The discovery thread!
May 9, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #100,981 of 102,235
0565F408-8A1A-4C74-9B3B-4FE2E5917AEF.jpeg

Unique Melody 3DT (aka TERMINATOR).

Big thank you to @Neweymatt for letting me borrow his personal unit and grumpy pepe @grumpy213 for sending the IEM over.

Years ago when I was wet behind the ears, I wanted to blind buy this IEM from musicteck but I chickened out. I wouldn’t be disappointed if I went for it.

This IEM might be one of the first 3DD IEMs in the world (yes, it’s an old IEM). It has a tight, snappy, and dynamic presentation rather than big wooly and “analogue” like you would expect from 3DD and the wooden shells. The treble, likely 5kHz region, can flare up in some tracks, but fine with most of my library.

The upper treble extension is as expected behind the Anni 2023 and thus micro detail and the reverberation sound is not as apparent. But the details within the midrange is quite good.

The strength of this IEM besides the dynamic presentation is the wide stage and the unique way it shapes the stage. For example, when I watch an episode of big bang theory, it creates a strong impression that the laugh track (or live audience) is behind my ears to the back of my head.

Edit:
image.jpg

Nicer photo in daylight. This IEM has beautiful shells in real life. Given how I was very unimpressed by MEST III build, I’m surprised that it is this well done.

I looked for them with that shell, but I can't find them.

May 9, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #100,982 of 102,235
I looked for them with that shell, but I can't find them.
It’s stabilised wood. Every pair is unique.

Though it’s possible that UM has changed the design, since the current model on MusicTeck website looks different

May 9, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #100,984 of 102,235
OK, so a shipment is being sent within a week. I wonder if I still want the Moondrop Dawn Pro or if there's anything in a similar form factor that is available at either similar or CHEAPER that's worth a consideration.
There was a epz tp50 or some such.. Highly rated by @ToneDeafMonk

May 9, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #100,985 of 102,235
How does this sound on your favorite iems

May 9, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #100,987 of 102,235
I finally finished my ranking system, and have ranked several of the new KZs, the Tangzu Wan'er SG, and the AirPods Pro 2. I will add more earbuds and maybe headphones to this ranking over time. The scores are out of a maximum possible 108 points. As you can see, I focused mainly on my favorite genres and threw a few others into the mix for a more well-rounded approach. If you have a great "speaker test" song, suggest it and it may end up in the rankings!
Master IEM Scores

May 9, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #100,989 of 102,235
That IEM fits kinda weird though.

I think we need to call out IEMs with weird fit in the future. It's as if some engineers expect people to have dumbo's ears to wear their IEMs.
people like me with dumbo ears reading this
1715227456758.gif
I, like @theintention, feel called out for my big ears 😅
Indeed .. Great reviews on I/O Volare. Very intrigued. Slotting it into the New634earsflagship/Cantor/Volare category. One of em to be bought by the end of the year. Cantor will make the job easier by not appearing by then.
Ya I can see Cantor taking awhile longer to release. They probably want to demo it at a couple more CanJams before the final tuning.
Thank you for the kind words. Yeah. We're both fine (seatbelt wearers), but we got rear-ended, and the vehicle might be a total? Though the perps insurance is covering most of the post accident bs, there's some things we have to cover ourselves, so no IEM purchases for a few.
The number of people who still don't wear seatbelts always astounds me. Glad you're ok!
:v: I was in a hurry yesterday, so I forgot to mention: because the Glacier has more bass and treble, that ear gain and upper mids aren't going to sound the same in the end, leaving the Volume quite unique after all. :thinking:
I watched a review of the Glacier and between the fingerprint/micro scratch shell and MMCX I think I've pretty much ruled it out for me lol. Someone had mentioned the Softears Twilight and it looks very intriguing so I may keep my eyes peeled for a used pair in the future. Also the Dunu DaVinci graph looks great as well.
I cleaning house and find two ibasso it 01, it 03 and aurisonics asg1 plus. I have too much iem i need sell my fd5 for sure and other iem maybe too.
Is this the equivalent of finding change in your couch cushions? 😂

May 9, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #100,990 of 102,235
Thank you for the kind words. Yeah. We're both fine (seatbelt wearers), but we got rear-ended, and the vehicle might be a total? Though the perps insurance is covering most of the post accident bs, there's some things we have to cover ourselves, so no IEM purchases for a few.
Glad to hear you're both doing well, physically.

But don't minimize the trauma of the impact and the aftermath. I've watched a lot of "Judge Judy" and "The People's Court", so I feel well steeped in my belief that you'll need a way to release this ever escalating PTSD and the only possible relief will come from the $1.2 K, Penon Voltage; which the guilty party's insurance company should fully reimburse you for. 👿

May 9, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #100,991 of 102,235
Day 2 with the DC-Elite and the only thing I miss about the RU7 is the weight. Need to get a longer USB-C cable!

I’m just floored with this dongle. Obviously I’m still deep in the honeymoon phase, but this thing is so good I really doubt I need to buy any other amp/dac unless I get a TOTL over ear… even then I’m not sure.

truly impressive stuff.

IMG_7612.jpeg

Rose Technics QT-X will be here today! Will be doing a review for it.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #100,992 of 102,235
Day 2 with the DC-Elite and the only thing I miss about the RU7 is the weight. Need to get a longer USB-C cable!

I’m just floored with this dongle. Obviously I’m still deep in the honeymoon phase, but this thing is so good I really doubt I need to buy any other amp/dac unless I get a TOTL over ear… even then I’m not sure.

truly impressive stuff.
I never got RU7 from the company via Aliexpress and was refunded. If this is better I might consider it. I was disappointed that the transaction failed because I only paid $188 for the RU7.

May 9, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #100,993 of 102,235
I never got RU7 from the company via Aliexpress and was refunded. If this is better I might consider it. I was disappointed that the transaction failed because I only paid $188 for the RU7.
The RU7 is a mighty fine dongle, especially at $188! It’s got a few quirks but the sound it produces is lovely, lush warm analog tone.

The DC-Elite is more neutral in comparison, I would not say bright but it trades the analog feel from the RU7 for improved soundstage and a much more dynamic presentation. Bass is tighter and punchier, treble is shinier and has better roll off, and I really cannot overstate how impressive I find the soundstage DCE presents. Listening to Joe Hisaishi this morning was a revelation.

There is a high/low gain switch on RU7, DCE trades that for a 4 step attenuator that reduces the dB by one each time.

I noticed far more noise on the RU7 when doing things like typing on a phone or changing the volume… there is a slight hiss on DCE when you change the volume but it’s much less of an issue.

Also, it’s just heavier. It really must be stated, this tiny little dongle is as heavy as a DAP probably. You won’t have the DCE hanging from a cable like you can other dongles.

using it between devices is easy as pie as well, and you can change the volume on windows settings when it’s connected.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #100,994 of 102,235
The EPZ Q1 Pro is quite a looker! You can find them on sale around $30 and they are a great ultra-budget option. Solid resin build and inoffensive tuning. Review up now on Headfi and my blog.
1000020494.jpg
Funnily enough, I just got these in last night and honestly, for $30, not only do they sound fantastic, but the build quality of the shells and the included cable put some way more expensive sets to shame.

These are pretty great for a vocal forward, slightly intimate budget choice for sure!

May 9, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #100,995 of 102,235
Funnily enough, I just got these in last night and honestly, for $30, not only do they sound fantastic, but the build quality of the shells and the included cable put some way more expensive sets to shame.

These are pretty great for a vocal forward, slightly intimate budget choice for sure!
My thoughts exactly! Build quality is superb for even sets below $200. The cable is ok for me but definitely better than a lot of sub $50 sets. Vocals do sound intimate but still engaging and it's a great option for a somewhat relaxing listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back