Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
May 9, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #2,836 of 2,952
I do love my MJ3 amp. But the Aegis tube amp seems to be calling my name. LOL Am I headed deep down a rabbit hole here? Very possible. I think my audio disease is going terminal. :L3000:
The Aegis looks good, and we are all forever falling deeper down that rabbit hole! I am interested in it as well, but I am leaning towards upgrading my DAC next year vs buying a Tube amp. Also, the Aegis' weight might require me to buy a equipment rack to put beside my desk.:sweat_smile:

May 9, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #2,837 of 2,952
I am still hopeful that Jason will figure out a power solution for the Valhalla 3 though. It would be interesting to see how that turns out, and at what price point it starts at. Depending on price, I might order one along with a Yggdrasil next year. I just feel the need to have a bigger pile of Schiit on my desk.

May 9, 2024 at 7:22 AM Post #2,838 of 2,952
1000000398.jpg

Plenty of breathing room now, and stays on 24/7. My new interconnects arrive later today as well. 😁

May 9, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #2,839 of 2,952
IMO the Cyan 2 is a class above the other two DACs. The Ares has large images and nice R2R tone, but compared to the Cyan 2 it sounds diffuse and too smooth, unrefined. The Cyan 2 dials up clarity, dynamics and focus to next level. It also improves on soundstage depth and overall separation/clarity. All of this with the same natural R2R sound. It is an immediately obvious improvement which promptly made me sell my Pegasus.

I have not heard of the Cyan 2 DAC but it looks very interesting. Just got the Gungnir so I think I'm good for a while though. Given all the hype I'd love to find a Mjolnir 3 someday.

May 9, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #2,840 of 2,952
I have not heard of the Cyan 2 DAC but it looks very interesting. Just got the Gungnir so I think I'm good for a while though. Given all the hype I'd love to find a Mjolnir 3 someday.
I hope you enjoy your new Gungnir! That is the DAC I originally wanted, but I was unable to purchase it while it was still in production. Hence my Bifrost 2/64 purchase (got it at a slight discount under B-stock). I am not a 2nd hand market enthusiast otherwise I would have snagged one :wink: . How do you like it over your Bifrost 2?

May 9, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #2,841 of 2,952
I just got a response from another member who’s owned both mentor and mj3 and here’s what he had to say. It’s really rare to hear from people who’ve owned both so i decided to share. IMG_3843.jpeg
I too think the complaints of the mentor lacking in bass is due to its design. It’s really hard to design an amp that has good kick and a stage as wide as the mentors. Hence the MJ3 having a smaller stage. I for one need my bass and wont have it any other way lol it’s weird because before burn in, i was skeptical about the MJ3’s bass. Now after burn-in is a completely different story, is impactful and reaches down as deep as necessary. That and the treble has become super smooth, some recordings can get a bit hot at times but I’m now certain that it’s the nature of the recording and not the MJ3. I am now more content than ever with my MJ3.

May 9, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #2,842 of 2,952
I just got a response from another member who’s owned both mentor and mj3 and here’s what he had to say. It’s really rare to hear from people who’ve owned both so i decided to share. IMG_3843.jpeg
I too think the complaints of the mentor lacking in bass is due to its design. It’s really hard to design an amp that has good kick and a stage as wide as the mentors. Hence the MJ3 having a smaller stage. I for one need my bass and wont have it any other way lol it’s weird because before burn in, i was skeptical about the MJ3’s bass. Now after burn-in is a completely different story, is impactful and reaches down as deep as necessary. That and the treble has become super smooth, some recordings can get a bit hot at times but I’m now certain that it’s the nature of the recording and not the MJ3. I am now more content than ever with my MJ3.
I wonder what DAC he was using. With the Cyan 2 Mentor combo I actually hear a pretty nice reach down to sub-bass. Bass in general is not as punchy as the MJ3, but sure it extends down low effortlessly.

May 9, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #2,843 of 2,952
I can see why those would be deal breakers. I too use my MJ3 as a preamp for my two Gjallarhorns to power harder to drive headphones as well as a pair of Klipsch RP600m speakers.

May 9, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #2,844 of 2,952
I wonder what DAC he was using. With the Cyan 2 Mentor combo I actually hear a pretty nice reach down to sub-bass. Bass in general is not as punchy as the MJ3, but sure it extends down low effortlessly.
Yea he also mentions it showing up in tests and measurements, i also believe your experience with the mentor. It’s just interesting to see.

May 9, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #2,845 of 2,952
I hope you enjoy your new Gungnir! That is the DAC I originally wanted, but I was unable to purchase it while it was still in production. Hence my Bifrost 2/64 purchase (got it at a slight discount under B-stock). I am not a 2nd hand market enthusiast otherwise I would have snagged one :wink: . How do you like it over your Bifrost 2?

Call me crazy but I have not hooked up the Gungnir yet. But I'm going to use the Schiit Midgard I just got to compare the BF 2 and Gungnir. Interesting to compare the Midgard with the Singxer SA-1 amp though.

May 10, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #2,847 of 2,952
I didn't use any preamp.
I'm coming from a tube amp.
I wanted an alternative to the tube sound.
Could it be you’re really used to tubes? For me, SS can be a lot drier, typically not as colored, and not as “alive” / organic sounding. Generally more detailed and clear though.

I can definitely see SS sounding a bit flat if coming from a tube amp. Spend some time listening so your brain can adapt

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #2,848 of 2,952
thats honestly preposterous and must be due to his DAC.
sigh.

May 10, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #2,849 of 2,952
thats honestly preposterous and must be due to his DAC.
sigh.
I believe him, but my guess isn't that mentor is rolled off. Mj3 has a boosted sub bass that probably leaves mentor sounding thin down low in comparison. Never heard the 2 side by side, but against every amp I've compared Mj3 against the sub bass authority is usually the most noticable difference.

May 10, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #2,850 of 2,952
I believe him, but my guess isn't that mentor is rolled off. Mj3 has a boosted sub bass that probably leaves mentor sounding thin down low in comparison. Never heard the 2 side by side, but against every amp I've compared Mj3 against the sub bass authority is usually the most noticable difference.
I assure you there is no bass roll off on Mentor nor is it lacking in any bass. Not saying anything about MJ3 just that is a very strange take saying Mentor has bass roll off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back