Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #1,111 of 1,177
I got a very good deal on these headphones and I am thinking of parring them with Cayin RU6.

Hows that idea?
- I really need a good cheap portable setup
They need very little power. I have no idea what the output power is like with that dongle but, I wouldn't prioritize power for the mdr-1am2, I have an IEM thats far more demanding. With my Go Blu using 3.5mm its very loud at about 30-40% volume. I hear the RU6 is a great sounding device.

Nov 9, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #1,112 of 1,177
The most boomy and bloated headphones I ever heard, I can't understand how anyone can like these, I sent them back to Amazon day after I got them.
Sony 1AM2? Really?'

They need very little power. I have no idea what the output power is like with that dongle but, I wouldn't prioritize power for the mdr-1am2, I have an IEM thats far more demanding. With my Go Blu using 3.5mm its very loud at about 30-40% volume. I hear the RU6 is a great sounding device.
Thats great news. thanks! :)

I think I want this one since it does not have a battery and it is powerful.
https://centrance.com/dacport-hd/

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #1,113 of 1,177
I tried the Meze 99. It was horrible. I did not like it at all. The 109 Pro was very good though

I hope this 1AM2 is better than the Meze 99 Neo/Classic

Nov 9, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #1,114 of 1,177
The most boomy and bloated headphones I ever heard, I can't understand how anyone can like these, I sent them back to Amazon day after I got them.

I understand why I very much like them over "boomy and bloated headphones" like Beats. I like Sony's house sound for general consumers like me - enjoying my music without worrying about EQ.

Nov 9, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #1,115 of 1,177
I understand why I very much like them over "boomy and bloated headphones" like Beats. I like Sony's house sound for general consumers like me - enjoying my music without worrying about EQ.
Compared to the beats the 1am2 sounds like a susvara.

You should see what the vzr one sounds like.

Like a boomier, more bloated version of the beats with unusually recessed mids that they claim makes the headphone sound more 3D with their patented acoustic lens tech invented by a former apple engineer that worked heavily on beats headphones.

Well you can already guess what it sounds like if you've heard the beats studio headphones.

Nov 9, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #1,116 of 1,177
You should see what the vzr one sounds like.

Like a boomier, more bloated version of the beats with unusually recessed mids that they claim makes the headphone sound more 3D with their patented acoustic lens tech invented by a former apple engineer that worked heavily on beats headphones.

Well you can already guess what it sounds like if you've heard the beats studio headphones.
Oddly, this is interesting 🤔

From digital trends: "The basic sound quality lives up to the “audiophile” label. It provides a wider audio landscape that better balances booming bass and sharp treble. When listening to music with it, the bass is forceful, but it never overpowers the higher frequencies. It’s always a tricky balance to strike, but VZR has done an admirable job here."

I'm confused by the use of the words 'basic' and 'audiophile' in a single sentence. Even more so with what forceful bass sounds like.

Nov 9, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #1,117 of 1,177
Oddly, this is interesting 🤔

From digital trends: "The basic sound quality lives up to the “audiophile” label. It provides a wider audio landscape that better balances booming bass and sharp treble. When listening to music with it, the bass is forceful, but it never overpowers the higher frequencies. It’s always a tricky balance to strike, but VZR has done an admirable job here."

I'm confused by the use of the words 'basic' and 'audiophile' in a single sentence. Even more so with what forceful bass sounds like.
Lol right because digitaltrends is an audiophile centric site that knows about hifi audio.

Listen to it and lmkif you think i was exaggerating.

Nov 12, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #1,118 of 1,177
Unfortunately I gave these headphone back as I got them. Missing cables.

Initially I was going for something better than Meze99/Classic. Sivga Robin 021 was an easy win. Only thing missing is inline/microphone for phone calls.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #1,119 of 1,177
Tested these headphones against 7 pair of Bluetooth phones at the same listening station, at a local Best Buy...
Not going into what headphones, just know they are the latest/top from the usual suspects.
No contest, all set to highres music, these smoked the others.. Yes, these are not BT, don't have NC and just straight drivers, but boy does BT have a long way to go..
👍
Maybe the $700 plus dollar BT's have a chance, but I doubt it..

Dec 20, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #1,120 of 1,177
Tested these headphones against 7 pair of Bluetooth phones at the same listening station, at a local Best Buy...
Not going into what headphones, just know they are the latest/top from the usual suspects.
No contest, all set to highres music, these smoked the others.. Yes, these are not BT, don't have NC and just straight drivers, but boy does BT have a long way to go..
👍
Maybe the $700 plus dollar BT's have a chance, but I doubt it..
I like them a lot, I listen to a lot of very bassy electronic music and the 1am2 really thump.

Dec 22, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #1,122 of 1,177
I'd say it depends on how BT is implemented and that can make a rather big difference :wink:
Agree..
They'll get there eventually...
I was amazed at the gap currently, although BT has come a long way.
Just from memory, even my airpod Max fall quite short. It's the symbol sheen, note decay, bass overtones, timbre of the instrument. This is heard best in the richness in the lower piano keys..
Very impressive headphones, it's all there.
👍

Dec 22, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #1,123 of 1,177
Agree..
They'll get there eventually...
I was amazed at the gap currently, although BT has come a long way.
Just from memory, even my airpod Max fall quite short. It's the symbol sheen, note decay, bass overtones, timbre of the instrument. This is heard best in the richness in the lower piano keys..
Very impressive headphones, it's all there.
👍

BT headphones have their own DAC/AMP system inside, I'd say most of the issue comes from here.

Dec 23, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #1,124 of 1,177
BT headphones have their own DAC/AMP system inside, I'd say most of the issue comes from here.

That's true to quite an extent, but some effort put into BT receivers pays off too :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 23, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #1,125 of 1,177
I often use my mdr-1am2 and Sennheiser hd25 with an IFI Go Blu, it sounds great. Bluetooth at it's best is very good, using LDAC with a wireless DAC/amp sounds very similar to connecting the device by cable. Comparing them to wireless headphones that have ANC is a little unfair as those are cancelling sound while also playing your tunes, the ANC is what they're for, its not just an occasionally handy feature. They deliver a balance of effective noise cancelling, useful features and decent sound for the money, a wired headphone just has to sound good. I use a Sony wh-xm4 just for air travel, a regular wired headphone won't be much use on a long flight, the mdr-1am2 in particular doesn't have good isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back