The Kiwi ears Quintet Thread:
Jul 3, 2023 at 2:14 AM Post #16 of 330
Wow. Just read your review - excellent as ever! Now I'm torn. I was going to buy the Aful P8 due to it's balanced signature and technicalities (though soundstage seems a little smaller), but now I'm thinking the Quintet is the way to go.

As I have almost no knowledge of $500 iems, is it really comparable to models such as the SA6, variations etc?
Thank-you! :)

While the Quintet is maybe walking a line so critical, as the SA6 in many ways played it safe. Where in Quintet example, EDM may ever so slightly show how the hi-hats as too intense? That is a song by song feature, where in general it’s not and I don’t find it ever too bright?

But the low end is much more physical than the SA6. Also I simply find the over all balance slightly better than the SA6. As the stage is bigger, though compared to real TOTL Flagships there may be a slight congestion into how the instruments are separated. Where it’s really the issue with SA6, but somehow the Quintet flys by with only having that issue subtly, if at all. People that have the SA6 understand what I’m talking about. It’s just a side effect of having so many drivers, maybe? BAs have this omnidirectional distortion (a slight buzz) anyways as a product of their sound creations. That issue is bypassed with single full range DDs, only they present their own issues in other locals. That is why there is no perfect IEM. Yet the Quintet offers the heavy authority of a DD with the spacial properties of a Hybrid with the added (extra) addition of treble details from the Planar and Piezoelectric, adding a new thing that consumers have not had a chance to get ahold of........and at the $219.00.....it is simply unheard of.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #18 of 330
Forgot to ask. Did you test them direct from a phone (e.g. with apple dongle)? If so, were they ok to drive or do they need a bit more power?
So sorry I was incomplete in my review, I rushed to get it out. Yes, an Apple Dongle is fully authoritative in joining with the Quintet, showing almost the exact same tone as the regularly found DAP or Dongle playback. Though maybe a slightly less black background, but great none the less.

It totally gets loud enough with the Apple Dongle.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #19 of 330
Thanks. How would you rate the isolation? I do like the Orchestra Lite's isolation (the lack of vents has never bothered me) which I think is pretty good.
No, the isolation of the Quintet is in no way compatible to the Orchestra Lite, few are. I would call the Quintet isolation just so-so at best.

Thank-you, these are aspects I flew by while doing my review, I should maybe include them?

Jul 3, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #21 of 330
It looks like they mislabeled the PZT and planar drivers in the promotion images. Planar drivers are supposed to look like a membrane, right?
BF70075D-E9AE-4DC5-B685-010A9A343332.jpeg

The SPD drivers come in a small box? Probably to do with the outer support systems?

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #22 of 330
Thank-you, these are aspects I flew by while doing my review, I should maybe include them?
I don't think they are that necessary. I really liked your song walkthroughs. Though both tracks are a tad heavy for my tastes, at least I was able to go in and listen to the specific timings and hear what you were detailing. Very helpful.

Jul 3, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #23 of 330
It looks like they mislabeled the PZT and planar drivers in the promotion images. Planar drivers are supposed to look like a membrane, right?
The thing is I don’t need to see the drivers, I hear them, except I am not exactly sure of what they do, only the Quintet is subtly different sounding and better detailed in a way.

Jul 3, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #24 of 330
Forgot to ask. Did you test them direct from a phone (e.g. with apple dongle)? If so, were they ok to drive or do they need a bit more power?
No, I used an exact Apple Dongle purchased at an Apple Store by me. I'm not sure the model #, but the Quintet was fine, as you could get super loud. Also there was none of that strange slowness/fogginess of the bass when some IEMs are underpowered. More power is an interesting question, where I almost think the listener would appreciate a DAP due to blackness of background. I don't want to get into any Apple Dongle Wars here, just realize that unless you were an extreme loud listener could you even go full-tilt on the Quintet/Apple Dongle combo?

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #25 of 330
Obrigado!:)

Enquanto o Quinteto talvez esteja caminhando em uma linha tão crítica, já que o SA6 de muitas maneiras o segurou. Onde, no exemplo do quinteto, o EDM pode mostrar levemente como os chimbais são muito intensos? Esse é um recurso de música por música, onde em geral não é e eu não acho muito brilhante?

Mas o low-end é muito mais físico que o SA6. Além disso, simplesmente acho o equilíbrio geral um pouco melhor do que o SA6. Como o palco é maior, embora em comparação com Flagships TOTL reais, pode haver um leve congestionamento na forma como os instrumentos são separados. Onde é realmente o problema com o SA6, mas de alguma forma o Quinteto voa por ter apenas esse problema sutilmente, se é que existe. As pessoas que possuem o SA6 entendem do que estou falando. É apenas um efeito colateral de ter tantos motoristas, talvez? Os BAs têm essa distorção omnidirecional (um leve zumbido) de qualquer maneira como um produto de suas criações sonoras. Esse problema é contornado com DDs únicos de gama completa, apenas eles apresentam seus próprios problemas em outros locais. É por isso que não existe IEM perfeito.
Quando se fala deste ligeiro congestionamento é em relação ao Quinteto ou SA6

Jul 3, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #26 of 330
Hey, I am looking for opinions on Quintet vs Neo5 vs EST50 vs Juzear 41t. My SR8 is on thr way and also have IE900. What would be the best option in the arsenal?

Jul 3, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #30 of 330

Users who are viewing this thread

Back