The discovery thread!
May 9, 2024 at 2:19 AM Post #100,951 of 102,257
The Cadenza4 surprised me alot, must be one of the most refined neutral sets under $300. Didn't expect to enjoy it this much, being a warm tuning lover. But it has just enough warmth to balance the vocal presence, making it excellent for female vocals. Be it K-pop, K-pop or western artists like Lana Del Ray and Taylor Swift.

Been quite fatuiged last month, starting to feel better now. Hope to be able to write more again, love to review. But not easy when your tired every day after work, should help forward now 😊

On Cadenza4 now and R8 II, listening to CD2 on this album. Melodic metal.

https://tidal.com/album/52134268?u
1000039249.jpg

And for the ones interested my AüR Audio Aehta arrive tomorrow, feel like alot of time since they released the teaser. Not sure what to expect, had all their models. Now I only own the Ascension from them, been cutting down to keep less.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 2:24 AM Post #100,952 of 102,257
Thank you for the kind words. Yeah. We're both fine (seatbelt wearers), but we got rear-ended, and the vehicle might be a total? Though the perps insurance is covering most of the post accident bs, there's some things we have to cover ourselves, so no IEM purchases for a few.
Take care mate

May 9, 2024 at 2:42 AM Post #100,953 of 102,257
The upcoming AFUL EXPLORER - previously known in beta-testing as the Performer 3 - is releasing soon. I tested a pre-production unit at Can Jam Singapore, and the rep was saying it would be a sub-$100 USD IEM.

That was not the final tuning though, but the Can Jam unit sounded neutral with a sub-bass boost. Very balanced with good technicalities for a sub-$100 hybrid. Non-shouty upper mids, good extension at both ends. Very promising tuning, with just a nitpick of slight BA timbre. Fits well too.

AFUL has installed some resonating acoustic tube in this IEM, unlike a conventional acoustic tubing. If you recall the previous AFUL MagicOne, it had a special Nautilus labyrinth acoustic tube, which is an acoustic damper that operates via air pressure to down-throttle certain frequencies; this essentially results in an increased sub-bass resonance, much more than what a traditional single BA can execute.

Interesting to note that AFUL is employing some exotic tech once again in the Explorer, but of course, the proof is in the pudding for how it actually sounds in the ears.

https://www.facebook.com/AFULAudio/...Pstom4FSx9TPoY9gKfLqLhqBj9jbt2NLsDAHDW5888fhl

Yeah @Vonbuddy the Fiio FA19 is one of the best purchases I made this year. Warm neutral tuning with good note weight and excellent soundstage, imaging and layering. Not fatiguing to the ears too.

It has a bass boost switch to add some fun, but otherwise for an all-BA set, the bass doesn't sound like a BA bass due to the addition of a vented sub-woofer. So it doesn't sound thin compared to some all-BA sets which are "sterile".

I’ve been waiting for FiiO to release a successor to the FA9 for a long time, and I read your review and your comparison with IER-M9. But I have a very concrete question: how do the drums sound like here?

I’m asking because that 5kHz focus looks a bit scary, I’ve listened to some IEMs like that and they all seem to have the problem that the drum kit sounds all over the place in terms of positioning, as if there are two drummers in the stage, with some hits exploding right inside your head while others sound distant, almost meters away.

But sound is the sum of all parts and not just an isolated peak, so does the FA19 have this issue?

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #100,954 of 102,257
Thank you for the kind words. Yeah. We're both fine (seatbelt wearers), but we got rear-ended, and the vehicle might be a total? Though the perps insurance is covering most of the post accident bs, there's some things we have to cover ourselves, so no IEM purchases for a few.
Phew!
The Cadenza4 surprised me alot, must be one of the most refined neutral sets under $300. Didn't expect to enjoy it this much, being a warm tuning lover. But it has just enough warmth to balance the vocal presence, making it excellent for female vocals. Be it K-pop, K-pop or western artists like Lana Del Ray and Taylor Swift.

Been quite fatuiged last month, starting to feel better now. Hope to be able to write more again, love to review. But not easy when your tired every day after work, should help forward now 😊
<snip excellent reco>
And for the ones interested my AüR Audio Aehta arrive tomorrow, feel like alot of time since they released the teaser. Not sure what to expect, had all their models. Now I only own the Ascension from them, been cutting down to keep less.

I will believe that you are less fatigued only when I see that YouTube launch! Any chance you would be getting that I/o Volare for review or otherwise?
Have never heard ESTs and this price point of 600$ makes it attainable to an extent. Good raves in the YouTube world on em, thus far.

May 9, 2024 at 3:48 AM Post #100,955 of 102,257
BQEYZ Wind
BQEYZ Wind a.jpg

On stock cable (2.5mm balanced), on my burn in rig (2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter --> iPad, playing 2000's Hip Hop, via Pandora), for 20 hrs. What's the best way to convey my listening experience ?
The playback gives me flashbacks of working late in the office, when it's just me, waiting for a RAID array to rebuild itself and the only company that I have is my Discman and the cleaning crew. After listening to the "Blue Crush" soundtrack for the umpteenth time, I put away the Discman and only hear the droning of the commercial grade vacuums. And that's the most accurate analogy that comes to mind; it sucks. The playback sounded more like a hand held, mono speaker, am/fm radio, being played at full volume

I pretty much bought the Wind on @ToneDeafMonk review. For the soundstage :heavy_check_mark: , a resounding sub bass :heavy_check_mark: , a clean mid bass :heavy_check_mark: , natural vocals :heavy_check_mark:
& his qualifier, that the Wind requires power.

Do I think that the Wind is worth north of $200 ?
Not in today's ever advancing rollouts of hybrids and multi driver setups. But if you can get 'em on sale, for $150ish, that would be a big Yes!!!

The Wind (on sale) makes for an excellent gateway, into bone conduction done correctly. For Bassheads, the Wind is a more mature listening experience, versus a head banger like the 7hz Legato. The sub bass has just enough decay and chest thump, for you to know that the bone conduction is more than a gimmick.

Don't be too quick to write off - I wasn't particularly impressed with mine to start with, but did improve significantly with burn in.
Also had to do a lot of tip rolling to get the perfect fit to get the most out of the BC.
That said, I do use amped (currently in my ear powered by iFi Zen Can - Chris Isaak's vocals are stunning on this combo).

May 9, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #100,956 of 102,257
Phew!

I will believe that you are less fatigued only when I see that YouTube launch! Any chance you would be getting that I/o Volare for review or otherwise?
Have never heard ESTs and this price point of 600$ makes it attainable to an extent. Good raves in the YouTube world on em, thus far.
Doubt it on Volare, I bet it's awesome. But not sure it will give me something extra beside what Mega5EST and Ascension does.
The fatuige is why the video been delayed 😅

May 9, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #100,958 of 102,257

May 9, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #100,959 of 102,257
Thanks I appreciate it! It was more just a question out of curiosity to see what graphs similar to the Volume. I doubt I'll ever be able to move up to the Glacier price point but it could be a possibly used purchase if I save up awhile.
:v: I was in a hurry yesterday, so I forgot to mention: because the Glacier has more bass and treble, that ear gain and upper mids aren't going to sound the same in the end, leaving the Volume quite unique after all. :thinking:

May 9, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #100,960 of 102,257
Dang dudes, I'm so far behind, what's the hurry??

This album is beautiful

It’s also an excellent test for the “3D-ness” of your IEM and DAC/amp, perceived dynamic, bass quality, and quality of female vocals.

I’m a bit disappointed to find that the Pilgrim cannot match its sibling Gaea on any aspects that I index for. Amazing how much more Lee can squeeze out with one extra BA.
Gorgeous album indeed!

Do you EQ the Gaea or do you just embrace its shout?

Considering I also bought a Hiby R6 Pro II from classifieds it is an expensive month for sure tho!!
Haha, get used to months like this! No month will ever be the same as it was before you embarked the Headfi ship 🥲

May this message serve to thank all the brands and shops who have been so kind to me and who trust me, like so many other great reviewers on this thread, to do my humble reviews. Without all of them I would be nothing as a reviewer. Still, proud to be a portable audiophile and privileged as a reviewer.

Thanks to all of them.

Well put and I ought to put a similar post together sooner than later.

That’s a couple dozen Trios!!!
24 × 3DD = 72 dynamic drivers for the price of Voltage. You could basically open your own nightclub with 72 DDs.

Price of AER supposedly $400 USD. Could be a killer.
Oh nice! If it's sufficiently different to the 109 Pro, I'll be all over it.

PENON VOLTAGE
4EST+4BA+2DD Hybrid with 2 Tuning Switches Flagship Audiophile In-ear Monitor
The earphone shell use medical grade resin, light and beautiful, comfortable to wear.
The universal mold structure has higher reliability and provides better wearing experience.
Fully handmade earphone is solid and more durable.
Introduction of Voltage 2 Dynamic Drivers
The two independent 8mm Dynamic Drivers use fiber composite biofilms plus flexible hanging edge diaphragms. The characteristics of the high damping of biofilms ensure that the Dynamic Drivers will not produce additional resonance due to split vibration at medium and high frequencies, and at the same time bring smooth and natural timbre features.
2 Tuning Switches, tuning modes
12: High Frequency & Low Frequency Enhancement
10: Low Frequency Enhancement
02: High Frequency Enhancement
00: Original mode
US$1199.00
That blood red resin is very attractive looking.
Yeah the red is nice and all, and I bet it sounds alright, but does this warrant 1200USD nowadays? Not so sure ... I know I wouldn't be spending anything north of 1kUSD for a simple resin shell in the first place.

May 9, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #100,961 of 102,257
This album is beautiful

It’s also an excellent test for the “3D-ness” of your IEM and DAC/amp, perceived dynamic, bass quality, and quality of female vocals.

I’m a bit disappointed to find that the Pilgrim cannot match its sibling Gaea on any aspects that I index for. Amazing how much more Lee can squeeze out with one extra BA.
This game is even more beautiful.

May 9, 2024 at 5:23 AM Post #100,962 of 102,257
May 9, 2024 at 5:24 AM Post #100,963 of 102,257
This game is even more beautiful.
The discovery-gaming thread!

I would recommend to try SIFU, impressive OST, beautiful gameplay.

Ive been enjoying it with my OH700 from ORIVETI (review is close to be posted). The hits and punches with the subbass performance on the 700... lovely

May 9, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #100,964 of 102,257
Dang dudes, I'm so far behind, what's the hurry??

Gorgeous album indeed!

Do you EQ the Gaea or do you just embrace its shout?

Haha, get used to months like this! No month will ever be the same as it was before you embarked the Headfi ship 🥲

Well put and I ought to put a similar post together sooner than later.

24 × 3DD = 72 dynamic drivers for the price of Voltage. You could basically open your own nightclub with 72 DDs.

Oh nice! If it's sufficiently different to the 109 Pro, I'll be all over it.

Yeah the red is nice and all, and I bet it sounds alright, but does this warrant 1200USD nowadays? Not so sure ... I know I wouldn't be spending anything north of 1kUSD for a simple resin shell in the first place.
Well it is like production of new pair of shoe examples. Being that yes we have a single review out, and it may take a few reviews to obtain what the value reality ultimately is? Sure part is a subjective reality (like due the design of how the shoes fit your feet) then there is an objective reality to where....how does the Voltage go up against the current TOTL Flagships. This thread isn't really for the style of money asked for the Voltage. I'm mean sure there are a few members who sport over 1K IEMs, but this is not really the place for it. As such you're going to find a skeptical slant that simply shows a few fish out of water. :)

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 5:31 AM Post #100,965 of 102,257
KZ Marge
($14, 1 x 10mm SuperLinear DD, 1 x 8mm DD)
https://www.kztws.com/products/kz-merga

---
Huh, not as cheap as i expect. Surprisingly, it seems they didn't cut down the DD.
it seems Marge uses ZSN2's 10mm DD, Trio's 8mm DD, and still uses proper crossover.
i suppose the cut down in places that didn't directly affect the sound like the removing the metal faceplate and foamies

which makes the 1DD, $15, KZ Libra which supposedly uses the same 10mm DD in odd position.
not to mention this is cannibalizing Castor segment tough this Marge might equipped with a DD upgrade

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back