Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Jun 1, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #976 of 4,324
Thanks a lot for the détaillée answer.

So, you use the DMP also as your home source ! May be I could sell my Aurender w20 to fund the pourchasse of the DMP :wink:
I also drive it out of my large stereo connecting to Yamaha A-S3000 :D
Yes, it is an excellent source, and was a primary purchase decision for me. Like I mentioned, the time I auditioned DAVE against DMP at canjam, to my subjective opinion, the DMP was better. So I needed some good source for my Stax and here it is. The portability to do dynamic headphones is a bonus

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/official-sony-dmp-z1-thread.886122/page-63#post-14982516

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #977 of 4,324
I just bought a tia Trio 2 days ago.

Today, I bought this combo and omg... the Z1R with Z1 combo is out of this world. I haven’t even bothered pairing the Trio with Z1 for now.

SWHwNxy.jpg

Attachments

• 89412049-2260-436B-AF3B-2003A56ED8F5.jpeg
    89412049-2260-436B-AF3B-2003A56ED8F5.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #979 of 4,324
it's easy to mistook one's design decision superficially and make own conjecture without hearing it.

I've seen quite a bit of that in this thread..... and the rest of Headfi in general

Jun 1, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #980 of 4,324
Whitigir, go get a vannuys case with a peak design camera strap and you are ready to go

https://www.vannuys.co.jp/official/new_item/vd956-vd957/

Yeah, I may have to as taking DMP around without the case isn’t convenient as I think. The jeans and it brass buttons or spikes would scratch up the DMP....down side is that i have to buy form Japan ...LoL

@buzzlulu , if you listen to DMP with DSD remastering on, you are using Sony DSP chip processor. It isn’t an FPGA as FPGA only stand for Field Programmable Gated Array....it is used for many industries such as automaton and so on. These FPGA were never intended for High quality audio as it was never engineered to eliminate noises or Jitter. Yes, the newer generations are Ofcourse improved ...but still , those people never cared about Audio. The reason why Chord and other people uses it is because they are not capable of producing their own IC, so buying a Massive Production FPGA and program it is a better choice.

I would think TA-ZH1ES was designed with FPGA by the same reason....to keep affordable cost for the newest features DSD remastering engine and Sony own DSP processor. The FPGA inside the TA is simply acting as a 1 bit DAC to by pass the DSD-remastered signal by the Sony DSP-IC. When you are not using this feature, then you are using S-Master instead. The FPGA inside the TA-ZH1ES was never a main DAC. The main DAC is S-Master HX

The reason why Sony isn’t using S-Master and choose to use AK4497EQ is already listed as I posted (to be able to enable DSD-remastering engine without implementing another FPGA and make the size even larger) remember, Sony is capable of not only the algorithm for DSD processing without delta-sigma IC chip, but is also capable of making their own dedicated Digital Signal Processing Chip! The DSP is the most important here as it is noises free and engineered for high quality sound. The AK4497EQ is also multi bit DAC that is capable of bypassing 1 bit stream Dedicatedly. Again, it isn’t easy for Sony to decide to pick AK4497EQ as they are very proud of their own product.

The reason why I attended Canjam NYC is for DMP and compare to Chord DAVE. It sounded wonderful, but I just had to do more homework’s to decide. So it is not a change of heart, but more like the more I researched, the more I learned about DMP and why it was engineered this way.

**this just crossed my mind** but the FPGA in the TA May be the reason why (DSD remastering didn’t sound as good as DMP)....given the same algorithms ? Also the TA has different components inside as well

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #982 of 4,324
Yeah, I may have to as taking DMP around without the case isn’t convenient as I think. The jeans and it brass buttons or spikes would scratch up the DMP....down side is that i have to buy form Japan ...LoL

@buzzlulu , if you listen to DMP with DSD remastering on, you are using Sony DSP chip processor. It isn’t an FPGA as FPGA only stand for Field Programmable Gated Array....it is used for many industries such as automaton and so on. These FPGA were never intended for High quality audio as it was never engineered to eliminate noises or Jitter. Yes, the newer generations are Ofcourse improved ...but still , those people never cared about Audio. The reason why Chord and other people uses it is because they are not capable of producing their own IC, so buying a Massive Production FPGA and program it is a better choice.

The reason why Sony isn’t using S-Master and choose to use AK4497EQ is already listed as I posted (to be able to enable DSD-remastering engine without implementing another FPGA and make the size even larger) remember, Sony is capable of not only the algorithm for DSD processing without delta-sigma IC chip, but is also capable of making their own dedicated Digital Signal Processing Chip! The DSP is the most important here as it is noises free and engineered for high quality sound. The AK4497EQ is also multi bit DAC that is capable of bypassing 1 bit stream Dedicatedly. Again, it isn’t easy for Sony to decide to pick AK4497EQ as they are very proud of their own product.

How does Sony DSD engine compare to HQplayer paired with t+a dac 8 dsd? More importantly, how does DMP-Z1 scale when paired with something like hqplayer? I know you are a big fan of DSD512, and I have to admit I do hear the big deal of PCM 786, and I do like DSD, but I hear sonic improvement of double DXD more easily. Do you think Z1 is up there compare to something like DAC 8 DSD?

Jun 1, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #983 of 4,324
How does Sony DSD engine compare to HQplayer paired with t+a dac 8 dsd? More importantly, how does DMP-Z1 scale when paired with something like hqplayer? I know you are a big fan of DSD512, and I have to admit I do hear the big deal of PCM 786, and I do like DSD, but I hear sonic improvement of double DXD more easily. Do you think Z1 is up there compare to something like DAC 8 DSD?

This question is a little vague. I never heard the T+A 8, so I can’t really comment here. I know for a fact that DSD remastering is awesome on the DMP.

How does HQPlayer and or HQplayerPro stack up against the DMP ? I guess there are 2 questions here. If you meant the algorithms ? I know for the fact that HQplayerPro has a lot of options to tinker with, after all it is a product for studio mastering folks. The HQPlayer is “on the fly processing”, so it disadvantage is that it heavily relying on the PC that is built as a digital sources. Therefore, if you meant Hardware stuff ? The HQPlayer would need a very expensive Digital source. Algorithms and offline ? The HQplayerPro cost $3k or so right ? And you need some memory with it

I have not tried to compare HQPlayer on the fly from my built PC to DSD remastering withint DMP yet....I will do it, but not sure when :). The DMP remaster into DSD128 or 2X the SACD

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #986 of 4,324
4F5B9034-2BF8-47B2-9015-C172308E1353.jpeg

I went to a show a few days ago and tried the Hifiman He1000se on Z1. Unexpectedly the headphone is not hard to drive with the balanced high gain output of Z1. The combo sounded just Wow, a heart touching warm and fluffy sound I never heard before.My daughter loved it and wanted it so much but my wallet was already empty.

Jun 3, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #987 of 4,324

I went to a show a few days ago and tried the Hifiman He1000se on Z1. Unexpectedly the headphone is not hard to drive with the balanced high gain output of Z1. The combo sounded just Wow, a heart touching warm and fluffy sound I never heard before.My daughter loved it and wanted it so much but my wallet was already empty.

AHHH so difficult choice ! What will be the Very BEST headphone to buy for the Z1 ? Hifiman He1000se ? ABYSS Diana Phi ? Sony MDR-Z1R ? .....

Jun 3, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #989 of 4,324

Able to drive it well is the key though. Those Hifiman are notoriously difficult to drive well. They usually sound their best with top end solid state amps with plenty of driving power on tap.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #990 of 4,324
I had a chance to listen to dmp z1 in a more extended setting. It’s tonality is certainly similar to the wm1 series. It has potential which I think M9 could not display.

My issue is the tonality, I prefer the r2r2k tonality. But I can see myself getting the z1 down the line.
I don’t see myself loading two 512 GB microsd and 256 GB and navigate via that screen.
I see myself using an iPad Pro and a USB C for sure, that is the best experience one can hope for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back