Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
May 10, 2024 at 3:02 AM Post #2,851 of 2,953
I assure you there is no bass roll off on Mentor nor is it lacking in any bass. Not saying anything about MJ3 just that is a very strange take saying Mentor has bass roll off.
I agree with your assessment. The Mentor is linear down to 20Hz as you would expect from an amp at this quality. The guy's impressions must either come from his DAC or some deceiving direct comparisons to other amps.

May 10, 2024 at 3:10 AM Post #2,852 of 2,953
I have felt for a long time that if someone were to ask me what the Schiit Sound is, I would say it's sound of saving money. But also a very powerful bottom end and dynamic sound.

I have no problem believing any Schiit, including m3, has more apparent bass than most headphone amps.

May 10, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #2,853 of 2,953
I have felt for a long time that if someone were to ask me what the Schiit Sound is, I would say it's sound of saving money. But also a very powerful bottom end and dynamic sound.

I have no problem believing any Schiit, including m3, has more apparent bass than most headphone amps.
Sure, but more apparent bass on Schiit amps does not mean sub-bass roll off on a neutral/linear amp. Extension and quantity are two different things.

May 10, 2024 at 3:29 AM Post #2,854 of 2,953
Sure, but more apparent bass on Schiit amps does not mean sub-bass roll off on a neutral/linear amp. Extension and quantity are two different things.
exactly. You can praise Mjolnir without straight slandering Mentor.

May 10, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #2,855 of 2,953
exactly. You can praise Mjolnir without straight slandering Mentor.
Certainly no slandering slack, no one has yet to say that they flat out don’t like the mentor lol funny thing is that regarding both amps I’ve only seen this one guy say he didn’t like the MJ3 actually (although i wasn’t a comparative opinion, just straight up MJ3 stuff) lol but this is all subjective stuff you know, I only took that guys impressions as in comparison to MJ3. I am glad that there are more comparative impressions out there, it really helps the community. Now bringing up measurements is a slippery slope lol i try not yo get into all that, but his objective take on the mentor stemmed only from his subjective thoughts you know, he heard what he believed to be a slight roll off and then measured I’m guessing. Apples to oranges though, i assure you. The mentor holds its place, and that’s not changing anytime soon.

May 10, 2024 at 5:36 AM Post #2,856 of 2,953
The thing is, the mentor isn’t an answer for MJ3 and Vice Versa. However, Flux seems to have an answer with the M-Field. We compare the mentor and MJ3 only because they co-exist and price to performance, but they seem to be 2 completely different approaches. This hobby will do it though, we have no boundaries lol hell if you leave it to us, we’d compare any two amps, like who cares if that amps entire left channel is fried let’s put them head to head lol

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #2,857 of 2,953
The thing is, the mentor isn’t an answer for MJ3 and Vice Versa. However, Flux seems to have an answer with the M-Field. We compare the mentor and MJ3 only because they co-exist and price to performance, but they seem to be 2 completely different approaches. This hobby will do it though, we have no boundaries lol
Ultimately they are all three class A headamps with the same price tag, that's why they are so much compared. Even the approaches are not thaat much different - aka dual mono :). At least that's why I ended up oscilating between them.

But one can't really make a mistake with any of them, that's the good side.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #2,858 of 2,953
I get bored of sound signatures over time and need a variety of sounds. The MJ3 and Mentor is significantly different in their presentation so it’s literally comparing Apple to oranges. Having both is good.

MJ3 would be a good comparison to the M field or one of the tube amps of similar pricing.

May 10, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #2,859 of 2,953
I do love my MJ3 amp. But the Aegis tube amp seems to be calling my name. LOL Am I headed deep down a rabbit hole here? Very possible. I think my audio disease is going terminal. :L3000:

Tubes are magical and have that vocal realism that only the best of SS amps like the MK465 can reproduce. Best part is that you don't even need the Aegis for that, even a similarly priced tube amp like my Forge provides that quality easily, but Aegis is such a versatile amp though and worth more than 2x the price of my Forge with much better output transformers to boot

May 10, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #2,860 of 2,953
The thing is, the mentor isn’t an answer for MJ3 and Vice Versa. However, Flux seems to have an answer with the M-Field. We compare the mentor and MJ3 only because they co-exist and price to performance, but they seem to be 2 completely different approaches. This hobby will do it though, we have no boundaries lol hell if you leave it to us, we’d compare any two amps, like who cares if that amps entire left channel is fried let’s put them head to head lol
All good, Quawn.
I am certainly curious where M-Field falls.

May 10, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #2,861 of 2,953
I get bored of sound signatures over time and need a variety of sounds. The MJ3 and Mentor is significantly different in their presentation so it’s literally comparing Apple to oranges. Having both is good.

MJ3 would be a good comparison to the M field or one of the tube amps of similar pricing.
I think everyone should at least spend a day listening to a quality tube amp. They do sound good, especially amps in the $1500 up range.

May 10, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #2,862 of 2,953
All good, Quawn.
I am certainly curious where M-Field falls.
Yea once the M-field comes out i think it’ll be the amp that gets compared more to MJ3. Mentor is tuned differently, good news is that people have the mentor beating the Vio V550 which is tuned similarly at about double the price, that’s big. My MJ3 is sounding warmer to my ears these days, i think a big part of it is the BF2, i really need to get my hands on an yggy, I think the MIB will give the MJ3 the perfect balance. I heard the combo at canjam but the floor was a bit noisy.

May 10, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #2,863 of 2,953
Yea once the M-field comes out i think it’ll be the amp that gets compared more to MJ3. Mentor is tuned differently, good news is that people have the mentor beating the Vio V550 which is tuned similarly at about double the price, that’s big. My MJ3 is sounding warmer to my ears these days, i think a big part of it is the BF2, i really need to get my hands on an yggy, I think the MIB will give the MJ3 the perfect balance. I heard the combo at canjam but the floor was a bit noisy.
You and me both, lol. I will be placing my order for a Yggdrasil next year. :wink:

May 10, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #2,864 of 2,953
BF2 doesn’t really sound warmer, though it sounds richer / thicker / meatier than a strictly neutral DAC. I switched from the BF2 to a Yggdrasil LIM and there’s definitely a little less thickness to the sound. Have no idea if the MIB keeps the BF2 thickness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back