Night Oblivion Butastur thread
Aug 15, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #32 of 340
Well guys I have my Batustur and what I can say thus far is simple:
Amazing!!!

It's a very very well tuned IEM following the QDC style with details and clarity being its main focus.
Bass is sufficient to give mids and highs the necessary information to complete their presentation.
If anything my personal preference asked for a little extra bass energy, but truthfully UB40 sounds perfect so this ain't even a defect but rather the way it was tuned.

Although it has switches the 10 setup yields a mild 1db boost to the bass which is unnoticed.

The 01 setting however boosts upper mids and treble but it's not necessary, lack of energy and detail is not an issue with the Butastur.
Mids and Highs are so exceptional that I thought it had EST at times.

One thing I will say, it is very source sensitive and careful matching is a must.
With the VE RA2B-FE & Prime DAC, a combo which is very organic, the Butastur was not at its best.....the matching just didn't work
However the A50s with Prime Improved things but the A50s or NX7 with Cayin-ru7 was exceptional....pure magic!

Comparisons are being made with SA6MK2 , Neon Pro , and I will try to get Anole VX again.
As for Supernova it will be hard but I can tell you the Butastur is bringing the above mentioned IEMs the "pain"
Hello @Tonytex can you throw the SR8 into the comparison?

Aug 15, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #33 of 340
My Eagle has landed too...

1000056346.jpg

1000056350.jpg

As usual this thingy sure looks a lot better in real life than pics from a mobile can show.

I actually listen to it while I am writing this (Mahler Symphony No. 1, 2nd set, Daniel Harding & Berliner Philharmoniker).

Simply put - I already like them a lot! :)

But let me explain a bit, as I use them in another cable/tip configuration than the one AmericanSpirit may have had in mind.

Taking them out of the box I first applied my usual Comply foamies. Sorry AS, I love these and use them on all my IEM… And though I have 570s on order they have not arrived yet, so I naturally grabbed my favourites.

First shock: ootb they sounded totally off. Oh no, please not a defect item! Well it turned out that I had simply failed in putting the changeable plug rightly into its socket…

Directly exchanged the cable and tried the just arrived AüR Athena. Much better, everything fell into place. But a few minutes in, it still did not feel rightly right to me. As the Athena was just a guess and not burned in, I rolled cable once more and attached a Penon Leo Plus.

And holy moly - that’s it, what a combo. Just beautiful. The timbre now has a very natural and musical touch especially with classical music and a few Jazz pieces I tried.

The Butastur in 00 mode - nothing else tried yet - has a very - really VERY - detailed but still coherent sound signature. Have not directly compared it to the Neon Pro yet but would say it is at least on par with the latter in that respect. I would describe the Butastur as a tad more dry (which I like) and maybe lacking just a tad more bass slam for my taste and compared to the Neon Pro (switch off too). But that characteristic also opens up the soundstage of the Butastur and makes it different enough to probably own both sets.

But hey, these are just early first impressions, so oc it is much to early to judge this and to much to play around with switch wise.

Congrats to AS and the whole Night Oblivion team though - imo they have a winner here! No regrets getting one out of the first batch.

PS Source has been my Hiby R6P2 and the Eagle is very comfortable to wear - size wise (small) as well as in that I had absolutely no pressure build up…

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #34 of 340
I got mine a little earlier than anticipated, so I'm just running them through their paces.

Right of the box, these are a very competently tuned pair of IEMs. There's nothing that immediately stands out as harsh or fatiguing, quite the opposite, I seem to be able to go louder with these than I can with most of the other IEMs I've had - this must be that BRAS vent system at work :darthsmile:

Soundstage is wide, separation is excellent, and vocals come in loud and clear. I mostly listen to rock and metal with a lot of other genres mixed in and these definitely do guitars and drums justice!

As others have mentioned, I do wish that the 1 switch increased the bass a little more significantly, but honestly in the 1-0 position there's plenty of punch and slam coming from the drums as it is so this is more of a want than a need.

All in all, I'm very impressed with what AmericanSpirit and his team at Night Oblivion have pulled off with their first venture and look forward to what they can put together in the future! I'll have to wait a week for the "new toy syndrome" to wear off and see if my thoughts remain the same, but so far I believe that this is a safe buy for anyone that is looking for an all-arounder that will work wonders across their entire music catalogue.

Aug 16, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #36 of 340
Just wanted to share some more graphs incase they hadn't been seen

Attachments

• Butastur 01 vs NP Bass Off.jpg
    Butastur 01 vs NP Bass Off.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Butastur 01 vs NP Bass Off.jpg
    Butastur 01 vs NP Bass Off.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Butastur 00 01.jpg
    Butastur 00 01.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Butastur vs NP ON OFF (1).jpg
    Butastur vs NP ON OFF (1).jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Butastur vs NP ON OFF.jpg
    Butastur vs NP ON OFF.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 0
  • NO Butastur vs Dunu.jpg
    NO Butastur vs Dunu.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 0
  • NO Butastur vs Anole.jpg
    NO Butastur vs Anole.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 0
  • NO Butastur vs NP.jpg
    NO Butastur vs NP.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 0
  • NO Butastur vs Supernova.jpg
    NO Butastur vs Supernova.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 0
Aug 16, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #37 of 340
Thanks, Tony, very much appreciate those measurements! :)
Maybe you have your own squig account, so we can play with it some more?

Aug 16, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #38 of 340
Aug 16, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #40 of 340
Can you post a macrodynamic Butatsur vs. Supernova vs. Neon Pro (on)?

Aug 17, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #43 of 340
Opinions?????????????????????????????????
This is a BA set so I don't do any burn in process.
Construction is very good. They look like a small piece of artwork.
The included cable feels very sturdy and the colour and weaving transpires quality.
All of my listening was made with the stock cable, H570 tips my Fiio M11S and the Butastur in the default setting.

The first thing that I noticed was the timbre. It's very natural. Saint Germain sounded lovely!
The second is the detail and separation capabilities of this IEM.
I listened to Offspring and Fear Factory and the ability to present the instruments individually in busy tracks is very very good.
Never owned a all BA set before, generally I never felt lack of bass, except in some Fear Factory songs... But I came from listening the Xenns Top so that's that... In the rest of the songs that I listened I never felt that the bass was missing, and one of the things that impressed me was the amount of bass this set has... It's goes deep it has power and it's there when is called.
Finally the treble. There's a lot of it. In a good way. Once again, with Fear Factory it never became harsh but I can see people that came from sets with underdeveloped treble, listening to this for the first time and think this is to analytical. Guys, it's not, it's just good!
With Offspring and Saint Germain, the treble completes the overall presentation beautifully.
The mids are layered, detail and natural.
I will refrain of saying much more because I listened them for about 2 hours max...
But I can see this becoming the benchmark for what a 500$/600$ IEM should sound.

Aug 17, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #44 of 340
This is a BA set so I don't do any burn in process.
Construction is very good. They look like a small piece of artwork.
The included cable feels very sturdy and the colour and weaving transpires quality.
All of my listening was made with the stock cable, H570 tips my Fiio M11S and the Butastur in the default setting.

The first thing that I noticed was the timbre. It's very natural. Saint Germain sounded lovely!
The second is the detail and separation capabilities of this IEM.
I listened to Offspring and Fear Factory and the ability to present the instruments individually in busy tracks is very very good.
Never owned a all BA set before, generally I never felt lack of bass, except in some Fear Factory songs... But I came from listening the Xenns Top so that's that... In the rest of the songs that I listened I never felt that the bass was missing, and one of the things that impressed me was the amount of bass this set has... It's goes deep it has power and it's there when is called.
Finally the treble. There's a lot of it. In a good way. Once again, with Fear Factory it never became harsh but I can see people that came from sets with underdeveloped treble, listening to this for the first time and think this is to analytical. Guys, it's not, it's just good!
With Offspring and Saint Germain, the treble completes the overall presentation beautifully.
The mids are layered, detail and natural.
I will refrain of saying much more because I listened them for about 2 hours max...
But I can see this becoming the benchmark for what a 500$/600$ IEM should sound.
Congrats that you have received yours! :beerchug:

I had a second listening session yesterday with bass switch on and guess that will be the way I use it from now on. Just the right amount of bass added for my taste.

Right now - still honeymoon phase - the Eagle seems to be as energetic as the Neon Pro being slightly, just a tad less forward / aggressive and airier at the same time. Very nice signature up my alley. I feel as if this could become my goto set for classical music, Jazz and other more acoustic stuff while the NP will be the one for Rock/Pop/Electronic

But take this impressioms with a grain of salt, as I have not directly compared it to my NP yet which I will not do before I have settled on the right Butastur config for me...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back