Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Jan 29, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #1,366 of 2,535
Well the only thing I noticed was when I pushed slightly more on the earphones the sound generally improved so I'm probably going to try a set of comply tips to see if a better seal makes a difference.

I'm sure they will, but - again - I was shocked that they didn't supply a pair at this price so that you could check it out. I have some comply tips for my other earphones, but they didn't fit the Pioneers. Unsure of the right size and faced with extra outlay just to see/hear if they made a difference, I thought, "Ah, feck it" and sent them back.

Jan 29, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #1,367 of 2,535
Same here. Bought it the same time I bought the 300R. It's not too bad but I was a bit disappointed - I have never used balanced before and I probably was expecting too much from it. I have ordered the SE-CH9T(It's bigger brother) and MMCX 2.5 cable so I can still use balanced. I have been reading a lot of good things about the SE-CH9T.

Unlikely you'll be disappointed with the SE-CH9T - whilst not the most resolving, they're superbly musical & respond well to the extra muscle available from the XDP300r in balanced mode. If you want to squeeze the last drop of goodness from them I recommend Symbio W eartips.

I'd urge anyone to go balanced mode - it's worth the effort . Aside from anything else, using it with the stock player is the only way to engage the dual dac/dual amp performance, so not doing so is akin to buying a sportscar, but only ever driving it in 3rd gear.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #1,368 of 2,535
Same here. Bought it the same time I bought the 300R. It's not too bad but I was a bit disappointed - I have never used balanced before and I probably was expecting too much from it. I have ordered the SE-CH9T(It's bigger brother) and MMCX 2.5 cable so I can still use balanced. I have been reading a lot of good things about the SE-CH9T.

Hmmm...interesting. Which cable did you go for? I don't know enough about them and there seem to be a few on the market, even in the UK

Jan 29, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #1,369 of 2,535
Hey, just want to ask if you were able to do the comparison between Onkyo HF and the built in app? It seems to be very similar. Is it exactly the same? I have been told that they are not... Just wanting to check again before I buy the unlocked Onkyo HF player. Thanks in advance.
They have differences with cataloging music, but I didn't see anything different concerning Hi-Def options except the interface. More refined on the Onkyo HF player. Try the demo out first and give it walk through, a lot of people like the slicker interface much better.

Jan 29, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #1,370 of 2,535
Unlikely you'll be disappointed with the SE-CH9T - whilst not the most resolving, they're superbly musical & respond well to the extra muscle available from the XDP300r in balanced mode. If you want to squeeze the last drop of goodness from them I recommend Symbio W eartips.

I'd urge anyone to go balanced mode - it's worth the effort . Aside from anything else, using it with the stock player is the only way to engage the dual dac/dual amp performance, so not doing so is akin to buying a sportscar, but only ever driving it in 3rd gear.

Can't wait for the SE-CH9T to arrive, I also ordered Misodiko M550 tips. Thanks for the recommendation, I will try Symbio W next. I'm still new to these things. 2 months ago all I thought is that its all about the audio player and the headphones. Who knew that cables and ear tips can change sound quality by a lot?!!! :hushed: Hehe. Now I know.

Jan 29, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #1,371 of 2,535
Hmmm...interesting. Which cable did you go for? I don't know enough about them and there seem to be a few on the market, even in the UK

This is the cable I am waiting on:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OKC...32814560265.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.RcVZiJ
This is the first time I am going to change/upgrade cable. I just based my decision from reading peoples recommendation on other threads here in headfi (btw Pioneer SE-CH9T has its own thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pioneer-se-ch9t-premium-in-ear-headphones.857460/). There are cheaper ones and much expensive ones. I chose this which is on the cheaper side but not the cheapest.

EDIT:
I realised I bought the wrong cable - thanks to Andrew Harper.
This is the right one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Woo...40db-47e8-bd81-ff78bf3098a8&priceBeautifyAB=3

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #1,372 of 2,535
Do anyone experience reboot on USB digital output to external DACs?
The case is specific: when there is change in soundtrack sampling frequency, between times of 44.1kHz (CD rips, DSDs) and 48kHz (Hi-Res PCMs)

Also, it only happens on the default music player, but not in other apps such as the app for X1A or Sony's Music Center

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #1,373 of 2,535
This is the cable I am waiting on:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OKC...32814560265.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.RcVZiJ
This is the first time I am going to change/upgrade cable. I just based my decision from reading peoples recommendation on other threads here in headfi (btw Pioneer SE-CH9T has its own thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pioneer-se-ch9t-premium-in-ear-headphones.857460/). There are cheaper ones and much expensive ones. I chose this which is on the cheaper side but not the cheapest.

Unless it's an option on the listing but that's not a balanced cable?

It's a 3.5mm standard plug.

1. 8 Core handmade cable , middle Resolution high treble, high quality sound.
2. Single Crystal Plated Silver and Copper Upgrade Cable prevents original sound from distortion,ensure the pure sound.
3. Gold plated 3.5mm plug, L bending type.
4. Length:120 cm
5.With a high quality Wooden case.

Only mentioning it in case our friend on here orders one by accident. This cable will not allow connection to the balanced socket (2.5mm in size)

Here's the standard Brainwavz version for comparison:

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/coll...balanced-cable-with-mmcx-connector-2-5mm-jack

It is a MMCX connector too so compatible with the Pioneers (which I believe have the same connection)

EDIT: Looks like this one is MMCX and has a 2.5mm balanced connector.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/***...40db-47e8-bd81-ff78bf3098a8&priceBeautifyAB=3

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #1,374 of 2,535
Hey, just want to ask if you were able to do the comparison between Onkyo HF and the built in app? It seems to be very similar. Is it exactly the same? I have been told that they are not... Just wanting to check again before I buy the unlocked Onkyo HF player. Thanks in advance.
FYI 300R is compatible with the stock app of Onkyo's X1/X1A
Onkyo's app provides equivalent functions and smoother UI
You can download and try it here
https://apkpure.com/music/com.opi.onkyo.dap_music
In terms of sound, I look forward to comparison

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #1,375 of 2,535
I run my CH9T in Bal mode and it is very good. My B400 with balanced cable will be here today.

I do love the SQ of this player but the battery life really does suck. I was listening to Spotify Friday night and stopped with around 50% battery left. Forgot to turn of WiFi and went to listen last night and the player was completely dead.

Jan 29, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #1,376 of 2,535
Yeah, I browsed through it and it actually mentions these and the player seems impressive.
However, this being a novelty, you never know how it turns out in the end.
I would believe that this whole bypassing Android mumbo jumbo eventually makes either no or marginal difference.
I was astonished by the sound quality of XDP 100R, now having an Onkyo DP X1 - a doppelganger of XDP 300R and I am equally pleased.
You might go for the XDP 300R, a used one, check it out, then sell it onwards and then buy this new magical device once the price drops :p
It is really hard to tell how the device sounds without there being any proper tests.
Also, not sure if new Android really makes that much of a difference if you are predominantly going to listen to music and two SD slots always come in handy :)

I understand. If I were not to purchase the HiBy R6, should I purchase the XDP-300R, DP-X1, or the DP-X1A? Sorry for asking a lot of questions, but I'm new to the DAP world. This would be my first DAP purchase ever. So, it'd be nice to have something worthy of being a smartphone replacement because I'm likely giving that up. I don't need a phone, and people are very inconsiderate of the fact that I hate being bothered by my phone all day. With that being said, I would likely be on WiFi a lot if I were to get a DAP. I would be on YouTube, browsing the internet, and probably play some games on it once in a while. That's only if I knew I was close to a charger because games drain any mobile device. Anyways, if this DAP isn't the best choice for me, what else could be out there that has a screen size larger than 4"? The best options that I've considered are the HiBy R6 and the Pioneer XDP-300R. Thank you for your time again guys.

Jan 29, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #1,377 of 2,535
For mobile use, I'd use it as is, but for desktop use at work I'd like to use my external dac/amp that will now stay at my desk. Silly me though, I did a search and read through the first few pages of the results, but didn't bother checking the OP which does state it outputs digital audio through micro usb... Also went ahead and purchased it through Amazon Japan to ship to Canada. Came out to about $430 CAD shipped including import/duty fees. Considering Onkyo DP-X1 sells for $750-800 CAD here, I couldn't pass this up...

hi can you tell me pleas where you buy it amazon?

Jan 29, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #1,378 of 2,535
Yeah, I browsed through it and it actually mentions these and the player seems impressive.

However, this being a novelty, you never know how it turns out in the end.

I would believe that this whole bypassing Android mumbo jumbo eventually makes either no or marginal difference.

I was astonished by the sound quality of XDP 100R, now having an Onkyo DP X1 - a doppelganger of XDP 300R and I am equally pleased.

You might go for the XDP 300R, a used one, check it out, then sell it onwards and then buy this new magical device once the price drops :p

It is really hard to tell how the device sounds without there being any proper tests.

Also, not sure if new Android really makes that much of a difference if you are predominantly going to listen to music and two SD slots always come in handy :)
Actually bypassing Android SAMPLING makes a very noticeable difference, hence the reason players such as Hiby, UAPP, Onkyo player exist. Android samples all audio at 48khz. It doesn't sound bad, but not nearly as clean as getting the file pure from the source.

Jan 29, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #1,379 of 2,535
Ah, sorry then for being misleading, I was not aware of this.

As for XDP 300R and DP X1/A - it is a bit hard to tell, 300R and DP X1 are very similar from what I read.

However, the original batch of DP X1 had some recurring issue of headphone jack getting loose after some time, which caused dropouts in signal.

A newer version was later released by Onkyo, called DP X1A and this batch supposedly had the loose jack issue resolved.

Jan 29, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #1,380 of 2,535
Actually bypassing Android SAMPLING makes a very noticeable difference, hence the reason players such as Hiby, UAPP, Onkyo player exist. Android samples all audio at 48khz. It doesn't sound bad, but not nearly as clean as getting the file pure from the source.

so does the dap XDP-300R bypass or not the android fiasko sampling crap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back