Optimal Sony XBA-4 pairing/sound
Apr 18, 2014 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

cuiter23

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey everyone,

I just put a deposit down for the XBA-4ip. It was the last one they had at the Sony store and for an amazing deal ($129) so I had to put a deposit down for them to hold it for me. I really enjoy EDM and using these as my daily when I'm not listening to acoustics or vocals. However, what is discouraging me is that it seems to be very source dependant and all the impedance talk has gotten my head going around in circles. To be straightforward, I currently run an iPod Classic 6G with either Fiio E06 or E07k and also with my laptop with the E07k as a DAC. Do any of you guys have any experience with these set-ups or know how well they pair together with the XBA-4? I really want to know before I pull the trigger on these because I am not able to try it on in person as the box is sealed.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #3 of 7
I have the XBA-3s and I actually like them best straight out of my iPhone, but that is mostly because it reduces the bass a bit and Apple's devices tend to be pretty decent with IEMs. There was a problem, funnily enough, with the XBA series not being compatible with Sony phones! So I think you should be fine with them with what you have -- you are more likely to have issue with a pair of headphones or IEMs because of their overall tonal balance vs. the music you like.

Apr 19, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 7
  I have the XBA-3s and I actually like them best straight out of my iPhone, but that is mostly because it reduces the bass a bit and Apple's devices tend to be pretty decent with IEMs. There was a problem, funnily enough, with the XBA series not being compatible with Sony phones! So I think you should be fine with them with what you have -- you are more likely to have issue with a pair of headphones or IEMs because of their overall tonal balance vs. the music you like.

Hey,

Thanks for the response! I am primarily going to use the XBA-4s for listening to hard EDM music. Therefore, I would say bass quantity is important for me. However, your post gives me optimism to go buy them and try it with my iPod alone and also with my AMP/DAC. It's a shame I have the Sony Xperia ZL (not that I use my phone to listen to music anyway haha). 

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 7
I use the FiiO E17 Alpine with my XPA-4i's with excellent results, connected to myIPhone, IPOD, ASUS laptop and HP Desktop. Perhaps a tad polite, I am looking forward to trying alternative rigs.

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 7
I use the FiiO E17 Alpine with my XPA-4i's with excellent results, connected to myIPhone, IPOD, ASUS laptop and HP Desktop. Perhaps a tad polite, I am looking forward to trying alternative rigs.

Thanks for chiming in! I decided to go with it and paired with my E07k with my Ipod Classic and Laptop wow sounds fantastic. Really loving the low-end!

May 24, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #7 of 7
I do love my XB4-i's for portable use, though at home my HD650's are my HP's of choice at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back