music slow and unnatural sounding. Anyway, the Z1R I find recreates the sub bass experience of well integrated sub woofers, at least to my ears.

How did you get the Z1R in Canada? 
Sony.ca?

My order through Sony.ca is still pending since Jan4th! 

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #6,433 of 11,341

How did you get the Z1R in Canada? 
Sony.ca?

My order through Sony.ca is still pending since Jan4th! 

I purchased from Jason at TSAV directly. They are able to sell into Canada as there is no real Canadian distributor yet. I would contact Jason and see what he says and if the numbers line up maybe consider cancelling the Sony.ca order. One word of advice, if you do end up ordering from anywhere in the US, do not under any circumstances go with UPS, insist on USPS. I always go USPS, but the last time I didn't I just accepted UPS. They charge you $100 simply to brokerage the package, which means they do essentially very little and make a ton of cash off of you. I have never had an issue with USPS before, the service is excellent in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back